• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Thinkpad T43 and Atheros 168c:1014 need help!

Started by klipp, 2011.05.19, 02:56:53

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

Does anyone know how to make the Atheros 168c:1014 wireless NIC work on a T43? Genmac see's the adapter but then says it is "unsupported"! The internal Broadcom NIC (Cable) works O.K.
Using eCS 2.1
  Is there possibly a different driver that will work in this Laptop?

Thanks for any ideas

klipp
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx

djcaetano

Quote from: klipp on 2011.05.19, 02:56:53
Does anyone know how to make the Atheros 168c:1014 wireless NIC work on a T43? Genmac see's the adapter but then says it is "unsupported"! The internal Broadcom NIC (Cable) works O.K.
Using eCS 2.1
  Is there possibly a different driver that will work in this Laptop?
Thanks for any ideas
klipp

Hi Klipp,

I was fighting with this issue today when my laptop lcd backlight burned out.
  Anyway, it seems GenMac doesn't enable some WIFI driver features when
running on unsupported mode, hindering it useless from xWLAN point of
view.
  For RTL8187SE I was able to patch the GenMac driver so it recognizes
mine as one of supported WiFi and then then it suddenly works and was
recognized by xWLAN.
  But... before trying anything wild, try to boot on eCS and run

type WRND32$

to see if the driver is being loaded at all.

klipp

hey djcaetano, It looks like the driver is never being loaded. So I tried installing on another laptop (a Toshiba with a Atheros 168c:001 NIC) also selected the internal RTL 8139 and neither one works on the Toshiba which has both working in a 2.0 install on a different partition.
   Can you offer any ideas on what to "screw with" to possibly make these NIC's function?  Possibly I could copy some of the GENmac configuration files from the 2.0 install to the 2.1 install? What do you think?
Thanks for the help

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

ivan

Hi klipp,

Why mess with genmac for the RTL8139 when there is a very good OS/2 driver available for it - look for RTSND323 on Hobbes.

ivan

klipp

Hi ivan, I've learned a little more about the problem. Turns out the rtl8139 works O.K. if I delete the options for the Atheros 168c001c in "adapter & protocol configuration".
   The eCS 2.0 partition uses 168c:001a for the atheros NIC and works fine. In the eCS 2.1 install there is only an option for selecting 168c:001c (which I thought was compatable,but it isn't!). I will try you're suggestion to use RTSND323 if I can ever get my original problem with one of my clients Laptop resolved, and that is figuring out how to make the Atheros 168c:1014 load in his T43.
Thanks for the suggestion

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

klipp

Well FWIW! 2.1 doesn't come with the complete set of GenMac drivers, no 168c:001a. To get the correct one (Atheros 168c:001a) I had to go to netlabs and download the full set. Then the driver loaded correctly but locked the system up when trying to run netbind -- I give up! its back to 2.0 and try to fix the problem with the T43.
Does anyone have a T43 running with a Atheros 168c:1014?

thanks, klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

ivan

Hi klipp,

You might find it is better to do the install without using the genmac driver and install that after you have everything running.

I have to do that as I am using WSeB and there is no option to use genmac in the install even if it is updated by updcd.

It appears the 168C:1014 has been in genmac since genmac100 so it should install without too many problems if you install it after everything is running - that way you have a working system you can revert to should something go wrong.

ivan

jelo

Hi Klipp,

This is Alfredo, I am following very closely the discussion being held regarding T43 and Atheros. 

Thanks again, amigo  :)

Andi

I've T41 with Atheros 168C:1014 running. But not configured as the eCS2.1DE installer does but copied from an older installation. That's the relevant protocol.ini section -

[W168CX1014_nif]

DriverName = WRND32$
   VENDOR = 0x168C
   DEVICE = 0x1014
   NDIS_SYS = "AR5211abg.SYS"
   NDIS_INF = "AR5211abg.INF"
   SSID = "WLAN"
   DEBUGLEVEL = "NO"
   OPTIONS = "NO"

Blonde Guy

Quote from: klipp on 2011.05.20, 03:10:57
Does anyone have a T43 running with a Atheros 168c:1014?

Sure, it runs with no problems. I've had several.

There is a trick. If either GenMac driver fails to load, then they both fail. Try removing all network from MPTS, then reboot, then put it all back. If it's like mine, everything will start working. eCS 2.0 and 2.1 don't have the 168c:1014 driver, you need the Netlabs distribution.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation