• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Java for os2

Started by eilygre, 2011.03.14, 21:59:17

Previous topic - Next topic

sXwamp

I got SecureFTP 2.61, jAlbum's v9.2, jEdit 4.4pre1, jFTP 4.0, Jeti/2 Jabber IM and JPhotoBrush working.

Mercury 2.0 rc8 has some problems, but it's almost there.

Here are some screen shots, plus zip files for the non-working installers:

http://www.os2notes.com/os2java6.html

Greggory

miturbide

Anybody willing to Try Jake2  (Java port of Quake 2).
http://bytonic.de/html/jake2.html

I saw some windows DLLs on the program, but the author says it is pure java.

I'm still looking around for the Quake 2 files to test it.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

abwillis

I downloaded the installer and the installer ran fine but when it gets to the point of what modules to install there are no modules available.  I went ahead and forged on and at the end it had created a folder with the uninstaller, nothing else.  I then looked at the jnlp version and there are two versions...

"You have the choice to start Jake2 with jogl OpenGL driver and joal OpenAL driver or to use lwjgl as OpenGL and audio library. The lwjgl version has the advantage of better fullscreen support especially on linux and it is slightly faster than jogl. But there are still some keyboard issues with the lwjgl version (deadkeys and repeats are not handled properly). So try out both versions and use the one you like better."

miturbide

Hi

I tried with Java6 RC2 runnig it with:

SET CP=lib/jake2.jar;lib/jogl.jar;lib/joal.jar
java -Xmx100M -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Djava.library.path=lib/windows -cp %CP% jake2.Jake2

The program loaded only till it downloaded the Shareware quake2 levels. Them it just hangs on Initializing client subsystem...
I can not grab the complete error, so I post some screenshots.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

jep

It require 3D graphics with OpenGL Support (+ JOGL JAVA OpenGL), something that is not available in OS/2 until (hopefully) Mr. Sharpe has something ready for prime time and Odin can use it as well.

//Jan-Erik

Sigurd

Hi,

I do have Merlin now running on the X200T with SMP Support, WLAN, LAN, UMTS(WWAN), Stylus..... It was really hard to figure out the right IRQ selection in BIOS, and most astonishing: it runs much more better and reliable with AHCI (in fact WLAN is NOT working without it) - I do not know if this is due to the fact that is is running from an Corsair 2 SSD using HPFS File System (Merlin does have JFS support for the other Partitions :-) ). It did never crash so far and is very fast!

And I did test Java 6 (the "SMP safe" one) on it - congratulations to Silvan Scherrer and his Team!!!

I do use Jarnal (a Journal program to be used with the Stylus, similar to the Windows Journal) and JDraw to draw with the Stylus to draw  :)

It seems that those need a bit longer to start with Java 16 than 1.42, but the look much more pretty, see picture attached.

Super!

Sigurd

diver

thanks for all the positive feedback. we just hope that we get more sponsorunits, as we still lack a lot to reach the goal.
And i have to say, even a lot people don't want to hear it, without Mensys OpenJDK would never have been done.
Mensys is the main sponsor behind all that. With Qt the community was a big help, as they really sponsored a lot.
With OpenJDK it seems, at least according to the sponsored units, the community is not interested to get it.

I hope you prove me wrong in the next couple of weeks.

regards and keep on testing
Silvan

craigm

Not trying to hijack this group but is there anywhere that shows me how to install Java?

I downloaded everything from: http://svn.netlabs.org/java and installed:

GCC 4 Core Libraries, Odin32 Library, and systray widget.

Odin and systray install fine since they are WarpIn, GCC 4 was already installed.

I could not find anything with a readme on where to put the file OPENJDK6_B22_SDK_OS2_RC2-20110328_MPUNSAFE. I did not see an install anywhere. Can anyone show me where a step by step walk-though is?

I want to start testing some apps but can't even get past the Java install.

diver

Sigurd

Quote from: diver on 2011.04.02, 21:55:56

I hope you prove me wrong in the next couple of weeks.

regards and keep on testing
Silvan

Yes, you are right - I try to do my best and it was really time to donate something to you and your team, so I did it yesterday - not only to proof you wrong but also to support your great work. Hope it helps a bit.

