• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How to turn off image preview in folders?

Started by Tomasikus, 2011.03.06, 23:43:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomasikus

Hi! I can't seem to find where in eCS 1.2r I turn off the preview of images/pictures in folders. If I open a folder that contains many large pictures/images, such as a folder of digital camera pictures, the CPU meter goes to 99% and stays there until all pictures have been processed into icon images. This can take several minutes since my computer is a bit old and during this time the system is unusable due to the high CPU load. The feature causes me some headache since I often just want to copy a few pictures to somewhere else. How do I turn image previewing off?

Best regards, Thomas H

ivan

I don't think you can but there is a way round that - use something like FM/2 or File Freedom where you only get file names.

ivan

Pete

Hi Tomasikus

I've not seen that problem myself and suspect it is related to a WPS enhancer either installed with eCS or added later by yourself. My only suggestion is to ascertain what WPS enhancer is involved and see if you can change settings to get it working how you want - or uninstall it.

Regards

Pete

Robert Deed

Quote from: Tomasikus on 2011.03.06, 23:43:18
Hi! I can't seem to find where in eCS 1.2r I turn off the preview of images/pictures in folders. If I open a folder that contains many large pictures/images, such as a folder of digital camera pictures, the CPU meter goes to 99% and stays there until all pictures have been processed into icon images. This can take several minutes since my computer is a bit old and during this time the system is unusable due to the high CPU load. The feature causes me some headache since I often just want to copy a few pictures to somewhere else. How do I turn image previewing off?

Best regards, Thomas H

If you allow an application such as PMView generate the thumbnails it generally performs a bit better.

rreimers

Image preview was supposed to be an enhancement but turned out to be an annoying feature due to  slow performance. Responsible for image preview is the file \MMOS2\DLL\gbm.dll. The original gbm.dll was very slow. In the meantime there is a replacement in the package "Generalised Bitmap utilities"  (see Hobbes) which is much faster. However, according to my opinion not fast enough yet. So, my recommendation is to rename gbm.dll  in order to turn iconic preview off. Hope this  helps.

Roland Reimers