• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Utility for changing default open action in WPS data file objects?

Started by ChocolateJollis, 2011.12.25, 18:56:24

Previous topic - Next topic

ChocolateJollis

I'm looking for something that lets me change the default "Open"
action in WPS data file objects. After restoring an old backup,
apparently the EA's were not backed up, so I have a bunch of
documents that have either no default action or the wrong one.
For instance, some of the documents are MSWord 6, yet
double-clicking on them attempts to bring up the System Editor.
Also, a bunch are IBM Works documents, but they too try to open
in the system editor.

I used to have a utility that could do this, once upon a time.
But haven't been able to find it again.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

JPW
John Willis

Compaq Presario CQ5320Y
Dual-boot eComStation 2.1/CentOS 6
nVidia GeForce 6150SE
nVidia MCP61 HD Audio
2GB RAM
500GB hard drive

sXwamp

Quote from: ChocolateJollis on 2011.12.25, 18:56:24

I used to have a utility that could do this, once upon a time.
But haven't been able to find it again.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

JPW

Here it is => Under the Utilities Section:

http://www.os2notes.com/os2files.html

AssoEDIT - the association editor (ASSOEDIT.EXE) is a tool that allows you to inspect and, optionally change associations set for file types and file filters.

Greggory

RobertM

Additionally, you can do this from the Templates folder(s) by assigning a default action to the appropriate template (or creating said template if it does not exist, then assigning the default action). You can use the default Data template to create additional templates for specific types of data files.

You can also associate a program with an object type. Usually, with nothing else assigned to that object, that program will become the default "Open as" object"

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

aschn

Quote from: RobertM on 2011.12.26, 14:46:18
Additionally, you can do this from the Templates folder(s) by assigning a default action to the appropriate template (or creating said template if it does not exist, then assigning the default action). You can use the default Data template to create additional templates for specific types of data files.

My templates don't work that way. Applying settings to template objects affect only those objects that were created from these templates. There exists one exception: The settings on the 'Browser' tab of the URL template work globally when the 'Set Default' button was pressed.

The standard WPS mechanism to set global assocs is via the 'Association' tabs of program objects only. An object that lists all assocs for all types and filters doesn't exists. That's why AssoEdit is a must-have tool.

Andreas

RobertM

Quote from: aschn on 2011.12.27, 13:21:22
Quote from: RobertM on 2011.12.26, 14:46:18

My templates don't work that way. Applying settings to template objects affect only those objects that were created from these templates. There exists one exception: The settings on the 'Browser' tab of the URL template work globally when the 'Set Default' button was pressed.

The standard WPS mechanism to set global assocs is via the 'Association' tabs of program objects only. An object that lists all assocs for all types and filters doesn't exists. That's why AssoEdit is a must-have tool.

Andreas

No, it works, but there are a few extra steps necessary. I do it all the time - or used to... see below. Associations are set various ways - some of which are dependent on things like WPS enhancements such as xWP (or lack thereof) and what features are enabled.

The default OS/2 association mechanism should work fine if a data type is created - though it seems that on some variants, a program is needed to set the object type of existing files afterwards (though, I don't have that problem on at least one my systems; but that's with a lot of WPS enhancements, so I am not sure which is taking care of it for me). For new objects, created a variety of ways, there generally isn't any issue, as you noted.

Now, a trick that works is often this:
(1) CREATE the new data-type template
(2) Do NOT assign anything to it (ie: an app or such)
(3) Assign those types of files to the program

Nonetheless, associating an app with a file type is different than associating an object with an app. I generally ensure both types of associations are correct.

Here's one of the differences. If an OBJECT type is associated with an app, then any object of that type will have that app in it's "Open As" menu, regardless of the extension being used. If an APP is associated with a FILE type (such as "*jpg") it is dependent on that FILE extension, even if the object type is set correctly.

Now, on some programs, dual associations are in place, which mean it will recognize by FILE extension and OBJECT type.

There are other scenarios where such associations matter - but there aren't many. And, for compatibility purposes, removing file extensions (EVEN WITH a properly set-up "dual association scheme") is probably not a good idea - doing such may (err... probably will) break compatibility with things like Windows, and various apps (such as certain FTP apps, web servers, etc; which use the extension to determine whether files should be transferred in binary or ASCII mode).

And of course, an OBJECT type can be linked to FILE types by their extension - and retaining the object type association (if removing the extension) is as simple as selecting the correct choice on the pop-up that appears when one removes or changes the file extension.

HTH everyone who may have been curious about the WPS and how it handles extensions.

-Robert

PS: CAPS used to differentiate, and in place of bolding, simply because I got lazy...  ;)

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|