• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Access to Lumix cam with FAT32 formatted card / preparing the card with DFSEE

Started by Fr4nk, 2011.03.19, 21:30:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr4nk

I'm using a Lumix DMC-FS10 digital camera.

I try to access a FAT32 formatted 4GB SD4 card drive from OS/2  via USB but its not possible.

The cam has been detected by USBRESMG. Latest USB drivers have been installed and are working with USB sticks successfully.

Now I got a hint from ehlertronic.de to use DFSEE to setup the drive. I tried a lot but it doesn't work.

Finally I tried to delete the partition (to make a new one) but I got a:

"0x13 : Drive is write-protected, full or invalid"

Then there is a message

"Bootsector GEO Heads/Sectors fields do NOT match geometry!"

I tried "Fix HiddenSectors/Geo value" but no effect.

Do you think there is a chance to get it working or I'll better buy a card reader and don't use the card inside the cam?

Thanks for any hints

ivan

What are you trying to do exactly - mount the card in the camera and then copy the photos or use some program to download them from the card?

I use Cameraderie v1.5 by  R L Walsh for both my Nikon D60 and Fuji S602Z to transfer the photos to my computer.

I think the cards in both cameras are formatted with some windows format but I've never bothered to try and find out what it is because it is unnecessary to know.

Assuming your Lumix is like my Nikon then you should be able to use the same program - at least you can give it a try.

Look on hobbes for camera15.zip

And use your camera to format the card.

ivan

Fr4nk

Thanks, but Cameraderie doesn't recognize my camera.

I would also prefer to access my camera card like a standard mass storage using WPS or a standard file mananger or even from Rexx. No need to say that any other operating systrem is able to access the camera like a storage device without any drivers and reconfiguration - just plug and access.

What exactly is the problem with os2's USB system. I had to prepare (LVM setup and re-format) all my USB sticks to make them work. Is this LVM related? Or is it Fat 32 related?

>And use your camera to format the card.
Youre welcome but I can't access the card this way. In past I re-formatted USB sticks and then after they work with os2. There must be a difference between various FAT32 formats.

But anyway I did some research and it seems to be that my cam disallows any write access to the SD card (the official statement from panansonic is 'this is a security feature'). So I have to get an additional card reader....

warpcafe

Hi,

without knowing too much about it... and with ignoring the fact that I have my own problems regarding USB thumb drives I suspect that...:

Quote from: Fr4nk on 2011.03.21, 14:21:22
I had to prepare (LVM setup and re-format) all my USB sticks to make them work. Is this LVM related? Or is it Fat 32 related?

...it is LVM related.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume the same approach you use for thumb drives applies to the SD card too.
Did you try to LVM the SD card and put a FAT32 partition on it to see if that does the trick?
Perhaps it's also an internal catch with removable USB storage devices larger than xxx GB which the other OS overcome by a dirty hack?

Sorry I have no real idea... just guessing... hope it helps somehow anyway.
Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Fr4nk

Hi Thomas,

I'll come back here when I got an external card reader. Atm I can't do anything.

QuotePerhaps it's also an internal catch with removable USB storage devices larger than xxx GB which the other OS overcome by a dirty hack?

Well I can't say about the SD card but I got sticks with different size between 1 and 8 GB, and it's always the same sh*t: you have to use LVM and re-format to make it work (very annoying because its impossible to read from a stick or cam of someone else who isn't using os2).

Btw, there is a guide in german language how to prepare USB-MSDs:
http://www.ehlertronic.de/ecs-os2/tipps-tricks/usb-msd.html

warpcafe

Hi Fr4nk,

as far as I know, the only actual problem with preformatted FAT32 MSDs is that there is a LVM "signature" missing. Dunno if that is flag/table or whatever something in the boot sector... I could be wrong but IIRC that is the only problem/cause for eCS not being able to immediately use a FAT32 partition on them.
( I guess that is also what others wanted you to use DFSee for. Not sure though. )

And if that is the case, I wish there was a simple one-click tool that simply creates the LVM signature on an "uknown" device and basta.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Pete

Hi Fr4nk

Any USB drive >2Gb needs to be prepared with LVM - smaller USB drives get treated as large floppy drives.

There is an English language guide to this included in the USBcfg Help, FAQs section, USB Storage FAQ Introduction and available online http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_2.html - USBcfg is available here   http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/USBcfgb071.zip or in Warpin format for eCS systems http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/USBcfgb071.zip

Regards

Pete

Fr4nk

Thanks, Pete.

I got a card reader today. Its possible to prepare the card now with LVM and DFSEE in a kinda complicated way. Its possible now to read and write the card from card reader.

But when I put the card back to camera it complains because its not formatted with the camera (it says this format is not suitable for making videos). Anyway - I'm able to take some photos.

And I can't read the card inside my camera from OS2. I have to plug it into the card reader. So just for the files the final insight after hours of crafting is: Lumix is not OS/2 compatible, the SD4 card is.

PS: Thomas:

QuoteI wish there was a simple one-click tool that simply creates the LVM signature on an "uknown" device and basta.

This would be great but in ym case I had to reformat the card. Without reformat no way. But your example could worr for other devices.