• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eComStation on Asus P8P67 motherboard with EFI Bios?

Started by Paul Smedley, 2011.03.26, 04:08:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Smedley

Hi All,

Per the subject - I'm looking to upgrade my hardware to a new system running an Asus P8P67.

One thing that concerns me is that the Asus site brags about the use of an EFI bios.

IIRC - these boards won't work with OS/2?

Maybe I should go for a socket 1366 or 1156 board that still has a traditional BIOS?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

RobertM

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2011.03.26, 04:08:48
Hi All,

Per the subject - I'm looking to upgrade my hardware to a new system running an Asus P8P67.

One thing that concerns me is that the Asus site brags about the use of an EFI bios.

IIRC - these boards won't work with OS/2?

Interestingly, there are OS/2 drivers for it.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=FpufhQASBFHNvccl

They primarily consist of BIOS files and a DOS based BIOS updater. Dunno what that means, as I cannot find mention as to how they apply.

There are also a plethora of Windows XP drivers, which, IIRC, (XP) does not support EFI - that makes me suspect there is some other mode supported that allows XP to boot and run. Now, I might not be fully clear on the XP issue, for as far as I know, the EFI based boards that XP run on are Mac boards via BootCamp, or Mac boards that have had non-EFI based BIOS' loaded in place of or in addition to the standard EFI BIOS. But again, I never researched that very well, so I could be way off base.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

miturbide

Hi Paul

I don't have experience with EFI BIOS.

From my side I have eCS 2.0 installed on a intel mainboard with 1156 socket and an intel i5 650 processor and works fine.

Martin
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Paul Smedley

Thanks guys - I found a Gigabyte board with a traditional BIOS - GA-P67A-UD3RB3 - will most likely go for this one rather than take a chance on UEFI support..

RobertM

Hi again,

The manual shows Windows XP32 as a supported OS. Either they have EFI support written for XP, or EFI support is not needed. Don't know which. Not much help, I know... :(

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

evn

Hej Poul.

For what it is worth I am running eCs 2.0 on an Intel D510Mo.
It installed out of the box and is running 24/7 with no issue at all.
I believe it is using EFI in some way:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1645975

Erik

CDRWSel

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2011.03.26, 05:37:43
Thanks guys - I found a Gigabyte board with a traditional BIOS - GA-P67A-UD3RB3 - will most likely go for this one rather than take a chance on UEFI support..

But it has a Realtek RTL8111E  controler and not RTL8110 ...

I already have a 1366 asus main board which works very well and new generation  Asus P6X58D-E seems to be very well too with a good working network chipset...

cheers

Paul Smedley

Hi All,

Thanks for the information.

I ended up going with:
Gigabyte P67A-UD3R-B3 and Intel Core I7-2600

Will report back hopefully later this afternoon once I get around to installing it.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

Hi All,

Started to set this up this afternoon. 

Did a bench test first before I extracted the existing motherboard out of the case.

Unfortunately, I can't get eCS booting as yet.

When I try and boot off my 1TB hard drive, I'm getting the following:
'OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or diskette drive.  The system is stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system'

When I try and boot off the eCS CD, it comes up with the pre-boot menu and I can change options, but after booting, I'm getting:
'Insert eComStation Installation CD-ROM and press any key.'

I tried playing around with the danis506 settings in terms of forcegbm, etc but no effect.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

Found a way to put the SATA controllers into legacy mode and now the system boots up to the Snap copyright text, then hangs when starting pmshell.exe

At least I'm making some progress :)

ivan

Paul,  that is why I never use Intel in any OS/2 machine - the newer ones are a pain to set up.

Out of interest have a look at the thread 'major trouble after motherboard swap' page 3 where I've given a little information on my latest build - now works 24/7 with no down time so far.

Was the setup you are trying boot SMP? I ask because you might be up against the testcfg.sys problem - an unpatched testcfg.sys hangs on returning from a call to apm.  If it was a SMP setup then you have the patched file if not you don't.

ivan

RobertM

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2011.03.27, 12:03:38
Found a way to put the SATA controllers into legacy mode and now the system boots up to the Snap copyright text, then hangs when starting pmshell.exe

At least I'm making some progress :)

I have installed on certain systems where SNAP will do just that, heck, I have an aging pair of x440's that fit this scenario. IBMGRADD setups (the non-SNAP IBM GRADD drivers, card specific or generic) or VGA/SVGA have, OTOH, worked for me in such scenarios.

I've also run into various system that will (SATA) either (a) only run in legacy mode, or (b) only install in legacy mode, then work with some config.sys tweaks, or (c) will install in non-legacy mode with the appropriate switches for the DANI Drivers.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|