• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

WSEB Help

Started by klipp, 2011.04.13, 20:23:33

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

Is there anywhere a forum devoted specifically to WSEB? If not, how about a site with info on problems with WSEB?

Thanks for any suggestions

klipp
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx

sXwamp

Please let me know if  you find a site.  Do you know the best way to update the boot CD, so that it can see large hard drives ???

klipp

It looks like I'm probably fighting the same problem you describe sXwamp. I have WSEB installed on three different machines with three different outcomes. One machine is a 10+ year old box with 2-intel 233 chips using SMP kernel and its LIGHTENING FAST! (Of course I'm exagurating, but it is very fast!) and WSEB seems to run flawlessly. The other two are much faster newer machines with neumerous O.S.'s installed and once WSEB is booted I can no longer boot (via BootManager) to any of the other O.S.'s. I've installed Danis latest driver and it allows WSEB to access the other partitions (via Larsen Commander) but no longer see's the CDRom. Plus these newer, faster machins are unbelievably slow.
    We should get some help as there are several really sharp WSEB users that use this forum.

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

ivan

Hi klipp,

I have WSeB running on several machines here.

AMD 2 core processor with 2 x 500 GB SATA hard disks (WSeB SMP, win XP and SUSE 11.4)
AMD 4 core processor with 1 x 500 GB SATA and 1 x 1TB SATA hard disk and 2 SATA DVDs. (WSeB SMP only).

Now what exactly is your problem?

When you say you can no longer boot other OSs after WSeB has started I assume you mean a restart, which brings up boot manager and then you try to select another OS.  Is this correct and if not what the @*!! are you trying to do?

Also a little bit more information on each machine would be helpful.

sXwamp, try updatecd which is how I updated my WSeB boot CD.

ivan

klipp

Hi ivan, thanks for the response. Yes when trying to boot a different O.S. from Boot Manager it hangs-- blank screen! (this applies only to trying to boot to other eCS partitions, Linux entries in the boot manager work fine, as well as the WSEB option.
  On the ancient SMP box (which all works fine on) there is no boot manager and WSEB is the only O.S. installed on the hard drive.(a 40 gb Seagate H.D.)
  The other machines each have 3 hard drives, (80 gb primary master, 30 gb  slave, & 200 gb SATA) on one box, the other has 40 gb primary master, 250 gb Primary slave and 200 gb secondary master.
  The ancient box has a Tyan Tomcat M.B. with 2-233 Intel processors
the other two are a  1: MSI K7N22 Delta2 M.B. 166mhz
                                2: Gigabyte GA-7DXR+GA-7DX+ M.B. 1.5 gz
WSEB is a primary partition on the first H.D. of each box, which also has an eCS partition as well as a Linux partition as primaries.
  Next thing I'm going to do is unplug that first drive and see if I can get back up to running my server (eCS-Samba) on the Gigabyte box.

Thanks again for the help

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

ivan

Hi klipp,

This is something I'll have to think about a bit more.  On my 4 core box I have WSeB and a stripped down WSeB maintenance partition (both logical).

If I get time tomorrow I'll install Warp4 in a spare logical partition just to see what happens.

The AMD 4 core motherboard is an Asus M4A78LT-M LE with 4 GB ram.  The 2 core is an Acer Aspire T180 with the ram upped to 4 GB.

One thing you could do is to run DFSee  when you are in WSeB and see if it shows any problems with your eCS partition in any form, LVM info, partition type, etc.  Also check that bootmanager is pointing to the correct partition and if you are using the same drive letter that it is correctly hidden.
As I don't have eCS I can't say if there is anything that might cause the problem you have.

ivan

klipp

Hey ivan, Don't spend a lot of time on my problem! I have DFSee installed on wseb and all looks correct.  Seeing as I can boot to other operating systems via Boot Manager but not eCS partitions, it smells like LVM problems.  So, in a move of  futile desperation I decided to re-install eCS on the First H.D. ---- it crashed trying to do the first install re-boot! So I re-installed again, this time formatting the partition and it crashed later on in the install. third time was a charm and now boot manager can boot to other eCS partitions.
   I'm guessing I've got a H.D. in the process of "Shooting Shit" -- that doesn't explain why I'm having similar problems on the other box -- but guess its best to fix one box at a time.
   Now, at least I've got my server back up & running again!
  Thanks again for the help, if I discover anything amazing, I'll post it!

