• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Acer Aspire 3050 and eCS 2.0?

Started by BigWarpGuy, 2011.03.28, 18:06:51

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

I have a 3 year old Acer Aspire 3050 laptop computer. I tried installing eCS 2.0 onto it. It seemed to work to a point. I entered the key and it formatted the drive as JFS. It rebooted but stopped at loading os2dasd on the screen (I am not sure of the exact wording). It beeped once every so often. It stopped trying to load it and gave an error message of not finding the hard drive. I tried again and it no longer sees the hard drive. I tried different settings but it still does not see the hard drive. Is it the driver or the drive that is having problems?  ???

Pete

Hi BigWarpGuy

Lots more detail required eg:-

Easy or Advanced Install?
What hardware setting did you use?
Is ACPI involved? - Does it need to be?
What video driver did you select?
Does the laptop use AHCI for disk access? - can it be changed in the BIOS to Compatible?

Specs of the laptop would also be useful.

Regards

Pete

BigWarpGuy

Quote from: Pete on 2011.03.28, 18:36:26
Hi BigWarpGuy

Lots more detail required eg:-

Easy or Advanced Install?
I used easy at first then advanced and changed the setting for the hard drive
QuoteWhat hardware setting did you use?
I used the compatible for Dani then the compatible for IBM
QuoteIs ACPI involved? - Does it need to be?
I am not sure but I will check.
QuoteWhat video driver did you select?
I did not change the video drive since it seems to be working.
QuoteDoes the laptop use AHCI for disk access? - can it be changed in the BIOS to Compatible?
I will check the BIOS to see if it can be changed.

QuoteSpecs of the laptop would also be useful.
I am at work and the laptop is at home. Once I get there, I will try to provide more information.

QuoteRegards

Pete

Thank you for the reply. It is appreciated.  8)

RobertM

Try setting SATA in compatibility mode or taking a look at the settings for the DANIS506 driver. IIRC, the beeps are the DANI driver - or so I have experienced in older builds, and the resultant crash/hang is in the DASD driver. I've seen this happen with both the OS2DASD and DANIDASD.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: BigWarpGuy on 2011.03.28, 18:54:56
QuoteDoes the laptop use AHCI for disk access? - can it be changed in the BIOS to Compatible?
I will check the BIOS to see if it can be changed.

It should be labelled "Compatibility", "Legacy", "IDE Mode", "Emulation mode" or "AHCI/Non-AHCI Mode"

I *think* the options you will be presented are "ACHI" and "IDE..."

-R

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

BigWarpGuy

'loading os2dasd.dmd' I am glad the beeping sound is not an indication of board going bad.

Thank you for the information. I will definitely use it.  8) I will give it another try and return with the results.

BigWarpGuy

I looked into BIOS but did not really find a compatible section. :(

I tried the installation again. It got to the point where it reboots. It saw the hard drive and formatted it in JFS. It installed software and went to reboot. It rebooted and showed an error involving autodrv2.sys and it indicated it ignored it but would not go any farther. I turned it off and it booted from the hard drive but it did not go any farther than the 'did not load autodrv2.sys' and it ignored it but would not go any further. :(

Pete

Hi BigWarpGuy

I do not have an "autodrv2.sys" file on my system so am not sure what it is used for...

I am wondering if it is part of the Panorama video driver. If it is then I suggest you retry the install but switch to using SNAP or GRADD video drivers - you need to select the "Boot with own values" when 1st booting the install CD and change the driver; also check that you have the same driver selected for installation.

Regards

Pete

abwillis

autodrv2.sys is part of the pcmcia drivers... I don't recall specifically what it does.

melf

I think it has something to do with pcmcia modems
/Mikael

ivan

PCMCIA is problematic at the best of times.

The best thing you can do is to boot to a command prompt - I think you can do that from the eCS CD if my memory of past posts is correct.  Then edit config.sys and remove the autodrive.sys line, or just place rem in front of it. 

Note there may be other lines in config.sys relating to PCMCIA which will, most probably, need removing.

Once you get it booting to a desktop then you can start to think about PCMCIA and maybe getting it working if you need it.

ivan

BigWarpGuy

I will give these a try and will return with the results. Thanks for the tips.  ;D