• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

WLAN is not detecting my Wireless device

Started by djcaetano, 2011.04.28, 05:43:45

Previous topic - Next topic

djcaetano

Hi there,
I have just been able to make my Realtek 8187SE Wireless device to work with a beta GenMac Driver (thanks to GenMac developers!) and everything works fine when using no encryption (IP configuration done by regular eCS DHCP Daemon). Even web browsing worked just fine.
The problem is: WLAN is installed on my netbook but it is *not* able to detect the wireless device (which not only is present but also is working without any problems). Anyone knows a way to "force" WLAN to use a specific device?
I have sent a message to wlan-user mailing list, but it seems dead. The last message (besides mine) is 6 months old. Anyone knows where is the code so I can peek and try to adjust the wireless device detection procedure?

My kindest regards,

Daniel Caetano

djcaetano

I really would like to help, but despite my efforts I simply could not find the source code ... not even the person "in charge" of WLan development. It is developed by "NetLabs", but there is no entry on netlabs SVN. :(

ivan

Daniel, I think it is another abandoned project.

It works for a small set of available wireless cards and works well for those I'm told - I have never got it to work but then I've never had one of that small list of cards.

You might be better off looking at how the linux world does it and seeing if you can produce something based on that.

ivan

djcaetano

Quote from: ivan on 2011.04.30, 10:23:38
Daniel, I think it is another abandoned project.
It works for a small set of available wireless cards and works well for those I'm told - I have never got it to work but then I've never had one of that small list of cards.
You might be better off looking at how the linux world does it and seeing if you can produce something based on that.

Hi Ivan,
  It is sad, because the board is fully working as the network driver is concerned and everything needed for encrypted connection is built in WLAN already. I believe it will be the only way to go, but then... if one will have to reinvent the wheel over and over again, we are indeed in a bad situation in this community.
   Anyway, Netlabs' projects were not supposed to be open source?

But thanks for your answer. I must get past my PhD thesis presentation and then I'll try to summon the midiclorians needed to recreate the application.

My kindest regards,

Daniel Caetano
  daniel@caetano.eng.br

rudi

Quote from: djcaetano on 2011.04.30, 07:27:15
not even the person "in charge" of WLan development

You might want to ask the guy who takes credits for the German translation. The email address mentioned in the help file should still be valid.

It is developed by "NetLabs", but there is no entry on netlabs SVN. :(

Maybe it has not been migrated from the old CVS server. But it's very likely that the source still exist.

djcaetano

Quote from: rudi on 2011.04.30, 17:51:40
You might want to ask the guy who takes credits for the German translation. The email address mentioned in the help file should still be valid.
It is developed by "NetLabs", but there is no entry on netlabs SVN. :(
Maybe it has not been migrated from the old CVS server. But it's very likely that the source still exist.

Yeah, good idea. :)
  I drop him an e-mail and lets see if I can get to these codes.

BTW, along with the binaries, source snapshots should be released regularly on ftp sites. Development file repositories like CVS and SVN are interesting but should not be the only way one can get the source code.

Also... is NetLabs dead? I was browsing their page... no linking to the projects, almost no signs of activity... :(

Regards!