• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

WSEB and LCD Flat panel moniters?¿?¿

Started by klipp, 2011.07.20, 07:03:49

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hi Ivan,

None that I can see. The Intel E7320 chipset should be supported by WSeB v4.51 and above - it's a common chipset in various HP servers, some of which are well tested to run OS/2 WSeB (of that revision).

The Intel Pro 100/1000 driver (such as what's used on the 82540EM Desktop MT adapter) are supposed to work with the 82541GI variant on that board - even in PCI-X (though I have not tested that). I STRONGLY suggest version 3.61 of the drivers, and not the newer v4.09 on Intel's website. If you cannot find a copy, let me know. Alternatively, the new Intel drivers ported to eComStation may also work (though I haven't dug into them yet, as I've had no need).

Video should be fine (try SNAP).

USB - I'd suggest updating to the newest USB drivers discussed in the forums here, even if the WSeB ones work.

SMP support - you may be limited to using OS2APIC and may not get full support for all cores. Depends on how much the chipset support varies from the MP1.4 specs - in that area, my only experience has been (a) I've gotten two single core CPUs to work, (b) I've gotten two HT CPUs to be recognized as a total of two, and (c) I've gotten only 2 of 4 CPUs to be recognized in quad CPU setup - but that was with a different (albeit earlier, and supposedly supporting MP1.4) chipset. Your results will probably vary. If it does not recognize all the CPUs and/or cores, you're going to be needing ACPI - as in, eComStation 2.x

SATA should of course work with Dani's drivers (as you've probably guessed).

As for SCSI, there are quite a few LSI drivers floating around. Ensure you get one with the richest feature support (ie: RAID1). I have some experience with that particular LSI chipset, but I may be glomming together that experience with other LSI Logic based cards/controllers. Regardless, *if* you find that you "cannot operate... disk" when trying to install, constrain the boot partition to 8GB or less, in the beginning of the disk (it's a SCSI limitation in various cards - and OS/2 relies on it's Int13H support for booting). *SOME* such LSI implementations are settable at 1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB, but those are usually only found embedded in certain HP systems, so, you shouldn't hit anything but the 8GB limit (IF you hit one at all).

Well, that's all I've got... let me know if you have any problems.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Most of that (other than looking up your hardware specs) is from memory... I'll doublecheck it when I take a break from work.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

Thanks Robert,

I've got the driver for the LSI 53c1020 that appears to be the last available but I will have to take you up on the offer of the NIC driver - the latest on hobbes gives a list of chips and says NOT to use if the chip not on the list.

The CPUs are standard Xeon 3.2 Ghz single core - 2 per server - so there shouldn't be any problems there.

As I said I have the image of the second CD on the computer just waiting to see if I need to add anything else - yes NIC driver - before I burn it.

Thinking back over all the computers I've owned, the only Intel processor was an 80286 and even that had a Citrix co-processor.  If these can be put with the AMD based servers and forgotten about for months on end then I'll be satisfied.

RobertM

This I am only slightly sure of, but I suspect the NIC driver is in WSeB. It should be e1000 (on the CD/disk) and come up similar to how I named it. I'll make you a copy of the driver and have it ready just in case.

Either way:
If it autodetects and selects that driver, you need to make sure it sees both NICs (assuming 2). Otherwise, add another entry via MPTS. You may (probably) will have to configure the slot id info manuly (you will know if you have to by whether or not the drivers load with an error).

You may need a bus sniffing tool to find out the slot ID of the NICs (unless your BIOS reports that info). I've had success with using one method of identifying the slot (the help instructions indicate one specific way, and other notes indicate the other - not sure which worked, but I think it was using the slot id's in hex such as 0x81 - your value will probably drastically vary from that, as I have 5 different PCI buses in my systems, instead of one). Worst case, once you've got one of the cards working, most of the e1000 drivers will report the slot ID when they "activate" the card - you can use that as a reference on how to manually configure the slot IDs (which you should to do for BOTH cards, not just the card that isn't detected).

And of course, the easiest way to do it is to install WSeB, and if it does not autodetect the card, select the null adapter, which is named " No network adapter" and do your needed bindings (ie: TCP/IP, NetBIOS, etc) to that "network card". Later, you can then easily use MPTS to change from the null adapter to the correct driver.

On some BCM87 cards I had to get running, that's the method I used (well, I've used that method for ages), as it ensures all the networking components get properly installed and creates less hassle trying to install them after the OS install.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Hmmm... you may wish to try the newer drivers on Hobbes located here:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=intel+pro+driver&pushbutton=Search

You'll find four versions there that work with the 8254x chipsets.

The newest I found via Intel's site was much earlier (pretty sure it was v4.09), and that was only 5 years ago - but then again, I was specifically searching for the 82540EM based card's driver, and they simply may not have updated their compatibility database/search tool to indicate that the newer drivers support that chipset as well.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

Just checked the CD - the last set we got from IBM - and the only driver is the e100b so I will grab the e1000 from hobbes and add it.

I've used the nullndis driver several times when we weren't sure what network card we would end up using on a particular machine.  In fact I have the standard image file, for restoring the machines, setup with that and the SNAP drivers so that it will work on any machine here - saved the day many times, like the time every HD in the place wanted to go on holiday one after the other - we went through 30 in one week.

miturbide

Hi

Does anybody know if I can use a video resolution of 1600x900 on eCS 2.1 with SNAP installed on a VirtualBox machine as a guest?
The host is using 1600x900, but I can not set the resolution to 1600x900 on the guest eCS 2.1. SNAP does not show me on the option list.

I had been using also GAMODE without any luck:

[C:\snap]gamode add 1600 900 64
Failed to add mode 1600 x 900 x 64!

Any hint/idea/suggestion will be welcome.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

sXwamp

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.08.02, 01:03:47
Hi

Does anybody know if I can use a video resolution of 1600x900 on eCS 2.1 with SNAP installed on a VirtualBox machine as a guest?
The host is using 1600x900, but I can not set the resolution to 1600x900 on the guest eCS 2.1. SNAP does not show me on the option list.

I had been using also GAMODE without any luck:

[C:\snap]gamode add 1600 900 64
Failed to add mode 1600 x 900 x 64!

Any hint/idea/suggestion will be welcome.

Yes, you can use 1600x900 in vBox see below:

VirtualBox 4.08 and eComStation 2.1

http://www.os2notes.com/os2virtualbox.html

Greggory

miturbide

Thanks for the info Greggory.

Just one question I have Virtuabox guest add-ons installed.

After running on the host "VBoxManage setextradata "eComStation 2.1" CustomVideo1 "1600x900x32" " should the resolution appears on the System Setup Screen? cause I still don't see that option.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

sXwamp

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.08.02, 17:15:05
Thanks for the info Greggory.

Just one question I have Virtuabox guest add-ons installed.

After running on the host "VBoxManage setextradata "eComStation 2.1" CustomVideo1 "1600x900x32" " should the resolution appears on the System Setup Screen? cause I still don't see that option.

Yes, it should show up:

1) Don't use SNAP or Panorama
2) Make sure that vBox is completely shut down when you execute the "VBoxManage setextradata "eComStation 2.1" CustomVideo1 "1600x900x32" command.
3) NOTE: change "eComStation 2.1" to whatever you named the VM.

Greggory

miturbide

Quote from: sXwamp on 2011.08.02, 18:36:54

Do you mean to reset the driver to VGA? or anything else?  I had tried it without any results yet.
By the way my virtualmachine is also called "eComStation 2.1" ;)
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

sXwamp

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.08.02, 23:48:06
Quote from: sXwamp on 2011.08.02, 18:36:54

Do you mean to reset the driver to VGA? or anything else?  I had tried it without any results yet.
By the way my virtualmachine is also called "eComStation 2.1" ;)

I followed the exact instructions from the readme for the installation of the extensions. I believe
just reset it to GRADD -- I tried SNAP & Panorama just to test and had problems.

What version of vBox are you using ???

miturbide

I'm using VirtualBox 4.1 running on Win7 64bits host.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

sXwamp

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.08.03, 05:30:41
I'm using VirtualBox 4.1 running on Win7 64bits host.

I just upgraded vBox to 4.1 and I'm running Win 7 Ultimate, 32-bit to test this out.

Still works for me at 1600x900x32.

It took me a long time to finish that article and it pissed me for a while until I got
it finished. I double checked the instructions and tried out to many different
configurations. So, all I can say is that it's working here - sorry I can't be more helpful.

Greggory

miturbide

Hi Greggory.

Sorry but I can also find out what I'm doing wrong on my side. I also had reinstalled the "Guest Additions" and replaced the gengradd.dlla and I can not make the 1600x900x32 resolution to appear as a screen resolution option.

But believe me Greggory, I really appreciate your help and online tutorial. 

Just one last question. What did you put as Video Device when you installed the Virtual Machine? I will try a new fresh install in other virtual machine.

Thanks.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide