• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS Samba Client (EVFS) timeout problem

Started by djcaetano, 2011.06.09, 00:53:28

Previous topic - Next topic

djcaetano

Since yesterday I am using EVFS (Samba Client) as a IBM Peer to Peer replacement. I have found one little problem, though.
I can connect to a share on another computer, but after some time it just doesn't work anymore. If I had left EVFSGUI opened, it can't reconnect: the drive has to be dettached, EVFSGUI must be closed and reopened so I can connect again.
   I believe this has something to to with some timeout setting, because the system reacts just like if the connection was lost.

Anyone knows how to overcome this limitation? It is *very* annoying to dettach/close/open/attach several times a day.

Regards!

ivan

Hi Daniel,

Sorry I can't help directly with your problem but using Samba on OS/2 I just mount the drives on the NAS to a drive letter and have no problems - been up for 27 and a bit days now.  Does the GUI actually do anything useful that you need to keep it open all the time?

ivan

djcaetano

Hi Ivan,

In fact, it doesn't matter if I keep EVFSGUI opened or not. After some time without use, the network drive assigned to the remote share becomes "empty" (no files/dirs shown) until I re-open EVFSGUI and re-attach it. I have never had this problem when using IBM Peer to Peer, when connections were lost only when the remote host became unavailable.
If I keep using the network drive, it works as it should. The problem seems related to long inactivity times. But if your network drivers keep working after so much time, this is good news: there is a way to make it work.... it is just a matter of "how". :)

herwigb

QuoteIn fact, it doesn't matter if I keep EVFSGUI opened or not.
No, it definitely does not. Please note EVFSGUI is just a frontend GUI to EVFS, which internally handles the core functionality, and a GUI for the commandline utilities such as smbtree.exe. EVFSGUI does not (yet) run a daemon to monitor certain things.

QuoteThe problem seems related to long inactivity times
Is this a Windows or a Samba server you are dealing with? In both cases this is most likely a server side setting that has to be changed.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.