• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Tree View Popuplation

Started by alstaszko, 2011.02.19, 14:29:32

Previous topic - Next topic

alstaszko

How many OS/2-eCS user have had this problem at one time or another (it happens to me
with alarming regularity):

You have built up a vast collection of files, images and videos in numerous folders and sub-folders.
You open the drive in tree view and then open a folder with numerous children and it only part populates.
At this point PM or WPS is shagged!

If you attempt to open any folder the system hangs.

This basic bug needs fixing: it's been around for years.

Despite all the excellent work in allowing os/2-eCS to install on the latest hardware
and the ports of some of the most useful applications and tools to this platform, this bug
is what stops me recommending this OS.

I stilll use it (since 1992), but I don't mention it or the the bug - my excuse is that I love it's interface
and the "security through obscurity".

If this OS is still being sold in the form of eCS, then Serenity Systems really do need to get IBM to
address the problem described above.

Andy Staszko

miturbide

Hi alstaszko

I haven't suffered from nasty bugs on the tree view, but please tell me which version of OS2-ecs are you using? how many subfolders level gives you the problem?, can you post a picture?

Martin
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Ben

I haven't had this problem with the Tree View either, but I sure have had it with folder icon population.

I remember this problem coming up every so often years ago when IBM still supported OS/2 for the user, and the conclusion was that it was a design limitation in the WPS. At that time, it was never expected that users would have that many files in one folder.

If you walk away from the machine, eventually it will fully populate and control will be restored.

I avoid this problem by staying away from the WPS when accessing such folders and using by a file manager that is not WPS dependent like FM/2, for such occasions.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same problem here, but if we are, I hope that this helps.

melf

Same experience here, no such troubles. There is a setting in the workplace shell>"folder views" called "Lazy load datafile icons" which may be intended to address such problems. The help file says:

"If "Lazy-load data file icons" is checked, folders will fill more quickly when they are first opened. All data files, including program files, will receive a temporary default icon first. eComStation will then determine the final icon (depending on the file's association or executable icon) in the background. While the icons are being loaded, you can already work with the files in the folder."
/Mikael

DougB

I see that problem sometimes. It usually starts happening after an extended uptime (7 days, or so). A WPS restart will clear it, temporarily, but if I don't reboot within a few minutes, the system will hang, and then it takes a hard reset to get out of it. I have seen the problem on all versions of eCS, but it gets worse as time goes on. It is also possible, that I saw it before I got eCS, but it was so rare that I don't remember it. I have seen the problem on any system that I don't turn off at night (only one, normally), but I have seen the problem on more than one system.

I do (did) have "lazy load" enabled. I have just turned that off. I seem to remember something about that feature causing trouble, a few years ago. I don't know if it will help, or not, but I am going to try it. I am booting more often, for other reasons, so I may not see it until I get my systems settled down a bit.

Most of the time, when I see the problem, I will open a drive, and I notice that it only partly populates the tree view. If I then close that drive, and try to open it again, it is empty. Any other drive that I attempt to open is also empty. By the third drive, the machine locks up. I am also seeing something similar with the EVFSGUI display of a SAMBA drive, but that usually gets displayed, if I wait for a minute or so, but if I try to rush it, it will lock up.

I don't think it is a design limitation, since it works fine, for a while. It is more likely some sort of resource depletion, or a memory leak. The problem could be in the WPS, or it could be in eWorkplace ("lazy load" is a XWorkplace/eWorkplace feature, but they also add a whole load of other things too).

aschn

Quote from: melf on 2011.02.19, 18:52:25
The help file says:

"If "Lazy-load data file icons" is checked, folders will fill more
quickly when they are first opened. All data files, including program
files, will receive a temporary default icon first. eComStation will
then determine the final icon (depending on the file's association or
executable icon) in the background. While the icons are being loaded,
you can already work with the files in the folder."

Please don't activate XWP's lazy-load feature. It's not ready and has
sever bugs (not as much as for Turbo Folders, but much).

I would look them up, if anyone is interested.

Andreas

aschn

Quote from: alstaszko link=topic=3054.msg18679#msg18679
date=1298118572
You have built up a vast collection of files, images
and videos in numerous folders and sub-folders. You open the drive in
tree view and then open a folder with numerous children and it only
part populates. At this point PM or WPS is shagged!

If you want to hang the WPS, just open folders with many objects. I
haven't noticed a difference for tree view compared to the other
views.

Maybe reducing the ini files sizes can make the effect appear later.

IMO (regarding today's amount of data) we're at the point where the
buggy WPS is even more useful than it gets on my nerves.

Andreas

CDRWSel

Yes,

WPS often hangs.
Other case of hang. When I move a big folder with many files and sub-folders under it to an other disk location using:

Open folder location where folder to move resides
Open folder location where I expecte move the folder

Select folder from source + RMB and select move from the menu
Into the destination, select the open destibation folder and proceed. After several files and sub-folders are moved, all system hang !
I have to power off/on to restore the system.

RD     

CDRWSel

Sometimes,

When WPS hang, doing Ctrl+escape (3 or 4 consecutive times), wait 5 to 15 seconds and a popup message appears about an invalid Pid (thread) ! Close it and the WPS works again ...