• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Intel H67 Motherboard - Here we go again

Started by djcaetano, 2011.05.02, 22:16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

Robert,  I don't think that will work because the keyboard is not there as far as eCS is concerned.  I had that happen once with a USB keyboard - keyboard dead until the OS/2 USB keyboard driver loaded.  It appears that Daniel is in the same situation except he can't get the OS to load.

ivan

RobertM

Quote from: ivan on 2011.05.12, 00:37:08
Robert,  I don't think that will work because the keyboard is not there as far as eCS is concerned.  I had that happen once with a USB keyboard - keyboard dead until the OS/2 USB keyboard driver loaded.  It appears that Daniel is in the same situation except he can't get the OS to load.

ivan

On some motherboards, I've been able to get around that by setting USB legacy mode for keyboard and mouse. It makes (on *some* systems) the USB keyboard look like a PS/2 keyboard. Not all though.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi All

A Hardware alternative is to use USB to PS/2 adapters; costs less than £3.00 for a couple here in the UK. No idea how much they are in Brazil though...

Regards

Pete

djcaetano

Quote from: RobertM on 2011.05.12, 01:50:44
On some motherboards, I've been able to get around that by setting USB legacy mode for keyboard and mouse. It makes (on *some* systems) the USB keyboard look like a PS/2 keyboard. Not all though.

Hi Robert,

I've tried... and nothing. It doesn't work even with keyboard in the legacy mode. :(
  And... there is no way I can use a USB-to-PS2 adapter. I *do* have PS2 keyboards...
it's the motherboard that doesn't have PS2 ports. In fact, it has no legacy ports at all.
No PS2, no serial, no parallel, no FDC controller, no PATA controller...  Sigh...

But hey, I appreciate very much the ideas. :)
  I just do not want to migrate to Linux. :P

Paul Smedley

Quote from: djcaetano on 2011.05.12, 05:02:50

Ahh linux isn't that bad :)

Mike

Quote from: djcaetano on 2011.05.11, 06:51:03

Hi Mike!

Which is exactly your hardware? Maybe mapping the differences we can find out what is preventing eCS from boot here.

Regards!

hi,
its one of the latest revision of an ASUS P7H57xxx motherboard, it also has such a crappy graphical EFI BIOS. After changing the setting of the SATA Controller to Compatible Mode it was working ok. It also has one PS/2 connector for the keyboard. You face problems with the bios or not latest ACPI level. The USB legacy support should work no matter what OS is booted as it will operate without any USB driver loaded, think about DOS  ;)

RobertM

Quote from: djcaetano on 2011.05.12, 05:02:50
Quote from: RobertM on 2011.05.12, 01:50:44

Hi Robert,

I've tried... and nothing. It doesn't work even with keyboard in the legacy mode. :(
  And... there is no way I can use a USB-to-PS2 adapter. I *do* have PS2 keyboards...
it's the motherboard that doesn't have PS2 ports. In fact, it has no legacy ports at all.
No PS2, no serial, no parallel, no FDC controller, no PATA controller...  Sigh...

But hey, I appreciate very much the ideas. :)

OK, THIS may be clutching at straws...

I recently built a system that had those legacy options in the BIOS. It appears they only applied to a certain onboard USB controller and to a certain pair of USB ports. Inotherwords, enabling that option did absolutely nothing for 14 of the USB ports - and only affected the remaining two. That information was buried in the manual, and not stated like that... I figured it out because the manual made some weird differentiation between the ports, which left me guessing that the two in question were the ones settable to legacy mode.

I have no idea if that applies to you, but it's the second system I have run into with such a setup. One was Intel/Intel board, one was an ASUS AMD based board.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

xchris

Hi,

I have the same issues with 2.1 GA and an ASRock H67 m/board (core i5-2500). Putting the SATA on IDE mode did not help anyway...

chris

RobertM

Quote from: xchris on 2011.10.01, 01:03:52
Hi,

I have the same issues with 2.1 GA and an ASRock H67 m/board (core i5-2500). Putting the SATA on IDE mode did not help anyway...

chris

Did you ensure you were using the ports that were able to be enabled in "IDE Only Mode"? I've seen a few new machines that only allow a subset of ports to be switched to IDE mode. For instance, SATA0-3 cannot, but SATA 4-5 can be switched. Thus, the BIOS settings for IDE/AHCI/RAID only apply to SATA 4-5 regardless of what's implied in the BIOS (I've seen some BIOS config menus that spell it out, and others where it's only spelled out in the manual).

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

xchris

Quote from: RobertM on 2011.10.03, 21:07:38
Quote from: xchris on 2011.10.01, 01:03:52
Hi,

chris

Did you ensure you were using the ports that were able to be enabled in "IDE Only Mode"? I've seen a few new machines that only allow a subset of ports to be switched to IDE mode. For instance, SATA0-3 cannot, but SATA 4-5 can be switched. Thus, the BIOS settings for IDE/AHCI/RAID only apply to SATA 4-5 regardless of what's implied in the BIOS (I've seen some BIOS config menus that spell it out, and others where it's only spelled out in the manual).

good point ! thanx I totally forgot it... I think the HDD that I am trying to install the eCS 2.1 is on a SATA port that supports the IDE mode, but not sure 100%
I have to check it, but now now I am abroad so...... I will report back asap.

cheers

miturbide

I have this hardware:
- Intel Desktop Board DH55TC
- Intel i5 750.
- 6GB DDR3 RAM
- 200GB HDD SATA

eComStation 2.0 installed and booted fine with "IDE Only" mode on Bios (with SATA HDD).
eComStation 2.1 is now installed and booted fine with OS2AHCI driver with the SATA mode turned on in the BIOS. You have to also enable the OS2AHCI driver option when booting from the CD with options.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

xchris

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.10.04, 17:09:49
I have this hardware:
- Intel Desktop Board DH55TC
- Intel i5 750.
- 6GB DDR3 RAM
- 200GB HDD SATA

eComStation 2.0 installed and booted fine with "IDE Only" mode on Bios (with SATA HDD).
eComStation 2.1 is now installed and booted fine with OS2AHCI driver with the SATA mode turned on in the BIOS. You have to also enable the OS2AHCI driver option when booting from the CD with options.

I still get the effin trap d error... all off the sata ports are supported on IDE mode
I even installed Icaros (Amiga AROS) on a spare SATA  to check the IDE mode....
just the eCS 2.1 does not work properly as it supposed to work..

xchris

btw. I think something is broken on the eCS 2.1 regarding the ACPI..
I set the boot menu to ACPI (not the "safe" mode) and the cd booted until the blue eCS 2 screen then stopped there...

gap

Some of the new Intel mother boards can be partially used by eCs 2.1

Try this:
Install with "Own Values"
Select "Modern" Hardward
Select ACPI
add /SMP to ACPI parameters

Later when you see "Advanced Installation" select this option.
Deselect Advanced Power Management under Standard Devices.

This should allow an install to succeed.

greg
greg

xchris

no luck using your suggestion...  :(
thanx anyway