• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Java for os2

Started by eilygre, 2011.03.14, 21:59:17

Previous topic - Next topic

ppgrainbow

Quote from: cytan on 2011.06.29, 17:56:56
Can I assume that there's no JAVA plugin as of now?

cytan

No Java plugin is available for Firefox or SeaMonkey at this time and I'm hoping to see developers get Java 6 to work in Firefox 3.6/SeaMonkey 2.1 and later.

Firefox 3.5 and SeaMonkey 2.0 (as it is based on Gecko 1.9.1) were the last versions of the browser to work with older versions of Java. Firefox 3.5 went EOL when Firefox 4.0.1 was released. I can also expect SeaMonkey 2.0 to hit EOL too when SeaMonkey 2.2 gets released also. :(

miturbide

The Mozilla plugins is on the Java roadmap for GA2. . But lets remember that the project still needs to get more funding.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

miturbide

I also tried Montezuma's Gems
http://java-apps.org/content/show.php/Montezuma%27s+Gems?content=141799

Seems to work fine, no sound. It shows some errors while loading the wav sounds.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

ppgrainbow

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.07.10, 18:28:02
The Mozilla plugins is on the Java roadmap for GA2. . But lets remember that the project still needs to get more funding.

Thanks for the heads up. The project still needs approximately €1,360 ($1,910) and its getting there. :)

gap

apache-tomcat-7.0.16 runs with Java1.6 using slightly modified scripts in tomcat_5-0-27_os2.zip

Also the same application runs with postgresql-9.0.3-os2-20110206.zip using the JDBC4 connector postgresql-9.0-801.jdbc4.jar
which needs Java 1.6

Joop

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.06.29, 03:58:36
I just notice that on the Java SVN there is a screenshot of LAoE, which looks interesting too. I also need to test it further.

LAoE is open source (GNU GPL)
http://www.oli4.ch/laoe/home.html

Be very careful with Laoe. I posted the screenshot, it works, there are some bugs with building parts of the screen. I've a 2.8Mhz P4, not a real slow thing with 1G memory. For office applications enough, for things like Laoe your entering the edge of it. Laoe is born from a professional setup, ie, you build a computer JUST for sound. Be sure you have plenty, and I really mean plenty, of disk space on your drive from which you started eCS or OS/2. The program puts all the work files in the HOME directory and sometimes it doesn't clean. If you want a system which does respond quick you definite need FAST hard drives with 7200 rpm or something. As mentioned, its born from a professional setup, but its not programmed that way. I would like to have everything NOT in my HOME drive. If you have installed eCS or OS/2 on a small partition, forget the program or be prepared that OS2.INI will give the message that there s not enough room for it.

ivan

Joop, are you saying it doesn't respect the -Duser.home=some-dir setting for user files?

ivan

Joop

Quote from: ivan on 2011.07.17, 13:07:59
Joop, are you saying it doesn't respect the -Duser.home=some-dir setting for user files?

ivan
Didn't know you could do this, just tried apps right out "of the box" with Java, I'm busy with a presentation (Dutch) for the user group, what is it, how to setup, do's dont's, which apps can be run successfully and so on. One thing is already very clear, even if we can dump LVM with Java 1.1.8 (there are sounds that LVM will be replaced) and all its settings in the config.sys, even then we have to be prepared that we have to run different versions along side each other, but this is very dependent on what apps you want to run. So, settings in config.sys is not an option, even then.

Joop

Quote from: ivan on 2011.07.17, 13:07:59

ivan
Did try it today and that works, see my cmd file
@echo off
set BEGINLIBPATH=[drive:]\JAVA\JAVA160\bin
set path=[drive:]\JAVA\JAVA160\bin
[drive:]
cd [drive:]\PROGRAMS\Laoe
java -Duser.home=[drive:]\Laoe -Xms256M -Xmx256M -jar laoe.jar %*

Of course you have to replace [drive:] with a driveletter:. The [drive:] for Java and the program Laoe are the same, the drive for -Duser.home is a SECOND drive. The thought behind this is that the heads of the second drive can stay above the song which reduces time for seeking.

Now I did know that this works I tried a hard disk which was connected together with a dvd recorder/player. The last one dictates the speed of the controller and as expected this is not the combination. This combination is too slow and in a song you will have interruptions due to loading the play cache from the hard drive. On the controller with two hard drives 5400 rpm I had no problems, these are going as fast as ide can deliver today, but you need that special connection cable.

If you copy the .laoe directory to somewhere else be sure to deleted the file trace.txt otherwise Laoe could hang on startup due to not found drives, files etc. Its okay to delete the file, if its not there it will be created on the run. Also be advised NOT to delete or remove the song IF you did close Laoe with the exit command. Everything will be cleared on screen, but all settings including the song are recorded in a file which is used to let know Laoe how to setup "shop" next time.

