• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS 2.0 x Win7 Networking

Started by djcaetano, 2011.06.07, 05:40:28

Previous topic - Next topic

djcaetano

Is there any way to allow Windows 7 and eCS to see each other through NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
  I had already configured hosts/lmhosts files and the correct workgroup... but without any real result.
  There is not problem between WinXP and eCS on the same network.

Regards!

djcaetano

Ha... the answer is Samba Server.
It is incredible how Samba Server install has evolved! :)
I am really surprised. The only thing I think could be improved is asking the workgroup name. Besides that, everything is done really fast and simply... works. :)
Kudos for Samba Server for eCS developers! :)

herwigb

You are welcome.

I noted down the workgroup thing, it seems to make sense.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

herwigb

Additional note:

Connectivity between Win7 and eCS using Samba Client and Server will improve a lot as soon as we manage to complete the port of Samba 3.5 and eventually 3.6.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

digimaus

No, you don't need Samba Server.  I have OS/2 Warp 4.52 and Windows 7 Enterprise "talking" just fine to each other.  The problem is that Windows 7 uses a non-standard algorithm to send out the user account password to OS/2 and older versions of Windows (XP and earlier).

The simple solution is to create a user account on both machines that doesn't use a password.  Then SMB will work just fine.

I've never understood the quick answer of "Samba!" when it's not needed.  I've gotten OS/2 and eCS to talk to every version of Windows made without ever once using Samba.  Maybe I just have the magic touch, I don't know...

herwigb

QuoteNo, you don't need Samba Server.
For a reasonable LAN setup you NEED Samba Server and/or Client these days.

QuoteI have OS/2 Warp 4.52 and Windows 7 Enterprise "talking" just fine to each other.
Well, SMB is SMB is SMB.... however it is not that simple. However that setup will only require the Samba client...

QuoteThe simple solution is to create a user account on both machines that doesn't use a password.
Well, that is not a reasonable setup for most purposes, as it is  giant security loophole, which is not acceptable in MOST situations.

QuoteThen SMB will work just fine.
For simple file transfers that is correct.

QuoteI've never understood the quick answer of "Samba!" when it's not needed.
It is need as long as you want to do networking on a level that covers more than just simple file transfers...

QuoteMaybe I just have the magic touch, I don't know...
Nah, your requirements are just low enough ;)
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

ivan

Hi herwigb,

You are the expert on SAMBA so maybe you can help me.

I have a D-Link DNS-320 NAS that has a USB print server built in.  I would like to use that and not have to buy a dedicated network print server, is it possible with SAMBA at the moment and if so how?

ivan

herwigb

Hello Ivan,

while I did not have time to investigate the specs of your NAS, the answer is quite likely yes.

When browsing the NAS using EVFSGUI - does the printer show up in the shares list of the NAS in the network neighbourhood?
You wont be able to use EVFSGUI to connect to the printer right now (I am working on that), but at least it should work using SMB.PDR port driver.

Please note that if it is possible to use lpd printing on the NAS, this is going to be the better solution (SLPR port driver).
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

ivan

Hi Herwigb,

I managed to do a test over the weekend with a windows box that was brought in for repair.  The print server in the NAS works using \\193.168.0.30\lp as the port in win XP.  Am I correct in assuming that is what I need to use from OS/2 with the SMB printer port?

ivan

Pete

Hi ivan

You will probably be better off using the slpr print port with your nas - samba not required at all.

Regards

Pete

herwigb

@ivan: yes.

QuoteYou will probably be better off using the slpr print port with your nas - samba not required at all.
Absolutely. Even though it was me who made the smb.pdr workable and usable (with help from Paul and Silvan), I don't use it myself except for testing purposes.

The slpr.pdr gives you a much better performance.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.