• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How do I convert this?

Started by jep, 2011.03.02, 20:16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

jep

I have 120 images that I've converted to an animation ( eCs.fli, 11.3 Mb ) that look great (in my opinion at least) in the built in player for OS/2-eCS. However, I'd like to convert it to another format (mpeg) but still maintain compability with the built in player. ffmpeg can compress it to 160 - 260 kB, but compability seem to go down the drain, why?

CDRWSel

Hi Jep,

You can do it using AVxCAT.
Just create a dummy audio file for the time it should play (or a background music you prefer).
In any case, this audio file must have the final time lenth of you video (use any audio file, set the volume to its minimum value and use the cut option to adjust it time. This will give you a dummy mp3 audio file

Next, set AVxCAT to Video mode
- Select "FLV flash *slideshow*"
- Select/Add the dummy audio file you created
- Select advanced option and click RMB on the "thumbnail viewer".
- From the RMB menu, "select new Picture" and choice the first numbered picture of you list (may be *.001) - be carefull, all pictures must be same size (and BMP)
- Don't change the formet nor change size from default under the main menu (picture size is always taken)
- Change the Frate (default "0.333" for slideshow) to may be "25" for great animation if you created 25 images be played in one second (generally what is done for a very nice rendering)

Note: The default output format is Flash (FLV)
          If you don't like this format, you can change it doing like this as last step before press GO
          - Don't modify previous settings
          - Change the profile from "FLV flash *Slide-show*" to "User defined Value"
          - This preserves all your setting and enables user specific settings
          - Change Type from "flv" to "avi-xvid" or other options (try not use mp4) and you'll get a very high quality AVI video (tip top) with the size of the created bitmap (e.g. 800x600 (4:3 sized) or a compatible 16:10 sized picture for 16:10 video)          

Click on GO and view how nice you animation is with your selected video codec  
I did a try creating an AVI like I describe it above with some of you bmp and Whouah ! very beautiful

I would you suggest to try my new test build from today. It has some enhancements and this part should be a bit simplifed (previous build has two more actions be done as it is described above)    
Get it here:

http ://remydodin.levillage.org/outils /AVXCAT_S-1_2_0.wpi

Please remove blanks in the link name
Read the readme.1st file about changes into this test build  

Kind regards,
Remy

CDRWSel

Now,

To get a default OS2 player compatible video with high quality.
- OS2 player is limited in its max size (any value above 480x360 I tried didn't play)

Starting with this, as soon you downscale a size with a video tool, you'll lose quality.
To prevent this, create the BMPs at the expected resolution (in this case 480x360) using a great bmp converter like PMVIEW (at 480x360, quality is very good and the blue has no bad degraded colors in it)

Now, follow steps I give above. At last step after switch to "User defined value"
Select type "mpeg-OS2" and check you have Size to "Default"
Press Go and you'll get an xxx.mpg compatible OS/2

You will be surprised that this resolution once you put it in fullscreen with the default os/2 player always gives a good visual quality (you can increase the video "Bitrate" to increase its quality but it increases the file size too.   

Of course, you can take your original video as input and use directly the profile "AVI/Mpeg1 os/2 player 480x360" but in this case, I suppose a downscale will happen and the quality will then be degraded (e.g. the bue in your picture will have bad degraded color level despite what you try)

Cheers
Remy 

CDRWSel

I refreshed v1.2.0 test build
(added an audio extraction from video file correction + option to add voix filters on all files from the list + updated doc)

Kind regards
Remy