Pete

Hi Joop

The answer is to *NOT* put your HOME directory on your boot drive - in fact, do not install anything to your boot drive except the operating system.

I suggest that next time you install eCS go for this setup:-

boot drive - operating system only - 2Gb max
programs drive - all installed software that is not part of the operating system - as big as you think you will need + space for future apps
home drive - somewhere to shove all your data, media files, downloaded files, application configuration files (mainly applies to *nix ports) and TEMP/TMP/tmp directory - probably your biggest drive :-)

With the above drive layout it is fairly easy to update the operating system without needing to reinstall all your applications and without losing user data. This approach does require the use of a tool such as wps2rexx - http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/wps/wps2rexx.zip - which is used to save an existing Desktop as a series of CMD files. These can be used, after a bit of editing, to recreate your application Desktop objects on the new Desktop.

You may find the eCS File and Directory Standard (eFDS) of some interest http://en.ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=92

Regards

Pete

Joop

Quote from: Pete on 2011.07.19, 00:20:08
Hi Joop

The answer is to *NOT* put your HOME directory on your boot drive - in fact, do not install anything to your boot drive except the operating system.

I don't think we had that choice during installation. Its put there with the installation of Java 1.1.8 and LVM. I don't know if you can copy it to an other drive and erase it on the boot drive. Of course some adjustments have to be made in the config.sys, but as far as I know LVM does expect it in the boot drive.

I suggest that next time you install eCS go for this setup:-

boot drive - operating system only - 2Gb max
programs drive - all installed software that is not part of the operating system - as big as you think you will need + space for future apps
home drive - somewhere to shove all your data, media files, downloaded files, application configuration files (mainly applies to *nix ports) and TEMP/TMP/tmp directory - probably your biggest drive :-)

I have, drive letters are go up all the way to T:. I have a mixed setup with DOS 7.1, Windows 98se and eCS 1.2. Windows XP never made it, it didn't understand the setup and shove itself during installation of the drive by setting up its own drive in ";". Finally Microsoft understands where its OS does belong, right, the trashcan ;-)

With the above drive layout it is fairly easy to update the operating system without needing to reinstall all your applications and without losing user data. This approach does require the use of a tool such as wps2rexx - http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/wps/wps2rexx.zip - which is used to save an existing Desktop as a series of CMD files. These can be used, after a bit of editing, to recreate your application Desktop objects on the new Desktop.

You may find the eCS File and Directory Standard (eFDS) of some interest http://en.ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=92

Regards

Pete

Didn't know that, thanks for the link and tip of wps2rexx. That might indeed be very helpfull.

Regards,
Joop

Pete

Hi Joop

The HOME directory does not have anything to do with LVM - except for the fact that the drive its on is created by LVM - and LVM does not use HOME at all so does not give a damn where it is. Nothing to do with installing an ancient version of java either.

I suspect that you used the "Easy" Install option which, in my opinion, is always a bad choice as you then get shafted with lots of options that you would either deselect or change when using the "Advanced" install. Certainly, during "Advanced" install you get the chance to change both HOME and PROGRAMS locations - and any software selected for installation respects those changes.

Regards

Pete

Joop

Quote from: Pete on 2011.07.19, 17:29:01
Hi Joop

The HOME directory does not have anything to do with LVM - except for the fact that the drive its on is created by LVM - and LVM does not use HOME at all so does not give a damn where it is. Nothing to do with installing an ancient version of java either.

I suspect that you used the "Easy" Install option which, in my opinion, is always a bad choice as you then get shafted with lots of options that you would either deselect or change when using the "Advanced" install. Certainly, during "Advanced" install you get the chance to change both HOME and PROGRAMS locations - and any software selected for installation respects those changes.

Regards

Pete

Yes, you are right, it was TCPIP in which the version 1.1.8 seems to be hardcoded. Sorry, it was a 50/50 guess on my side. No, I used the advanced install, but with 1.2 there is still a part on which you can't decide. Don't know about 2.0 or 2.1, but the installation procedure seems to be much improved.

Joop

Can someone tell me what happened with pages 4 and 5? They are grayed out on my system, just the OS/2World.Com head and the rest is gray. I use FF 4.0.1 for if that matters.

miturbide

Joop , there is bug we have with the Joomla and SMF forum integration.
Visit this forum thread directly from os2world.com/forum
or
http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,3092.msg20228.html#msg20228

You will see all the missing/broken pages accessing directly the SMF forum script.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide