• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

WSEB and LCD Flat panel moniters?¿?¿

Started by klipp, 2011.07.20, 07:03:49

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

How can I get higher resolutions when using LCD Flat panel monitors with WSEB, so far the best I can do is good old 640x480 16color! I've tried eCS's newest SNAP (snap491) and it hangs the mouse on the final step before the final re-boot. I've tried porting both panorama & Snap from eCS 2.1 but that too ends up in disaster! The old CRT moniters work without problems.
  Has anyone had any luck getting this to work?
  Thanks for any ideas.

klipp
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Blonde Guy

Well, I'm running WSeB with SNAP graphics at 1024 x 768 and 16M colors on an LCD monitor. But SNAP just works -- there are lots of higher resolutions I could have picked, but it's my server, so I really don't need a lot of video for it.

What is your display adapter?
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

ivan

Klipp, I think it may be a problem with your graphics card as Blond Guy says.

I'm running Snap-os2-3.1.8 with the free key.  My monitor is at 1920x1200x16m using an ATI Radeon card.

ivan

klipp

Hey guys, thanks for the response's. This machine is a back-up server which has both eCS 2.1 & Linux running at higher resolutions w/o problems. It uses a Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 AGP 8x Video Display card. Seeing as you are having no problems, it looks like I need to screw with WSEB (its a very old "Preview" edition I.B.M. sent me many years ago) and has worked fine until I tried upgrading the Display. I've probably missed upgrading some file! Using a CRT moniter I can go 1280x1024 64k colors.

Thanks for the help

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Radek

Note that even if SNAP supports a lot of standard video cards connected to standard monitors, it supports significantly less video cards connected to LCD monitors, and only a few video cards in notebooks. At least, it used to - including SNAP 318. Check a chiplist which comes with your driver and see, whether your video card is supported with a LCD.

If it is not listed in the LCD section then it is possible that SNAP does not support your GeForce with a LCD monitor. I have a similar experience: I have ATI Radeon, which is supported by SNAP but not in notebooks. The end. I must run Panorama, SNAP supports my video only in VESA VBE (unbearably slow).

As to Panorama: AFAIK, Panorama relies on VESA BIOS on your video card. If it is not there or if it is buggy then you are out of luck. Note that winblows do not use VESA, therefore, the BIOS coders do not waste time on it. Even if your card is boasting that it is "VESA VBE 3.0 compatible", the said "compatibility" may consist in passing stadard BIOS video modes to the standard video interrupt 10h. That might be all. Yes, I have seen such "compatible" video card.

Andi

The usual fail safe way - reset to VGA from ALT-F1 and then reinstall snap3.18. This has ever worked on my systems. Most times skipping reset to VGA works too.

After that set in System-Screen page 2 to (Standard monitor types) and select the correct physical resolution of your TFT should work even when automatic monitor detection does not.

Pete

Hi klipp

The current eCS supplied SNAP is build 505.

I had a system with a nVidia GeForce4 MX440 AGP several years ago and it ran fine with SNAP 1280x1024@85Hz 16 million colours (CRT monitor).

If your LCD monitor is analog you should be able to get it to work - providing your "preview" WSEB is not missing any files needed due to being a preview.

Regards

Pete

klipp

Thanks Andi & Pete!

Andi: I agree with you completely, thats the way it should work, problem is , it doesn't work ! The machine "Hangs" with delayed & jumpy mouse action at the very end of the install where you select color depth, freq, and resolution, with no way to complete the install.

Pete: Hey Pete! Its been a while, how're you doing? I think you are correct when you say something probably got left out tn this early version of WSEB!
I'm in the process of trying a different approach, Running WSEB under eCS 2.1! I actually had this pretty much working until I totally screwed everything up messing with Printer & File sharing. So I need to start all over again! But going this way gives normal working SNAP, LVM & JFS  (all of which were problamatic with this version of WSEB) and gives all the benefits of eCS. Hopefully, soon, (probably later) I'll have this all working once again!

thanks
klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Pete

Hi klipp

I, err, found a copy of WSEB (torrent) that I was thinking about trying to install at some point but I'm not usre if I have an hardware old enough to install it on. The idea of using it "under" eCS interests me though - especially as I could use more modern hardware.

How do you go about this? Maybe you could provide a "how to"?

Regards

Pete

klipp

Hey Pete! I just got the basics up and running once again (I'm an EXPERT at screwing things up!). This time using JFS, (Looks like its doing its thing faster). I've got quite a few things to further check out and if all looks good I will put together a How-To! I'm done for tonight, before I screw it up again!

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Andi

Quote from: Pete on 2011.07.25, 03:40:41
Hi klipp

I, err, found a copy of WSEB (torrent) that I was thinking about trying to install at some point but I'm not usre if I have an hardware old enough to install it on. The idea of using it "under" eCS interests me though - especially as I could use more modern hardware.

Regards

Pete

I would suggest starting LANINST from the WSEB CD within eCS and select the components you need. AFAIK after installation LANINST can be found in \ibmcom\install\

RobertM

Certain nVidia and S3 chipsets do not play well with SNAP. I'd posted something similar on that subject elsewhere. I have gotten the MX440 working, but it does seem to take removing all SNAP/GRADD and similar references (after reverting to VGA) and re-installing GRADD support, followed by (with VGA still in use), installing SNAP.

The performance was very very horrendous. An ancient ATI card works far better (like a Radeon 9250).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: Andi on 2011.07.26, 14:05:19
Quote from: Pete on 2011.07.25, 03:40:41
Hi klipp

Regards

Pete

I would suggest starting LANINST from the WSEB CD within eCS and select the components you need. AFAIK after installation LANINST can be found in \ibmcom\install\

After that, you should find the latest updates, and apply them - especially if you end up backleveling components to WSeB's component levels (networking largely, but there are probably others).

For a bare WSeB install:
WSeB will be problematic to install on newer hardware (semi-new) without some updates to the CDs. Most problematic will be the IDE driver (easy swap to DANI's - just replace and rename to IBM1S506). On some of the newest hardware, it will require a bit more work.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

klipp

This is a pretty sad example of a How-To, Pete - But here's how I made it work:

I had WSEB up and running fine on an old box with with a Tyan Tomcat M.B. and I wanted it running exactly the same on a newer box using eCS 2.1 using a LCD Moniter.

I booted to another partition on this old box that had eCS installed, and copied the contents of the WSEB partition to a memory stick.

Then on the new box, I created a new Primary partition, and formatted it JFS.

Next I copied the contents of the memory stick to that new primary partition, and made it startable.

Then I installed eCS 2.1 on this partition (leaving out the install of File & Print Client) but doing a Migrate without formatting.

The final re-boot of the install brought up WSEB in an eCS 2.1 atmosphere, with only minor tunning up of the Desptop required.

Here is a snapshot of the desktop:

http://www.os2-ecs-mexico.com/images/ecs-wseb2.bmp

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

ivan

QuoteFor a bare WSeB install:
WSeB will be problematic to install on newer hardware (semi-new) without some updates to the CDs. Most problematic will be the IDE driver (easy swap to DANI's - just replace and rename to IBM1S506). On some of the newest hardware, it will require a bit more work.

Hi Robert,

I have the joy of setting up a couple of servers next month.  They have a Super Micro 6DVA-4G board in a SC811s chasis.

My problem is not the IDE drivers - only the CD uses them, and I've got the LSI driver for the SCSI, but the fact it's all Intel - processors, chipset and lan, something I've never really had to deal with before as I normally use AMD processors and ATI graphics.

I have an updated WSeB CD image just waiting for me to find the lan driver before I burn it.

Other than that is there anything you think I should look out for?

ivan