Sigurd

Pete

Hi craigm

The openjdk6 files are in a zip file so you simply need to unzip it to your choice of location but keep the directory structure that exists within the zip file.

I unzip to my temp directory and then copy the contents of the \temp\"ridiculously-log-filename-with-build-and-date-information" to my existing openjdk6 directory and finally delete the \temp\"ridiculously-log-filename-with-build-and-date-information" directory.

I do not use Path or LibPath entries in config.sys but simply start my java apps using the full path to the java(w).exe file with the jar file as a parameter in a program object; eg for JPhotoBrush:-

J:\JAVA\OPENJDK6\BIN\JAVAW.EXE
-jar J:\Java\jphotobrush\jphotobrush.jar

Hope the above helps

Pete

craigm

Pete,

I tried that but I seriously don't think I am smart enough. I made a dir called c:\openjdk6 and put all the files there.

I then went to bin/javaw.exe and tried to put in the attrib for Jeti/2, it did not work.

However, there is an awesome app all called Run Java that is a generic script for starting java13 and java14 apps in OS/2-eCS.

I used it all the time in 1.4 but now that 1.6 is out it will not use it. I have emailed the author to see if he will update the app. Fingers crossed. Blah, update, his email got kicked back...well, I guess I will wait for 2.1 to come out and hopefully have it right in the OS.

Pete

Hi craigm

Well, I'm not a java expert and I've never used Jeti/2 - some sort of chat client? - so I'm probably not going to be much help in getting this working  :-)

I did not really understand this line in your post "I then went to bin/javaw.exe and tried to put in the attrib for Jeti/2, it did not work."

Create a program object called "Jeti - java6" from c:\openjdk6\bin\javaw.exe then open the Properties for that object and add in the necessary Parameters to start Jeti/2.

If that fails try starting from a command line in the directory c:\openjdk6\bin  eg:-

c:\openjdk6\bin\java.exe -jar [drive:]PathTo\jeti.jar

If the command line fails then, with a bit of luck, you should get some sort of message why.

Regards

Pete

Ben

Quote from: craigm on 2011.04.05, 04:09:27I then went to bin/javaw.exe and tried to put in the attrib for Jeti/2, it did not work.

However, there is an awesome app all called Run Java that is a generic script for starting java13 and java14 apps in OS/2-eCS.

I used it all the time in 1.4 but now that 1.6 is out it will not use it. I have emailed the author to see if he will update the app. Fingers crossed. Blah, update, his email got kicked back...well, I guess I will wait for 2.1 to come out and hopefully have it right in the OS.

Jeti comes with a self-installer.

After it has completed its task an icon is created with a reference to a "JETI2START.CMD".

Here is its contents:

@echo off

echo. Jeti2Start.cmd for eCS / OS/2... Create from ES-Jeti2 Installation

Set BeginLibPath=C:\PROGRAMS\JAVA142\BIN\;
Set PATH=C:\PROGRAMS\JAVA142\BIN\;%PATH%

REM SET USER_HOME=C:\my upload-downloadDir

Javaw -jar Jeti2.jar

I'm stating the obvious when I write; adjust it to your own drive and directory spec.s.

You might have done all of this already, but if you have not, then you have the necessaries now. 8)

And if this is irrelevant to your goal, then just write this message off as a weak attempt to increase my post count... :o

NOT!  :D

Heheheh...

miturbide

I just notice this.

"The TIOBE Programming Community index is an indicator of the popularity of programming languages. The index is updated once a month. The ratings are based on the number of skilled engineers world-wide, courses and third party vendors. The popular search engines Google, Bing, Yahoo!, Wikipedia, YouTube and Baidu are used to calculate the ratings. Observe that the TIOBE index is not about the best programming language or the language in which most lines of code have been written."

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

Java is #1, another reason why this port is important for eCS-OS2.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide