• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Setting up Warp4 DHCP

Started by WinOS2, 2011.04.09, 13:09:54

Previous topic - Next topic

WinOS2

I have been setting up some old computers with legacy operating systems and I have decided to revisit OS/2 Warp 4. I have it installed and got the video driver and Realtek ethernet driver working fine. I am putting in a different sound card shortly to replace the one I can't find drivers for.

With my success of getting Windows 3.11 on broadband and having everything work great, I thought that Warp 4 should be quite easy. Windows for Workgroups was a bit tricky, but it really was a snap once I relearned old Windows. Running the ethernet in DOS was a bit of a learning curve. But thanks to a terrific ethernet card - Trendware TE-PCI, it runs really smooth with the DOS packet driver that came in the driver package for WFW. On another PC is Windows 95 and that was child's play to get going.

So, Warp 4. Should be easier than Windows 3.11 I thought and I love OS/2 Warp. It's a cool system.

However, I am discovering some weird problems that I cannot seem to work out. I thought I had set up the DHCP correctly. The DHCP is connecting and retrieved the lease fine, but no connection. I am wondering about the Route Entry window in the TCP/IP config. I am not sure what to put in the 'destination address', which is what I think might be causing the problem. I have the router and subnet mask settings correct. I have IBM NetBIOS, but have not configured that in any way. Also, I am noticing in the DHCP monitor that I have to sort of 'wake up' the DHCP sometimes by checking the configuration. Kinda strange. What is the BOUND state anyway? Does this have anything to do with anything?

Is there a site you can point me to for a proper way of configuring Warp 4's TCP/IP so I can get the broadband connection working right? The tabbed notebook is a bit confusing.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I have installed the latest fixpack - number 15.

Fahrvenugen

Hi,

A few things.  Are you able to ping your gateway?  Open up a command shell and see if you can.  For example, if your gateway is 192.168.0.1 then:

ping 192.168.0.1

It should come back with a response, if it can't ping your gateway, then your issue is something with TCP/IP

To stop the PING, just hit CTRL-C (otherwise it'll continue on forever)

If you can ping your gateway, try pinging something else, like yahoo:

ping yahoo.com

It could be that your DNS isn't resolving correctly.

Second, what version of TCP/IP and MPTS are you using?  The 16 bit version or the 32 bit version?

Open up a command prompt and type:

inetver

and post the response(s) here.  Also, if you run:

syslevel

from your command prompt, it'll tell you what build of MPTS and TCP/IP you've got.  This is likely important, as there were fixpaks for both MPTS and TCP/IP.  Also, if you're running the older 16 bit MPTS, you'll likely want to update to the newer 32 bit stack - a lot of the newer internet apps don't work with the older 16 bit stack.

As for the DHCP losing its lease, it could be one of 2 things.  If the lease on your router is set to a low setting (release frequently) this could be the problem.  Also, if I recall correctly there were a number of issues (including with DHCP) that were fixed with MPTS and TCP/IP fixpaks.  These were not in the base Fixpak 15, as that fixpak only deals with OS stuff.  IBM's way of thinking always considered MPTS and TCP/IP to be separate portions of OS/2, with separate fixpaks (in part because the same builds of TCP/IP and MPTS could be used across a number of different versions of OS/2 - Warp 3, Warp 4, Warp Server, Warp Server for eBusiness, Workspace on Demand, etc).

WinOS2

Thanks for responding.

An update since my last note. I had to do another clean install, because I did something that caused the dreaded 'service representative' error. Try as I could, I couldn't fix it and get the system going again.

This time I did a FAT install for the time being until I get this resolved. Also put in the old sound card I found. The famous 'triangle ESS 1868'. To my pleasant surprise, it was in Warp's PnP database and was installed automatically. Though it nearly gave me a heart attack when it fired up, it was very encouraging. Really gotta be cautious about Rage Pro video drivers though. Follow the instructions CAREFULLY - as from my experience there's no forgiveness for honest mistakes.

Still the same issues with TCP/IP though.

I will try to ping the gateway as you suggested and return to you what happened.

Since I have reinstalled, I have the original MPTS files (again).

I'll try those other OS2DOS commands you suggested and report.

The lease seems to register fine even in the latest install.

I was not aware that Warp fixpacks were not cumulative adjuncts and that is good to know - thx. Maybe I'll have a look around for the specific fixpack that deals with the MPTS and TCP/IP issues. I thought they were similar to Win service packs or Debian/Redhat updates.

BTW - I happen to have in my possession an ethernet 4/16 IBM token ring adapter. Was thinking of trying that out if I get too frustrated. I won't be putting Warp on anything higher than the 10Mbs line anyway.

Fahrvenugen

Hi again,

If you're seeing the card, if it is showing up then you've probably got a correct device driver for your ethernet card.

First, go ahead and update your TCP/IP.  From what I can recall, the stack included in the base Warp 4 needs un_0980:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/tcpip/fixes/v3.1os2andv4.0os2/universal/un_0980/

Once that's updated, I'd recommend just going with the full 32 bit TCP/IP mpts stack. This is a base MPTS install which will replace the 16 bit one. Grab it from here:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08610_conv/

You'll then need to update to wr08621 since there were fixes for that.  Grab it from here:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08621/

And once that's updated, grab the newstack.zip from hobbes - it has some additional fixes which make things more stable:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=newstack&pushbutton=Search

All of this comes in disk-image format, don't bother to create floppies though, use a utility such as dskxtrct (find it on Hobbes) to extract them to the hard drive, and then use the RSU version of the CSF utility to install directly from the hard disk.  You can find it here:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_m015/csf143.zip

Or, some people have had success using sfix off hobbes to install fixpaks, even when their original files are the compressed .dsk images.  Search hobbes for this utility and try it.

There's also been several posts on these forums in the past on how to install direct from a  hard disk.

WinOS2

Thank for those great FTP links. All that stuff is handy. Thanks a lot!

I managed to get Warp 4 to respond and connected. It wasn't easy though, because I was getting errors from DSKXTRCT during the DSK decompression process, so I thought 'oh great - I should have grabbed SFIX instead of depending on this one application'. Oh well... back to Hobbes and bring it over...

But before that, I went about the pinging and other commands you suggested previously then got the idea of trying a selective install for networking again. Like I had done a million times already. This time it worked and I tried Gophering - I couldn't believe it but it flew open gopher.floodgap.com like it was supposed to! Don't know what I did differently - that bothers me. But the bottom line is...

Warp 4 is up and running like it's 1996! On broadband! Hooray!

Stage One is over - I am so happy.

Stage Two is to get those fixes going and do the tweaks. Adding Netscape so I can do all the grabbing I need to without relying on an external source.

I want to grab utilities and stuff to understand better how OS/2 handles memory - because I have 256mb of SDRAM stuffed into this 1997 mobo (max it takes I think) and I want Warp to use it all. Plus, I want to create a RAMDRIVE of about 32Mb for temp files and some installation products.

Thanks for your help and the key FTP site!

ivan

Have a look at http://www.os2bbs.com/OS2News/Warpzilla.html for firefox in place of netscape.  It might also be advisable to go to http://www.os2mt.tk/ and get the OS/2 update tool, if only for its ability to list where a lot of the updates are - note, some of the links are now defunct.

ivan