• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Internet Explorer 5 under Win-OS/2

Started by ppgrainbow, 2011.06.07, 02:37:44

Previous topic - Next topic

ppgrainbow

Has anyone successfully attempted to install and run Internet Explorer 5 (16-bit) under Win-OS/2? ???

I have some sort of a problem here. I'm attempting to install Internet Explorer 5 (16-bit) under Win-OS/2 and IE5 setup complains about not being able to find any files to install. According to this screenshot here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/ie5winos2.png/

It claims that the disk labeled "Internet Explorer 5 (Core) for Win 3.1" is now required.

This disk is provided by your computer manufacturer.

Click OK to continue.

When I click OK, it says the following:

The file " on Internet Explorer 5 (Core) for Win 3.1 could not be found."

Insert &Internet Explorer 5 (Core) for Win 3.1 into the drive selected below, and click OK.

When I click on Details, it says the following:Error Details

The following error occurred: 'Unknown Error' (error #7b).

Setup could not finish opening a file on the source disk.

Source file: 'E:\INSTALL\IE50\'
Destination file: '='

The error repeats on other components that I'm attempting to install and the IE5 installation does not proceed any further. I've been searching for articles on attempting to run 16-bit Internet Explorer under Win-OS/2 and one article claimed that IE4 should run under Win-OS/2 without problems. Another forum post from October 2007 claimed that it takes a lot of hacks to get IE5 setup working under Win-OS/2, but fail to properly detail on how to get IE5 installed properly.

IE5 requires SHARE to be loaded at startup, however there is no SHARE available for the OS/2 DOS session. OS/2 resides on Drive C and Win-OS/2 programmes reside on Drive E.

Are there any hacks to get IE5 16-bit to setup and run properly under Win-OS/2? If IE5 does not work under Win-OS/2, then I'm gonna have to remove the IE5 setup directory.

I got IE5 to work under Windows NT 3.51 (under Virtual PC and VMware) without problems though.

David McKenna

I was never able to even get IE4 to run stable on WinOS/2 (IE3 was the last one I used). At the very least you will need to get Win32s and install that (check Hobbes?). It must be version 1.25. Version 1.3 will not run on WinOS/2 (Microsoft made sure of that). You can extract some parts of version 1.3 to add to 1.25 (I forget which - I seem to remember networking), but not all. My guess is IE5 needs version 1.3 of Win32s and so will not run on WinOS/2. It should be stated in some 'readme' somewhere...

ppgrainbow

Internet Explorer 5 can run without Win32s and the latest version of Win32s that can run is version 1.25.

I installed IE5 (16-bit) under a Windows 3.11 VM (sans Workgroups), but when I rebooted I found that there was a error occurring in the RUNONC16.DLL file linking to the offending file TDC16.DLL. If you're not running IE5 on Windows for Workgroups 3.1x, then the SHARE variable MUST be loaded in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

So, in that perspective, I don't think that Win32s is the issue when it comes to running 16-bit Internet Explorer...especially under Win-OS/2.

Pete

Hi All

Sorry, No idea on the ie problem but thought that this snippet of win32s info may be of interest as it involves using win32s 1.30c in win-os2

http://www.os2world.com/os2files/os2/tipsandtricks.html#Win32s

Regards

Pete

ppgrainbow

Quote from: Pete on 2011.06.07, 16:20:45
Hi All

Sorry, No idea on the ie problem but thought that this snippet of win32s info may be of interest as it involves using win32s 1.30c in win-os2

http://www.os2world.com/os2files/os2/tipsandtricks.html#Win32s

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the link.

However, Win32s has nothing to do with Internet Explorer 5 as it is app designed to run in 16-bit code under Windows 3.1x and possibly under Win-OS/2. The reason that I can't run it is that the setup files are broken and I might have to find ways to do some tweaking in order to get it to work. Win32s is not even mentioned in the README.TXT file for 16-bit IE5.

RobertM

Try a floppy based installation.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ppgrainbow

Quote from: RobertM on 2011.06.08, 01:03:02
Try a floppy based installation.

Well, RobertM. I put the files of Internet Explorer 5 in a ISO and I'm still getting the error that setup couldn't find the file " (single quote).

I found that three of the files in the IE5 16-bit setup MSHTML16.CAB, MAILNEWS.CAB and BROWSER.CAB will not fit on a 1.44 MB floppy.

Anyways attempting to install IE5 from the CD-ROM ISO results in the following error:

Unexpected Error. Could not load source.

INF install failure. Reason: Advpack error 0x1f68.

The installation would then attempt to proceed. However, upon selecting a standard or full installation of IE5, I still get the error that "The disk labeled 'Internet Explorer 5 (Core) for Win 3.1 is now required". When I click OK to continue. The progress bar stops at 15% and I still get greeted with the message:

The file " on Internet Explorer 5 (Core) for Win 3.1 could not be found.

Insert the Internet Explorer 5 (Core) for Win 3.1 into the drive selected below and click OK.

When I click on Details, I get the following:

Error Details

The following error occurred: 'Unknown Error' [error #7b].

Setup could not finish opening a file on the source disk.

Source file: '||X:\'
Destination file: '||C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2\SYSTEM\='

There are two vertical bars (|) in front of the source and destination directory path and a = after the OS2\MDOS\WINOS2\SYSTEM directory. Thus making installation of IE5 impossible without taking necessary hacks. Something is clearly amiss here. ???

