• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Firefox 6, 8 and 9

Started by melf, 2012.01.21, 01:41:03

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

I have had some crashes on the above mentioned browsers. I thought it was due to other things, but now I have found out that it depends on  the browser (as it seems). If I try to enter this site: http://www.kjell.com/ the browser immediately crashes and there are other sites to. If I deselect javascript the site passes. Sometimes it crashes on more and more sites, even os2world.com. Now I have found out that firefox 4.0.1 works without trouble. Does anyone recognize this problem?
/Mikael

DougB

I am not sure if this will help, or not, but:

In Firefox 6+ try going to Tools-> Options-> Advanced, and turn off "Use hardware acceleration when available".

melf

Hi Doug,
no it makes no difference. I have now also tested on a clean eCS2.1 install and also in "safe-mode". The behaviour is the same. When I read the ff9 readme I was aware of that exceptq created reports (hadn't noticed that before), so I have sent them to the email address in the readme.
/Mikael

Joop

Quote from: melf on 2012.01.21, 01:41:03
If I try to enter this site: http://www.kjell.com/ the browser immediately crashes and there are other sites to.
Has nothing to do with FireFox. The site builders don't know what they are doing. This site seems to be optimized for Windows IE, but in the setup the builder forgot to setup the most vital thinks which makes a html page a proper html page. I don't think this site will pass any test. That you have to disable javascript says something about the script itself, not the javascript implementation. However, the implemented javascript is not bug free, there are some strange behaviors if you call a new window. But again, most pages are not written in proper html, make use of bad javascript scripts or make use of flash because they think that makes the page a good page. The best visited pages doesn't make use of flash or javascript. Why, because those pages is about the contents and not about the page itself.

I run FireFox 8.0.1 and 6.0.2 and have no problems as long as the builders did use proper html.

Regards,
Joop

DougB

QuoteI run FireFox 8.0.1 and 6.0.2 and have no problems as long as the builders did use proper html

It shouldn't matter if you try to load epm.exe as a page, The browser shouldn't crash (but it probably will, I haven't tried it). It may not display anything readable, but it shouldn't crash. Of course, no code is likely to be that bullet proof. On the other hand, if the content contains something that is trying to exploit a hole in the code (a virus), almost anything could happen, but a crash is the most likely result, unless you are running windows.

If you want to have the hard facts about a badly constructed web page, try this web site: http://validator.w3.org/. It is also good to check, and fix, your own web pages, if you have any.

QuoteThe best visited pages doesn't make use of flash or javascript. Why, because those pages is about the contents and not about the page itself.

Now this statement is true, but JavaScript does have a place when it comes to validating things like passwords. Of course, that should not be a complicated script, and it should be designed to run on any browser that supports JavaScript. Flash seems to be going away in that context, but it is still used for a lot of advertizing. FLASHBLOCK is pretty effective at reducing that sort of interference, but FLASHBLOCK itself stays running in the background, and that can cause intermittent crashes, just because it is not a good program (and that applies to all platforms, especially windows).

QuoteWhen I read the ff9 readme I was aware of that exceptq created reports (hadn't noticed that before), so I have sent them to the email address in the readme.

ExceptQ has been part of Firefox since about v4. If you follow the Mozilla news group, they say that you really should query such a problem there, before sending logs. I guess that they get so many that it becomes difficult to sort them out, and they hope to reduce the number by identifying duplicates, before they get sent. They also need detailed instructions on how to cause the problem.

None of that will really help with your problem though. FWIW, I am using FF 9.01, with no apparent problems, so I would suspect that some plugin might be causing the problem (unless it really is just a bad page, which you could avoid). I have FLASHBLOCK, and ADDBLOCK, installed. I also use the default theme, which may also make a difference.

melf

I'm not knowledged about how it is built Joop, but you're probably right. However, my view is that a web browser should handle such sites in another way than crashing. It is not an abuse site, but a popular shop in "home electronics". Firefox 4.0.1 shows the site without problem. As I said this is also not the only site crashing my FF 6,8,9 (but the most reliable in that matter ;-) ) .

I have run without any add on, same result. I normally always use flashblock and use default theme. To out-rule possible other effects, I, as I said also made a clean ecs2.1 install. The difference in performance (for me) between FF4.0.1 and FF6,8,9 is consistent and at least points to a difference in handling troublesome sites.

If you (Joop and Doug) don't experience the problem in your setting on the mentioned site, then I guess I should suspect other problems .. could it be hard ware related?
/Mikael

RobertM

Actually, nowadays, I find very few sites that don't use Javascript. Flash, sure... but Javascript, no. I suspect you meant Java.

Even Wikipedia, which will work without Javascript, becomes virtually (if not totally) useless for contributors/editors if Javascript support is disabled. And that's the largest site I can think of that works without it.

Yes, many sites gracefully fail without it - but the experience isn't the same. That aside, making working Javascript that doesn't kill a browser isn't too tough - even with the IE workarounds that are generally needed (well, now that IE6 is disappearing).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Joop

Quote from: melf on 2012.01.21, 18:52:16
I'm not knowledged about how it is built Joop, but you're probably right. However, my view is that a web browser should handle such sites in another way than crashing. It is not an abuse site, but a popular shop in "home electronics". Firefox 4.0.1 shows the site without problem. As I said this is also not the only site crashing my FF 6,8,9 (but the most reliable in that matter ;-) ) .

I have run without any add on, same result. I normally always use flashblock and use default theme. To out-rule possible other effects, I, as I said also made a clean ecs2.1 install. The difference in performance (for me) between FF4.0.1 and FF6,8,9 is consistent and at least points to a difference in handling troublesome sites.

If you (Joop and Doug) don't experience the problem in your setting on the mentioned site, then I guess I should suspect other problems .. could it be hard ware related?
HTML pages today have to be written more strict to the standard. That's the reason why FF4.0 do read the page without crashing. However FF 6.0 and up are more strict and do crash because the page is not written in the right way. The crashing might be due to (I believe) the port driver for which there is an update which I still haven't installed. So if you don't mention what standard you use thing go idle like your presented site. And no, has nothing to do with your hardware. I did switch off javascript, because with it did crash. Without javascript the page does load. Then you can switch to source and see how the page is setup in html code. Clearly you can see that vital components to identify the standard are missing. Only already this fact will raise lots of errors if you're going to validate the page. Its just a bad site, don't worry about it.

abwillis

Even given that it is a bad site, it is not good that the browser crashes.  I could understand it not displaying anything, or displaying very awkwardly but the crash is bad (crashes Seamonkey 2.6.1 too).  Has anyone sent the exceptq crash logs?

melf

Ok, then I know it is not just crashes my browser, thanks for info. I sent the logs to the emailaddress in the ff os2readme.
/Mikael

dryeo

Quote from: melf on 2012.01.21, 01:41:03
I have had some crashes on the above mentioned browsers. I thought it was due to other things, but now I have found out that it depends on  the browser (as it seems). If I try to enter this site: http://www.kjell.com/ the browser immediately crashes and there are other sites to. If I deselect javascript the site passes. Sometimes it crashes on more and more sites, even os2world.com. Now I have found out that firefox 4.0.1 works without trouble. Does anyone recognize this problem?

This is a known problem, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=686186.
Also I screwed up the packaging of Firefox 9 and left out the xqs files. Please download ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/firefox-9.0.1_xqs.zip (careful about os2world mangling the URL, namely an extra http://) and unzip it into your firefox program directory. (should be corresponding xqs files to the DLLs and exe). Without these your trap report is very incomplete.
Bonus points for creating xqs files for libc06x.dll and other system dlls. See the exceptq documentation for how to. Exceptq is available on Hobbes.

miturbide

Hi

I don't know much about exceptq. Where does it store the logs files to check them?

Melf, I think I'm experiencing the same error on a eCS 2.1 virtual Machine on sourceforge with firefox 8.0.1. If I disable Javascript, the browser do not crash.
Here it is the video: http://youtu.be/ZJXug6SiltI
(enable YouTube HTML5 trial for non-flash)
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

dryeo

Quote from: miturbide on 2012.01.23, 05:05:58
Hi

I don't know much about exceptq. Where does it store the logs files to check them?

Melf, I think I'm experiencing the same error on a eCS 2.1 virtual Machine on sourceforge with firefox 8.0.1. If I disable Javascript, the browser do not crash.
Here it is the video: http://youtu.be/ZJXug6SiltI
(enable YouTube HTML5 trial for non-flash)

You'll find the trp file in the program directory with a name such as 4FEC_01.TRP.
The sourceforge download page is one of the pages that triggers this bug. Interesting that turning of JavaScript stops the crash.

melf

Quote from: miturbide on 2012.01.23, 05:05:58

Yes, seems to be the same behaviour.
/Mikael