• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Boot Manager & 1 T.B. Sata Drives

Started by klipp, 2011.08.14, 06:56:56

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

I'm finally back ivan, My CDRom is plugged into SATA2 its a [TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH]  --   (Samsung SH-S223C/MIDF SATA DVD Writer)!
The only options are PIO MODE: AUTO,0,1,2,3,4
                                DMA MODE: AUTO,SWDMA0,1,2 MWDMA0,1,2 and UDMA0,1,2,3,4,5
They are both set to AUTO
I tried changing them to PIO = 4 and DMA =MWDMA2 --- it says ultra DMA is not supported
This didn't change things it still hangs.
The On-Board LAN works fine as installed by eCS 2.1

I've noticed another problem that might be revelent, After installing and having all the problems, I plugged in an IDE 30gb hard drive and tried to make booting possible from the IDE drive. Windoz & Linux can see this additional drive but eCS can't. I wonder if I need an additional driver (BASEDEV ?) installed in my Config.sys? I guess I'll compare drivers with other boxes with only IDE drives installed.

Thanks,  klipp
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx

ivan

Hi Klipp,

CD and DVDs should be plugged into SATA5 or SATA6 (ch3-12).  If you have it plugged into a socket that is expecting a drive then that is the reason you have no problem with a CD in the drive but a problem without the CD.

ivan

klipp

I have it plugged like you described now, ivan --- "but still no cigar!" It still Hangs during boot unless the boot CD is in the DVD Drive. I'll do some more "digging" today and will let you know if I make any progress.

thanks, klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

klipp

A little more info on this topic! Turns out you don't need specifically the ECS boot disk in the DVD for eCS to boot, any CD or DVD in the drive will allow eCS to continue booting!

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

ivan

OK, did you set it as CDROM as per page 3-12?  If you don't set it as a CDROM then bios thinks it is a hard drive and tries to read it, if it finds nothing it hangs.

ivan

klipp

Yes ivan, I set it just like you said (see the post above), but that changed nothing! The CDROM works fine with either of the settings, it works for install of windows, linux, & eCS! Its just that after eCS is installed it will no longer boot up without a CD or DVD sitting in the DVD. Windows & Linux boot fine with an empty DVD, but if you boot eCS it will "hang" unless there is a CD or DVD in the DVD.

Thanks  klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

ivan

Hi Klipp,

What do you have in SATA Configuration for ports 5 & 6?  On mine they are set to IDE.

I have to admit I'm just clutching at straws now.  My board isn't that much different to yours yet I have no problems with either the DVD RW or the DVD ROM.

I have DANIS506 version 1.8.5 and DANIATAPI version 0.4.0 for what it's worth.

Being past one in the morning, I'll sleep on it and see if I can think of anything else.

ivan

klipp

Hi ivan, mine also are set to IDE, the speed is set to auto. The H.D. is on SATA1 and the DVD is on SATA5
On SATA5 the type is CDROM with PIO Mode set to 4 and DMA MODE set to MWDMA2

Hope you got some sleep

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

ivan

Hi Klipp,

The only other thing that comes to mind,  is there anything in the config.sys that refers to that drive?  Specifically looking at what is in the danis506 line and the daniatapi line.  I was reminded today that many years ago we had cause to add a drive to a system and because certain drive letters were mentioned on the both dani* lines we got a hang at boot fot no apparent reason.

Again this is just clutching at straws because logically there is no reason it shouldn't boot correctly.

ivan 

klipp

Hey ivan, DANIS506.add has !BIOS parameter, I tried removing it and it also made no difference. Guess for now its not all that important, I can get by with leaving a CD in the drive.  Thanks for all you're efforts, sooner or later someone will stumble across a solution!

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx