• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Ethernet Card Problems

Started by Sneas, 2011.06.03, 02:59:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Sneas

Hi all,
I recently set up eComStation on my old HP Pavilion XE783 PC.  Since it originally had no Ethernet port, I bought a Netgear GA311 ethernet card and installed it.  I looked it up online and found that this card used the Realtek 8169 chipset driver.  During install, eComStation chose the correct driver for the card automatically, but for some reason it will not connect to the internet. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Blonde Guy

Post the output of netstat -n

If you have physical address 00000000000000 for the ethernet card, you need to manually specify the MAC address.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Mike

They included the test driver for newer realtek lan adapter? A better choice is the intel one now, but its on intel hardware only :-)

rwklein

The reason we BTW included this realtek driver was because the other drivers from  a Japanese developer and Genmac would on some systems not fail gracefully but we have had hangs with does testbuilds. This Realtek driver at least does not hang your system.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

Mike

Quote from: rwklein on 2011.06.08, 23:49:30
The reason we BTW included this realtek driver was because the other drivers from  a Japanese developer and Genmac would on some systems not fail gracefully but we have had hangs with does testbuilds. This Realtek driver at least does not hang your system.
I agree that these old drivers may cause problems, but to include a beta driver that most of the time will not work is also not the way to go as the user wont have a working network access. What is the plan with the SVN? Users create tickets but nobody from the developer team reply to these tickets since the last beta release of the driver.