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

RobertM

Hiya klipp,

- Install and use the eCS BootManager.
- Use eCS to do the Warp and eCS specific disk layout (ie: partition creation, etc)
- Ensure either different drive boot letters are used for eCS and Warp or partition hiding is used.
-- In the event you use different boot letters and do not hide the partition, do NOT access the desktop of the non-running systems.
- Use matching drivers (in your case, the Dani drivers IIRC - and they should be the eCS version levels - dont backlevel eCS to the version you are using on Warp) for all disk access from both OS/2 and eCS.
- Once you install WSeB, update BootManager, all of it's components, the kernel, DASD, and every other driver that touches the HDDs to the same levels/versions as eCS.

There are various fixes and such in BM and the drivers which may be what's causing you the "compatibility"/boot issues.

HTH,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Mike

eCS Bootmanager huh? Should be Air-Boot right?  ;)

RobertM

Quote from: Mike on 2011.07.21, 20:22:47
eCS Bootmanager huh? Should be Air-Boot right?  ;)

Hi Mike,

Hmmm... which version of eCS? If v1.x, then it should be the eCS Boot Manager (as in the revised IBM OS/2 Boot Manager for eCS), otherwise, it should be the eCS boot manager (as in the software that manages booting, ie: airboot, with guess what else installed?). Sorry for the lack of specificity, but I suspect Klipp clearly understood what it meant.  ;)  ;D

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Mike

it should read eCS 1.x = IBM Bootmanager, eCS  2.x = Airboot

Pete

Hi All

Having just installed eCS2.1 and switched to airboot my advice is to make sure you know how to switch back to Boot Manager in case of problems.

I've run into a silly problem with airboot: it cannot boot my existing eCS2.0 installation, it can only boot eCS2.1

When I try and boot eCS2.0 from airboot the boot starts, a floppy seek happens, there is a beep - and no further activity.

Switching back to Boot Manager I can boot both eCS2.0 and 2.1 with no problems - I did not delete Boot Manager during the eCS2.1 install, simply installed airboot which disabled Boot Manager.

This suggests something a bit buggy in the eCS build of airboot. I have reported the problem and the developer is looking into it - seems a few other people have run into this or similar problems.

I'm sure that once airboot has "lost" its bugs it will be a great boot manager.

Oh, Yes. For those who may need to know but cannot find any airboot documentation with eCS2.1:

To switch back to Boot Manager boot eCS2.1 run  [boot drive]:\ecs\bin\airboot2.exe and uninstall (or was it Delete?) airboot. Then run LVM and if you only disabled Boot Manager press Enter and select Make Boot Manager startable - it should still have all your boot options. If you deleted Boot Manager (prematurely) then you will need to reinstall it.

Have Fun  :-)

Pete

miturbide

Quote from: klipp on 2011.04.13, 20:23:33
If not, how about a site with info on problems with WSEB?

Hi klipp, you and everybody is welcome to do a page about WSEB on the OS2World.com wiki too.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Pete

Hi All

Just to mention that my earlier posting about airboot problems I encountered were not actually airboot problems.

I replaced airboot with the 1.06 build from sourceforge.

This could not boot my eCS2.0 installation either but at least with airboot 1.06 I got the reason for the failure. Boot stops after USBMSD.ADD is loaded - I suspect this is the last of the Base Drivers to load here - and the system delivers the "classic" boot fail message:-

"OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or diskette drive".

Note the above does not get displayed when booting from airboot 1.07 as the boot process does not get as far as displaying any Base Driver loading messages.

This got me thinking and about the only thing I could think of was that somehow the eCS2.0 installation has lost "booting information" that may not be required when booting from the IBM Boot Manager.

I rebooted into eCS2.1 and ran this command:-

[L:\os2\install\bootdisk]sysinstx h:

I then rebooted and attempted to boot the (troublesome) eCS2.0 volume. Booting was successful.

I then updated airboot to 1.07 and rebooted to eCS2.0 without problems.

So, now we know that somehow, somewhere my eCS2.0 installation "lost" system files required for booting (when not booting from Boot Manager); the problem was not an airboot problem at all.

Regards

Pete

klipp

hey Pete, thanks for that post! That explains some of the same problems I've been having with AirBoot, which I didn't know how to cope with.

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx