• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Firefox 4? Firefox 5? Huh?

Started by Ben, 2011.06.20, 14:00:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Hi Ben

I could load self-wrighting.net but could not load the News section as it gave the same server error.

However, all seems to be working now  :-)

Regards

Pete

Ben

Quote from: Pete on 2011.06.28, 17:46:33Hi Ben

I could load self-wrighting.net but could not load the News section as it gave the same server error.

However, all seems to be working now  :-)

Regards

Pete

Er... are you saying that the news section works OK for you now? or that it still does not?

I cannot see how self-wrighting.net works, but news.self-wrighting.net does not... or could not... they are both on the same machine and run under the same software.

Ben

Also, now Firefox 6 and 7 are both being worked on.

I cannot say that I agree with this new numbering system.

In a few years they'll either have to rename the product or start using century+ digits.

Ben

DawnnaDukes

I didn't see any changes in this version. It just looks like Firefox 4. But there are some minor changes or up gradation can say are

Support for CSS animations
     Better visibility for the Do-Not-Track header preference
     Improved canvas and JavaScript support
     Better standards support for canvas, HTML5, XHR, MathML and SMIL
     Better tuned HTTP idle connection logic
This sounds good for this new version.
What you think on this guys? Need your views.

warpcafe

Hi,

although I can't say anything about the status of implementation regarding the OS/2 port, I think HTML5 is the important aspect.
I really appreciate a lot of companies going away from Flash in favor of HTML5. In the long run, Flash will be dead - which solves one of the biggest problems we have right now with regards to "internet".

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Ben

So, what are we going to have in a few years? Firefox 295?

I have to wonder what their motivation is, (confusion?), though sooner or later it will surface.

With regards to HTML 5, I have to agree with warpcafe, it will solve a lot of problems for OS/2 web surfers... and I was never a fan of Flash... not the product, nor otherwise, for by definition, it lacks substance. Good riddance to it.

Pete

Hi Ben and Thomas

Yes, I think html5 is important.

Sadly I seem to recall reading somewhere that Apple and M$ will be pushing support for h264 - I say sadly because Mozilla will not be supporting h264, see http://shaver.off.net/diary/2010/01/23/html5-video-and-codecs/

So, we will end up with html5 video support that cannot play some html5 videos.

I guess I'll just follow the procedure I use to watch flash vids if I bump into a h264 video that I want to watch: download using clipgrab (or similar) and play with (s)mplayer or vlc.

As to Firefox version numbers: I think I'm glad that I stayed with Seamonkey   :-)

Regards

Pete

ppgrainbow

And now Firefox 6 and SeaMonkey 2.3 for OS/2 and eCS has been released.

It can be found on Mozilla's FTP site. I sure hope that there will be a Firefox 7, 8 and even Firefox 9 for OS/2 and eCS to close out this year. :)

I will be installing it on my Warp 4 VM real soon!

melf

Disregarding numbers I can see that the speed is better and better. For some year when using the 3.x releases Peacekeeper speeded me at about 500 points. With the first release of FF 4 i was up in 1400 I think, the 1.4.2 release gave me 1700 points and FF6 in fact gives me 1913 points. Not a bad developement!
/Mikael

Pete

Hi All

Thanks to ppgrainbow for pointing out the new mozilla releases.

However, before we all rush off and install any of them Rich Walsh (mozilla os/2 team) states that we should not install as there is at least 1 bug (cannot type into url bar after printing; a focus problem). He is currently working on this and expects to upload fixed builds soon.

If, like me, you rarely print from a mozilla browser then I guess you will not see the problem  :-)  - but it may be a good idea to wait for the fixed builds though.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi all

Just to let everyone know that the fixed builds are now available and have file dates 2011-08-21
http://ftp//ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/6.0/contrib/firefox-6.0.en-US.os2.zip
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.3/contrib/seamonkey-2.3.en-US.os2.zip
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/6.0/contrib/thunderbird-6.0.en-US.os2.zip

On a related note: the fixed/patched tcpip32.dll seems to have resolved the problem of mozilla apps crashing (an SMP related problem) and is available from  http://e-vertise.com/misc/tcpip32-safe.zip

Regards

Pete

melf

Thanks for info! I saw these builds but thought they were the same. The url-bar problem is away.
/Mikael