• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Java for os2

Started by eilygre, 2011.03.14, 21:59:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I have to say, I did not expect JAVA to be in the number one position.

I would have thought that "C", (or a variant thereof), would hold that spot.

Interesting...

miturbide

Ben, I also didn't expected to see Java in the #1 position. I just find that post in reddit.com and grabbed my attention.  But there are other studies that put C on top of Java - http://langpop.com/(15-Feb).
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

abwillis

Java is what the kids are taught in colleges anymore.  I've talked to some of them going to school over the last several years as well as when I was considering going back to school and checking into degree programs found that you can hardly even find a C course, some C++ but mostly Java.  For degrees with programming emphasis, Java is often required but C++ is an elective and several I looked at didn't even have C.

Ben

That's a clear tell.

Lots to be deduced from it, and potential predictions based upon it.

Understanding that, it also points to the origins of changes within our "education" systems curriculum.

JAVA is not a natural forerunner. There is a missing piece creating an apparent nonsequitur; we're in the dark here... or at least some are.

miturbide

Does anybody tried Netbeans with this Java release?

I had download it but I don-t see it as a platform independent .jar file to run, on the binaries I see an exe and a linux file.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

lpino

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.04.08, 00:54:03
Does anybody tried Netbeans with this Java release?

I had download it but I don-t see it as a platform independent .jar file to run, on the binaries I see an exe and a linux file.

Hello Martin

Use http://netbeans.org/downloads/zip.html there you'll find the ZIP files
I use netbeans 5 with JDK 1.4.1 and runs just fine. Tell me how it works with the new Java

Nos vemos

Chao

miturbide

Hola Leo, do you have run script to make it run. The documentation of Netbeans says doble click the Windows exe or run the linux executable file.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

sXwamp

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.04.08, 20:58:22
Hola Leo, do you have run script to make it run. The documentation of Netbeans says doble click the Windows exe or run the linux executable file.

Netbeans 5 starts up with java 6, but no luck with 6.9.1.  There is a CMD file included in the BIN directory up until 5.5.1 -- I didn't try any past that version.  And you need to edit the cfg file in the ETC directory.

Greggory

djcaetano

Quote from: sXwamp on 2011.04.09, 09:19:38
Quote from: miturbide on 2011.04.08, 20:58:22
Netbeans 5 starts up with java 6, but no luck with 6.9.1.  There is a CMD file included in the BIN directory up until 5.5.1 -- I didn't try any past that version.  And you need to edit the cfg file in the ETC directory.
Greggory

I have downloaded 5.5.1 version, but I am receiving an SYS1056 error. It seems nbexec.cmd is composing a too-large command line (mainly due to -cp directive). I tried to set classpath before running java vm (and thus removing -cp from java vm command line) but received an unexpected exception "Main" not found (which usually means there is something missing on classpath or wrong class being executed by JVM).
  Any insights?

PS: this error happens no matter what Java version is being used, since it happens on CMD loader level.

miturbide

If anybody can post the call sentence that get generated by the REXX script will be usefull. I get confused of how the netbeans rex script is calling java.exe to run it.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

djcaetano

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.04.09, 20:35:16

If anybody can post the call sentence that get generated by the REXX script will be usefull. I get confused of how the netbeans rex script is calling java.exe to run it.

Here it is; It is installed on K:\NETBEANS and JVM is on c:\programs\java160:

c:\programs\java160\bin\java -Djdk.home="c:\programs\java160" -cp "K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\boot.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\org-openide-modules.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\org-openide-util.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\locale\boot_ja.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\locale\boot_pt_BR.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\locale\boot_zh_CN.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-modules_ja.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-modules_pt_BR.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-modules_zh_CN.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-util_ja.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-util_pt_BR.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\locale\org-openide-util_zh_CN.jar;K:\NETBEANS\platform6\lib\locale\swing-l10n_pt_BR.jar;c:\programs\java160\lib\dt.jar;c:\programs\java160\lib\jconsole.jar;c:\programs\java160\lib\tools.jar;" -Dnetbeans.user="K:\HOME\DJCAETANO\.netbeans\5.5.1" -Dnetbeans.osenv="J:\LOTUS\TEMP\nbenv61.013" -Dnetbeans.osenv.nullsep=FALSE -Dnetbeans.dirs="K:\NETBEANS\nb5.0;K:\NETBEANS\ide6" -Dnetbeans.home="K:\NETBEANS\platform6"  -Dnetbeans.importclass=org.netbeans.upgrade.AutoUpgrade -Dnetbeans.accept_license_class=org.netbeans.license.AcceptLicense -Xms32m -Xmx128m -XX:PermSize=32m -XX:MaxPermSize=160m -Xverify:none -Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true org.netbeans.Main  --branding nb

No wonder why OS/2 complains about the command line size. :P

miturbide

I also tried a small app that was on Jabaco sample (a calculator). Jabaco is BASIC compiler similar to VB6 in java technology. (http://www.jabaco.org/)

Too bad that the Jabaco IDE only runs on Windows, but it can generate .jar files, which Im testing.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

djcaetano

Quote from: lpino on 2011.04.08, 19:54:29
Use http://netbeans.org/downloads/zip.html there you'll find the ZIP files
I use netbeans 5 with JDK 1.4.1 and runs just fine. Tell me how it works with the new Java
Nos vemos

Hi Leo!

I was not able to make NetBeans 5 start up so I fall back to NetBeans 4.1. I was
able to run it with Java 1.4.2, Java 1.5.0 and OpenJDK 1.6.0... But I am experiencing
a bizarre problem: NetBeans doesn't show me any text outputs when running the program
through the IDE. That means: System.out.println doesn't produce any result when running
inside the IDE. Running the JAR directly works ok. Swing output also works nice.

Are you experiencing this kind of problem?

miturbide

I also tried the Netbeans 7 that was released some weeks ago.

I didn't get it to work. It even seems that the platform independ version has some binaries for Windows and Linux. Or possible I don't have the complete skills to make it run.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

djcaetano

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.05.01, 17:22:56
I also tried the Netbeans 7 that was released some weeks ago.
I didn't get it to work. It even seems that the platform independ version has some binaries for Windows and Linux. Or possible I don't have the complete skills to make it run.

The problem I am experiencing with any version since 5.0 is an OS/2 command line size limitation: the command line used to start netbeans is HUGE as I have posted previously. Have you solved this problem?