• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Flash drive support in Warp eServer

Started by rich4421972, 2011.06.15, 21:40:25

Previous topic - Next topic

rich4421972

I am using Warp Server for e-business (4.52) on a PIII IBM Thinkpad T20. I would like to use a 512MB flash drive to transfer files back and forth from another computer. My computer recognizes the USB drive but cannot read or format it beyond a limit of 1.44MB. I have formatted the Flash drive using the FAT16 filesystem, but even then I cannot get the computer to recognize the fact that it is a large (well, sort of) 512MB drive. Is there a way to get Warp 4 to recognize this kind of a device? Thank you for any and all answers

ivan

Hi Rich,

A couple of questions. 
1) What OS are you wanting to transfer to?
2) Since you are using WSeB I am assuming you have used LVM on your HD, have you used it on the flash drive?
3) If you are trying to transfer to a windows machine do you have the fat32.ifs installed?

I ask those questions because I to am using WSeB and can use without problems a 512MB, a 1GB and a 4GB flash drives.  The 512MB and 4GB are formatted HPFS while the 1GB is fat32 because I do have to work, as in repair, win machines.

ivan

rich4421972

I wish to transfer back and forth with a Windows 7 computer
I do not know how to use LVM but I guess that is probably where the answer lies
I do not have the fat32.ifs installed
I am also using the vanilla usb drivers provided in the convenience pack. The OS recognizes the drives OK

Thanks for responding,
Rich

ivan

OK, let's see what we can do.

First you need to get fat32 ifs ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_0913.wpi and install it. You have Warpin installed I assume.
Next, go to hobbes and get Dfsee (see software news section above), unzip and when the time comes use dfsos2 in the os2 dir.

Now attach your flash drive and when you get the note it is attached start Dfsee and select it.  You can then create a partition on it and give it the necessary LVM information.  Then you use Dfsee to format it fat32 and you should be ready to go.

Two observations I should make.
1) you should update the USBMSD.ADD if possible as well as the base drivers.
2) what you are trying to do could maybe better accomplished using SAMBA (Netlabs).

ivan

Radek

I have seen a very similar problem after putting my flash drive into a winblows machine and copying some files on it. When I came home and put the drive into my eCS, the drive has not been accepted and recognized. The "Properties" dialog thought that the dirive is a diskette. It was also a 512 MB drive formatted as FAT16.

I have used GParted (a Linux partition editor). I deleted the bad partition on the flash drive, created a new FAT16 partition, and reformatted the drive. The drive started working. Later on, there were no problems with transferring files using the drive. Most likely, winblows put something more than the wanted files on the drive.

512 MB and FAT16 should be okay for WSeB. (1) Reformat, (2) make sure that your OS/2 machine has no problems with the drive, and (3) use the drive elsewhere. You will see whether the probles persist. GParted is a free of charge bootable ISO with Gnome environment and the partition editor. GParted is a "PM", not commad-line, app.

Pete

Hi Rich

You may want to check your usb configuration is what you think it should be - USBcfg may be of help http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/USBcfgb071.zip

You will also find find in the Help an FAQ dealing with USB Removables that could be of interest.

Regards

Pete