• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS\2 Warp need to reboot if network connection drops (PWMON utility)

Started by runnindave, 2007.08.27, 23:26:00

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hey Dave,

Glad it works... let me know if you need any additional functionality... also, don't forget to check your message box on the forums here for some more info that I need to help you prevent the need for the app...

And yes, most of it is written in REXX, with some OS/2 CmdLine calls, and calls to OS/2's REXXUTIL.DLL and two calls to Igor Pool's RexxWeb DLL [I didnt have the time to re-write the TCP/IP portion (though REXX does support it out of the box) from scratch, and couldnt find my old code, so Igor's work helped simplify that greatly].

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

runnindave

Thanks I will,

I just figured out what you meant by my message box. I just saw that. I will check it out.

Its good to know there is a community of folks out there that still run this OS.

I can now sleep at night. LOL.

dave

RobertM

Hey Dave,

You might not be out of the woods yet... so let me know if the script successfully reboots your machine once the TCP/IP stack locks...

When the stack is running and there is no route, it will successfully reboot your machine... if the stack locks, I dont know (and cant test it since I cant get my TCPIP stack to lock) - but it is possible the app will wait for a timeout it never receives because of the locked stack condition.

So, let me know...

-Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

runnindave

Well I have tested this on a single machine about three times.

I have an idea what you are talking about. It works however.

What it does is when I pull the NIC cable out it freezes for about 3 - 5 minutes then the reboot dialog comes up and it reboots. Thought that is what it was supposed to do.

If you think this might be a problem, I of course would be happy to test.

BTW, you should post this on the various utility sites out there, as I am sure this would be very useful to someone.

Dave

RobertM

Hi Dave,

That is exactly what it is supposed to do... it's waiting for a TCP/IP timeout (which isnt configurable in the TCP/IP routines... if I re-write them myself, I'll make them configurable). While waiting for the timeout it "hangs" the interface waiting on a return code... since I am not sure the exact amount of time of the timeout I didnt bother starting the getHTTP request in another thread... if I get bored one day, I may (that way I can have the interface indicate it is waiting for a timeout or response).

The problem that may still arise though, can't be simulated by unplugging the machine... hopefully though, the app will work in your situation... leave one of the machines up and let me know how it goes. If the TCP/IP stack actually hangs, it may never send the timeout (or the getHTTP request may hang waiting for a socket) - in which case the machine may not reboot. (get me a copy of your POPUPLOG.OS2 file so I can see what type of hang we are dealing with)...

If that happens, let me know... then I will rewrite it so that the getHTTP request is in a separate thread or process, and failing a response from that thread/process, initiate a reboot (this method should work no matter what TCP/IP failure there is - but will take a little more work to program).

Once the thing is fully usable (in multiple ways, such as test via ping, test via ftp, and has a full GUI interface, separate threads/processes for the connection test, alias failover support, and reporting to/from another machine support) I'll post it someplace (probably one of my sites or Hobbes).

-Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

runnindave

Hey,

I have been testing and this thing is solid. It works great. So I thought I would show it to my Boss and she shot some holes into it.

What she wanted to see, is the possiblity of being able to execute the reboot app not all the time but only after hours. Sort of like a scheduled task in Windows. But here is where it gets worse, she wants to know if it can execute at a specific time, like 1 am, for 30 minutes, then turn off. Her argument is that these boxes dont need to be rebooted during the day.

I was not sure if Warp had the ability to execute scheduled tasks. Do you have an idea how to do this in Warp? I was wondering if a tweak might be possible to the app. I dont want to impose on your time and if you dont want to then I would understand.

Any input would be appreciated.

Dave

RobertM

Pretty easy if I am understanding you correctly...

You simply want an app where you can tell it "Reboot every day at 01:00" or do you want an app that at 1AM checks for network connectivity for 30 minutes and reboots if needed? Either is doable... just let me know...

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

runnindave

Hey Robert,

Can this app do brain surgery, because thats what I am going to need. LOL.

So I dont waste your extremely valuable time, I want to test the existing app with the production machines and we can see if this makes her happy.

She loves the green color BTW!  :D