• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Looking to build a multi-site server platform to serve file resources...

Started by NNYITGuy, 2011.04.14, 21:26:51

Previous topic - Next topic

NNYITGuy

Hi All,

I am looking to build a multi-site server platform.  One of my goals is to be able to support my own tech services to download support files at client sites.  From time to time I find myself needing large files that I need to spend an extended period of time just waiting for the download to complete.  Time better used elsewhere if I could only download the files more quickly.

Does anyone have suggestions for the server/daemon based technologies?  A torrent server would be an option, but I have not found an eCS / OS2 server/daemon.  I could use ftp, but I need to support segmented downloads from multiple locations to a ftp client.  Now that I am thinking about it, a ftp server that supports download resuming would support segmented downloads. Right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

TIA,
-Todd

Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

ivan

Hi Todd,

I don't know if what we have here would be of any help to you but we have the ability to get at files from anywhere, be it on the internal net or from a clients office/works - clients can also upload files to us that are too large for e-mail.

It is very simple - a NAS with an FTP server and the relevant ports opened on the firewall.  Beyond that is the setup of the NAS with groups and rather complex passwords.

The advantage of this system is that it doesn't matter what OS the sending machine has as long as it supports FTP - we even have a couple of Android tablets, used by our service engineers, using the system.

ivan

NNYITGuy

Hi Ivan,

I know this is a late reply and I have been busy.  My idea of this was to build a solution with eCS hosting the solution.  I know many other solutions are available.  But my hopes are to build solutions around eCS.  I spoke with Peter Moylan and his technology does allow for download resuming and I can build the segment downloading that will employ his resume technology sometime in the future.  The segment downloading will pull from multiple servers or at least from multiple NICs the ftp data and construct the segments into a single file once the downloads are complete.

Thank you and best regards,
-Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

RobertM

Some notes:
(1) A Wordpress installation with the correct plugins may make this a lot easier. It may be best to take a good plugin and modify it to use Peter's REXX capable account creation tools for his FTP server. I can suggest a few plugins if needed.

(2) I have had problems with resume support on his FTP daemon for larger files. Usually, such a resume reports the file download is completed near instantaneously, even with the rest of the file not downloaded. Not sure if that's a problem with the daemon or with FileZilla though (or the way they work together). I do know the resume command does get sent to the daemon (and received).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|