• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Microsoft buys the Swedish vote on OOXML

Started by melf, 2007.08.28, 16:21:30

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/14868/79/
QuotePosted by Kim Haverblad - Monday, 27 August 2007

As bad as it. .. .

I agree that is upsetting! What sort of institution is SIS, if its possible to just walk in and vote. Crazy! Is that how it works in other countries also?
/Mikael

IBManners

Hi Mikael

"Is that how it works in other countries also?"

Seems so, India is so far the only one to vote a solid NO.
Australia's also basically voted yes as well :-(

And Kim, this is OS/2 related, it will affect EVERY non Microsoft operating system.
I am the computer, it is me.

kim

Seems that quite a few countries has been quite a circus and among other an article at Groklaw has some interesting reading about Germany.

I fully agree that it's of interest for OS2 users; just that when we posted last time about OOXML I got couple of e-mails where they thought that it was off topic.

I really hope that other countries that haven't voted takes interest of what has happened lately in German and now Sweden. I think that way that SIS has managed this question is totally absurd - but then again what can they do now - SIS where fast enough to send out a press release the same evening that Sweden would vote yes. SIS won't admit to that they have done anything wrong and have already today been forced to say in media that they have followed the protocol.

But what is really interesting about SIS own argument that everything has been done by the book; then my question to Olle Axenborg (Press Manager) at SIS really simple - Why do we need SIS and what good arethey if it's all about gathering the votes when the final vote take place? Why spend 3 month on preparing material for the final vote when this isn't used after all?

jep

Is it possible to claim that these new "members" of SIS aren't allowed to enter the Voting process as they're to new...that is' there should be some processing time before they're accepted, and If they entered with such notice. What does the Swedish SIS rules say, accept new members every third month, other members should have no objections to the new members etc.?

If so then you may have something to change the vote from Sweden

mvh
//Jan-Erik

kim

According to what SIS has said so far is that there hasn't been anything that violated their rules and they even says that this kind of activity is rather normal for the ISO work!? I in my simple mind thought that SIS formed a group and then froze it and that this group worked out some kind of recommendation. What they now being saying the press in Sweden is that there has been nothing wrong about the vote. So my simple question is then ; why do we need SIS? If it's all about rounding up the votes and why even then spend 3 month on discussing this topic with the OOXML group if who ever can enter the vote 10 minutes before?

kim

According to Norwegian media it looks like that Microsoft has organized their activities as well in Norway to promote their agenda among customers and partners. For more information and sadly in Norwegian Digi.no has more about this topic.

unclepaul

kim

Well, I didn't hear anything about IBM bring along a bunch of Gold Partners to the SIS meeting and as well Microsoft is the one who got caught with sending out e-mails to put pressure on them to vote and how to vote.

And now suddenly SIS has comed to the decision to declare the vote as invalid due to that one company voted two times?! I mean did it take them couple of days to figure that one out?

The story is here: The Swedish OOXML vote as been declared invalid!