• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Downloading youTube videos from within OS/2 with youtube-dl Python script.

Started by El Vato, 2007.09.11, 19:48:28

Previous topic - Next topic

El Vato

Possibly this post is redundant and is more applicable to younger generations of OS/2ers, small as those may be, like Saijin_Naib whom I owe a thank you for his kind words*. 

Ok, once upon a time, under Debian Linux dselect utility, I came across a small utility called youtube-dl.  Acdording to the description in dselect, youtube-dl will download videos from youTube.  Interesting, I thought and installed it in my updated system.

Being an funless geek, I did not realize that some software was being sold specifically to that end. Hence for $19.00 dollars some people trick Windows and Mac users into buying something that is made available free from an certain developer.  I came to his site by accident, searching for an youtube downloading utility for a Mac user.  http://www.arrakis.es/~rggi3/youtube-dl/ contains a Python script written by Ricardo Garcia Gonzales to download those videos from youTube.  It is the same as the youtube-dl that is made available by Debian's  dselect utility (I verified the fact by openning the file in my Elvis text editor).

The utility being a Python script, I thought, why would not it execute under OS/2???  Well for someone like myself who uses the Unix/Linux environment on the EMX enabler on a frequent basis, this simply required some playing along noting the idiosyncracies of OS/2 and Python scripts.
For those who are missing on the Unix/Linux integration capabilities enabled by the EMX on OS/2, and who think it worth the effort to be able to download videos from youTube without web site intermediaries, this is for you.  I made a somewhat lenthy entry last night (while waiting for a long job to finish on other hardware, thus excuse my typos).  As before it is at http://www.metztli-it.com/blog and is well illustrated for the novice.

*(I am sorry for not replying to your remark Saijin_Naib, however as one gets older it becomes, paradoxically, more difficult to accept a compliment to one's work).

RobertM

El Vato,

Very nice work - and thanks from everyone!

For those who would prefer a web enabler, check out the UnPlug or MediaPlayerConnectivity plugins... though, personally, I think you may find youtube-dl a far nicer option as you aren't wasting browser resources.

Also, with a little work, I am sure someone can modify the chrome on Mozilla to allow a right-click on a YouTube link that automatically sends it to youtube-dl without opening the YouTube page... any takers?

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

No problem El Vato. You just struck me as being a great writer. Also, it appears you are also a crazy programmer. O_o
Is programming your profession, if you do not mind me asking?
Also, using EMX, would any pyton based application run? Like, for example, my windows BitTorrent Client, Another Bittorrent Client. Its based on python.
As to downloading youtube videos, I hope that somehow, some day, Flash8/9 will be ported to eCS as a firefox plugin to replace the 7beta or 5 final we have currently. Gnash is great for .swf files you can download, but for integrated things, like www.slacker.com, browser computability is a must.

El Vato

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.09.16, 08:18:10
[...]
Also, using EMX, would any pyton based application run? Like, for example, my windows BitTorrent Client, Another Bittorrent Client. Its based on python.
I have an idea, install the EMX runtime and try your Python script(s) ...that is the only way to find out.

You will learn in your college classes, especially in the area of mathematics --whose notions are "corrupted" by physics-- that individual experiment (against the dogma of the currently entrenched status quo) sometimes breaks new ground --both in applications and in the "uncorrupted" theoretical field.

You may want to share your experiences by posting the results for all of us to see --and potentially to receive feedback.

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.09.16, 08:18:10
As to downloading youtube videos, I hope that somehow, some day, Flash8/9 will be ported to eCS [...]
You could be the one to achieve the deed with persistence.  You may dedicate the next summer to an "OS/2 summer of code."  ;) !

ModZilla

deal withit El Vato guy...you'll receive alot more compliments, via KUDOS, the older and wiser you become, we get tired but trudge on, the other day I was reading one of your way out posts and I had no clue what you were referring to, this sometimes happens to me with other posters like your own; I re read it and it suddenly became completly clear to me -after a little research online. Funny how this stuff grows on apprentices [young and olde] and vets alike. TIA/Mucho thx

MZ 
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

RobertM

For those of you who are struggling along with the lack of support for UnPlug in Firefox v3 and up, it seems the "Video Download Helper" plugin posted by CDRWSel does indeed work with FF3!!!

Thanks CDR!!!

Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

El Vato

Quote from: ModZilla on 2008.08.09, 16:57:28
[...] it suddenly became completly clear to me -after a little research online. Funny how this stuff grows on apprentices [young and olde] and vets alike. TIA/Mucho thx

MZ 
I am glad that you are also adventurous enough to drive standard --the Unix way,  ModZilla. I hope that you found it as satisfying and fun shifting gears (commands) as you achieved your objective, as it was for me. 

A word of caution, though.  Google continually changes the youTube video access configurations.  Accordingly, if one day you find out that your youtube-dl does not work, go and visit the Spanish guy who makes available the script and download it once again; modify it and subsequently overwrite your previously good one.  Ricardo keeps up with the curves that Google throws and adjusts his Python script speed accordingly.

By the way, those changes also affect any other download mechanism used by other utilities that perform a similar function --like that recommended by CDRWsel.  The difference being in the approach: standard a la masochist way; or automatic, i.e., chewing gum and driving (firefox etc.)  :D

RobertM

Here's something really neat about either method... both could (or do) support file conversion via ffMPEG.

Though of course, since most OS/2 users who watch videos are already using something based off ffMPEG, it probably isnt necessary (except for conversion to a format that is more friendly for other operating systems).

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|