Clicking on OK does not work at all and the installation does not proceed any further. When it does that, it writes a bunch of *.E?? backup files in the CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, PROGMAN.INI, WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI.

In order for IE5 setup under Win-OS/2 to be successful, would it take a lot of quick and dirty hacks of editing the INF files in order to get IE5 setup to recognise the source and destination directories as well as creating dummy AUTOEXEC.BAT files? ???

Fahrvenugen

I found a copy of the Win3.1 version of IE5.01 the other day, tried it in WinOS/2, and ran into an error when running setup, claiming that I didn't have enough memory.

Of course I have more then enough memory, so I'm guessing that this issue is how the setup is looking at the available memory in WinOS/2.  I tried playing with some of the memory settings, but no matter what I did I couldn't get around this error.

Anyone have any idea how to get around this?  I seem to recall from way back that I had at one point managed to get IE5 to run under Winos/2, but I think I had to do a fresh Win3.1 install under DOS, install it that way, then move the files / install over to WinOS/2.

DougB

Quoteclaiming that I didn't have enough memory.

I seem to recall that "not enough memory" can be caused by "too much disk space". Try using:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/dos/2gbfix.zip
and:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/dos/2GBFIXPA.ZIP
to limit the amount of disk space that a DOS/WinOS2 session will "see".

ppgrainbow

Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2011.06.08, 18:41:48
I found a copy of the Win3.1 version of IE5.01 the other day, tried it in WinOS/2, and ran into an error when running setup, claiming that I didn't have enough memory.

Of course I have more then enough memory, so I'm guessing that this issue is how the setup is looking at the available memory in WinOS/2.  I tried playing with some of the memory settings, but no matter what I did I couldn't get around this error.

Anyone have any idea how to get around this?  I seem to recall from way back that I had at one point managed to get IE5 to run under Winos/2, but I think I had to do a fresh Win3.1 install under DOS, install it that way, then move the files / install over to WinOS/2.

In order to set up Internet Explorer 5 16-bit under Windows 3.1 or Win-OS/2, you need to use SETUP /F:16 which will limit the amount of RAM used to setup the browser.

ppgrainbow

Quote from: DougB on 2011.06.08, 20:44:34
Quoteclaiming that I didn't have enough memory.

I seem to recall that "not enough memory" can be caused by "too much disk space". Try using:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/dos/2gbfix.zip
and:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/dos/2GBFIXPA.ZIP
to limit the amount of disk space that a DOS/WinOS2 session will "see".

Well...I even used the 2GBFIX utility in a Win-OS/2 environment to set up IE5 and it had no effect on the installation.

ppgrainbow

A little update on things.

Well...I tried to make progress in getting IE5 16-bit installed and had to do the hard way.

I did a XXCOPY of IE directory off on Drive C of a Windows 3.1 installation under DOSBox (mapped as drive I) onto drive E of the OS/2 installation (mapped as drive Q), then I copied the DLLs dated 6 February 1999 that are required to run IE5 16-bit and the REGDATA directory.

Internet Explorer 5 would start, however I'm get a blank gray window instead of the webpage that I'm visiting: http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6001/ie5blank.png

Are there any other hacks to get IE5 properly installed?

(If you found any hacks, please let me know.)

Update 1: I had to do a import of a registry file from a Win 3.1 installation and I'm still attempting to get IE5 to work right even though most of the features are partially working. I did a backup of the REG16X2.DAT file as REG16X2.IE5 incase I screw things up.

Going into the Control Panel, there is a Internet Properties icon and most of the features work.

However, I've run into numerous problems:

1. In the Security settings, the page is blank and clicking on OK or one of the settings crashes the Control Panel applet: http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8558/ie5security.png

2. In the Connections settings, I get a warning that I've selected to use the dialer but do not have a modem installed. It tells me to either switch to LAN or install a modem by running the Connection Wizard and click on the Your local area network or another dialer radio button has no effect on it as well: http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1973/ie5connections.png

In short, I don't have a modem at all.

3. In the Programs tab, the only thing that's not working is the File Types; clicking on the button has no effect: http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/2769/ie5advanced.png

4. Lastly, in the Advanced Tab, everything is blank. Simply clicking on Restore Defaults or anywhere around the tab crashes the Control Panel.

In the end, I'm guessing that it turns out that either some of the DLLs that make Internet Explorer 5 work are not properly registered or the registry keys aren't working. :(

I don't know if it's going to work, but I will try to look at the registry settings via REGEDT16 to see what could be the problem as I fear that getting Internet Explorer 5 (16-bit) to work under Win-OS/2 is starting to take up too much of my time and that it makes things more buggy or error prone.

Update 2: I have literally given up on using Internet Explorer 5 on Win-OS/2 as it takes too much time to get it to work properly without having to causing internet connection related problems.

From what I heard is that Internet Explorer 3.03 (16-bit) is the last working version of the product that works in a Win-OS/2 environment as Internet Explorer 4 and Internet Explorer 5 appears to be broken and even incompatible with Win-OS/2. Additionally, IE4 and IE5 (16-bit) breaks Win-OS/2 internet connection even if the Win16-based Ping service appears to be working.

I'm guessing that I'm gonna have to start a new thread on how to get internet connection in a Win-OS/2 environment fully restored again. :(

Update 3: Had to delete WINSOCK.DLL from the \OS2\MDOS\WINOS2\SYSTEM directory and the internet under Win-OS2 is working again. Until there are workarounds on how to install Internet Explorer 5, I'm stuck with IE 3.03.