• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SAMBA / CUPS Configuration Needed to share printer to windows client

Started by ghelfrich, 2011.02.08, 17:18:44

Previous topic - Next topic

ghelfrich

I have set up SAMBA on my eCS v2 machine to share several USB drives to my other eCS machines and windows laptop.  I have been doing this for 6 months and it has worked quite well.  Now that I have some experience and experience using it, I wanted to also set up an old HP PhotoSmart 1215 printer to the same eCS machine and share it to my other machines, particularly my windows laptop. 

The other evening, I was able to install CUPS set up this printer using an USB connection.  From this local machine, I can print to the printer using CUPS.  The SAMBA configuration utility recognizes the printer as a shared resource. 

Here is my issue and question.  What CUPS and SAMBA configuration do I need to change to allow other machines to see this printer to be able to print to.  It does look like my windows vista laptop does recognize the printer when I point to \\machine ip\printer name     It will add the printer, but the status shows as "access denied".  I have been doing some research, and it appears I need to config to have the printer set up with anonymous access or such.  I found the following website which gave some good details on what to look at: 

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing/sharing_with_windows.html

However, my eCS SAMBA config files look just enough different to be confusing.  Needless to say, I tried to do as much as I could or figure out, but it still doesn't work.  I have not been able to find a lot of (good) info on how to share a printer using CUPS through SAMBA on eCS with both windows and other eCS machines.

Does anyone have any idea or experience on how to set this up (ie CUPS / SAMBA configuration changes) to share this printer to other windows clients?   Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pete

Hi

Sorry, no idea on how to get this working myself - but I may have read a newsgroup post about it...

Have a look at these thread "Printing to printers connected to a Samba server" on news://news.gmane.org/gmane.org.netlabs.ecups.devel

You may also want to look at "SAMBA, EVFS and printing" on news://news.gmane.org/gmane.org.netlabs.samba.user

Regards

Pete

herwigb

Adding

guest ok = Yes

to the section of the printer share in smb.conf should be sufficient to ensure anonymous access to the printer.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

ghelfrich

It's interesting you mention adding that.  I had found a similar mention of doing that in the link I had included in my earlier post.  I had verified I had that added to the [HPPhotoS] printer section in smb.conf.  The link mentioned having to do other things as well, which weren't quite clear.  I guess the reason I am saying all this is because having this alone didn't resolve the issue. 

From 2 different windows clients, they seem to see the printer when I add it as a network printer when I point the setup to \\(ip addr for samba machine)\hpphotos   

But it appears to be restricted in accessing to print because it lists the printer status as 'access denied ...' after adding the printer.  I can't see where I can access the printer using a specific account like I do when I map samba drives to the same machine.  Do I need to have the guest account on the samba machine set up a certain way, or in a certain group, or ....?  I just don't know. 

Let me also ask, when you mentioned adding guest access, are you also saying that what I am trying to do should work or does work? 

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

herwigb

A few considerations:

- Our Samba is compiled without CUPS integration.
- Nevertheless it is possible to share ANY printer queue available on an eCS (OS/2) system successfully with our Samba Server.
- Printer drivers have to be installed locally on the client.
- If you get an access denied , there is something wrong with your configuration (smb.conf and/or user setup).

General advice: It seems your guest access does not have enough rights to print.

Proper setup of rights is just something to do...

So: Your scenario should definitely work.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.