• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Making IMAGE of OS/2 partion

Started by sachinib, 2011.04.12, 05:32:47

Previous topic - Next topic

sachinib

I am trying to make a image of a os/2 installed 40 gb hard disk.There is only 740 mb data on the disk and I want to convert it on to my flash card so I want to make image for that ,But when I try to make image by Acronics or Norton ghost they copy whole partition which is of 37 gb.
Is there any utility by which I can make image of oly data area.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: sachinib on 2011.04.12, 05:32:47
I am trying to make a image of a os/2 installed 40 gb hard disk.There is only 740 mb data on the disk and I want to convert it on to my flash card so I want to make image for that ,But when I try to make image by Acronics or Norton ghost they copy whole partition which is of 37 gb.
Is there any utility by which I can make image of oly data area.

I'm pretty sure dfsee has an option to compress the data so will do this....

melf

I may talk against better knowledge now, but I guess it is not so easy if you want an eCS image to be bootable from an SD-card. There is closely related documentation on that at Hobbes, http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-browse.php?dir=/pub/os2/doc , with regard to how to make netbooks with SD-cards bootable.

/Mikael

Radek

As far as the image is concerned, Linux PING (partimage isn't ghost) can do that. It's a bootable ISO, which can backup a partition storing only used sectors and bzip-ing them - so that the resulting image will be even smaller than 740 MB. PING knows HPFS. It knows JFS but I have no experience with backuping JFS partitions. Next, you can unpack the image to the SD card.

I have installed eCS this way on my comp with USB CD drive until eCS was able to install from an USB CD (RC6a): take another comp, install eCS there, PING the partition, put it on your (my) comp, adjust, boot - if okay then redo the image and store it as your "installation CD".

You will need to adjust HW and partition parameters after unpacking - everything has been backuped and reset by PING.