• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How to build a from USB Drive bootable Warp 4 DVD with OS2AHCI and more...

Started by Sigurd, 2011.10.25, 09:21:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurd

Hi,

I just finished a new updated OS/2 Warp 4 Merlin 4.52 DVD and want to give those interested in some tipps, who are using UPDCD as well:

HIGHLIGHTS:

- OS/2 Warp 4.52 Merlin convinience package 2 (MCP 4.52) with Fixpac 5
- OS/2 AHCI driver integrated in installation and boot process
- Installation possible using USB CD/DVD Drive without any manual changes
- latest Network drivers from Mensys (Intel, Nvidia, Realtek) integrated with MPTS
- UDF (DVD) Filesystem Version 2.16 integrated
- SMP support availiable as Addon on DVD
- HPFS386 support availiable as Addon on DVD (JFS Support included in MCP already)
- JAVA 6 on DVD (Directory: DVD\JAVA)
- Firefox and Thunderbird 6.02 on DVD: DVD\INTERNET\
  BROWSER
- Kernelrevision suppressed
- ACPI Testversions in: DVD\TREIBER\ACPI

Hereby I describe the hints how to add files and drivers to the bootprocess and config.sys and how to make the DVD bootable from USB Drives:

-> A.) How to add files to the bootprocess for new OS/2 CDs/DVD with UPDCD?
-> B.) How to edit config.sys that should be used by the DVD later for booting?

CAUTION: If you want to do this you will have to use method B. first, than A.!

-> C.) What does the config.sys should look like to make the updated OS/2 CD/DVD to boot
      from an USB CD/DVD device?

==============================================================================

Zu A.:

(Original found -> UPDCD FAQ, Question and answer 37):

Q37: I don't like the Internal Revision Number displayed during booting. Is it possible to
   supress it?
   A37: Of course. Go to the burn\os2image\disk_0 directory before burning. Create a file os2norev.$$$
   in that directory. Issue the following command (replace e:\updcd with your UpdCD installation
   directory):

e:\updcd\bin\pack2 os2norev.$$$ bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\os2norev.$$$ /A

-> Thats the way for all the other files you might want to use!

i.e. you want to add the OS2AHCI driver with your updated Warp 4 CD even for the first boot:
copy the OS2AHCI diver to \burn\os2image\disk_0 , than type in a command window from that directory

e:\updcd\bin\pack2 os2ahci.add bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\os2ahci.add /A

(please substitute e: with the driver where UPDCD is installed to)

CAUTION: This has to be done BEFORE the updated files will be burned but AFTER they are already
"mixed" (build) with UPDCD.

How to add this driver now to config.sys? - see B. !

Zu B.)

I found the answer at the UPDCD Yahoogroup, dated 3. March 2008:

This has to be done BEFORE you "Build" the CD/DVD!

- goto the directory \UPDCD\LIB
- open the file "updif.rlb"
- find the line cfile = img_dir'\tmp\config.sys'
- add a new line under this one with 'pause' (inklusive Apostrophe!)
- save file and exit

while building the script pauses after a short time while peparing the boot disk_0.
Now goto \updcd\burn\bootimg (*) and open the config.sys with an editor, in case you want to add
the OS2AHCI driver vor Warp 4 you add a line:

basedev=os2ahci.add

Feel free to add what you like (and want to add then as a file with method A.)
Save config.sys and exit the editor, change to the UPDCD window (blue) and press Enter to continue
the build process.

(*) HINT: Zsolt Kaddars refers to the config.sys in UPDCD\BURN\TMP but I had no directory like this
and it did work the way I wrote here

Zu C.)

I found hints at os4you.org, at the USB-BOOT Wiki (Thanks to Rainer D. Stroebel) and
Daniela Engert, she gave the right hint at Warpstock 2008 that than has been adopted by Mensys for
eCS 2 RC6a.

It is as easy as this: the USB Drivers must be loaded BEFORE the DANIS driver in config.sys, it is a good
idea to add the /I13 switch , as well in case you use the OS2AHCI driver it is necessary to add the OS2AHCI
driver after USB.

My customized (and working :-) ) config.sys (see B.) looks like:

basedev=usbuhcd.sys
basedev=usbohcd.sys
basedev=usbehcd.sys
basedev=usbd.sys /I13
basedev=usbhid.sys
basedev=usbmsd.add /Removables:3 /Floppies:1
basedev=usbcdrom.add
basedev=ibmkbd.sys
basedev=ibm1flpy.add
basedev=ibm1s506.add
basedev=ibm2flpy.add
basedev=ibm2scsi.add
basedev=ipsraid.add
basedev=ibmint13.i13
basedev=os2dasd.dmd
basedev=up2tb.flt
basedev=os2lvm.dmd
device=\testcfg.sys
basedev=os2ahci.add

That's all!

Now I can boot this OS/2 Warp 4 DVD with almost every Hardware I have, especially on Notebooks and Tablett PC that do not come with an internal optical drive.

Please note:

I do not want to compete with Mensys or something like this, I just experiment as an hobby with this - and want to keep the "Original" IBM OS/2 Warp 4 alive as long as possible.

Cheers

Sigurd

miturbide

Excellent experiment Sigurd.

I will like to do the same thing, but I need to get time to do it.  It is good to see that UpdCD works fine.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Blonde Guy

That's a nice method. I always booted the eCS CD with the USB connected DVD drive, then eject it and put in MCP or any other CD and use that. I'd like to see something like that adapted to the bootAble program so we could more easily make our own universal bootable disks.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

DougB

QuoteI'd like to see something like that adapted to the bootAble program so we could more easily make our own universal bootable disks

What does bootAble need? It should supply all of the facilities that the eCS boot CD supplies, plus a few other things like network support. The "problem" with bootAble is that you require a working system so that it can create a bootAble system based on that. It is not designed to be a "universal, boot anywhere" system. It is customized to the system that it builds on. However, with a bit of work (editing the config file), you could create something very similar to the eCS boot CD, but why bother when it has already been done. Just use the eCS boot CD, as you describe.

Blonde Guy

bootAble is a fine product, and I really thank the authors for a job well done. To make some more universal boot, there would need to be some kind of preboot work (bootAble already allows the preboot menu) to select the best set of drivers, then boot with them. It's more than I could figure out.

The eCS boot CD does seem to work in a large number of cases.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

DougB

QuotebootAble is a fine product, and I really thank the authors for a job well done.

The job is not "done". BootAble is a work in progress. Unfortunately, Hayo Baan (the original author, and main programmer) no longer actually uses eCS, so he only does work "on request", using eCS in a virtual machine. He seems to be quite happy to help, but he cannot actually do most of the heavy digging to determine what is needed to make something work. He has, of course, donated his work, because the "source" is in the distribution, but he enjoys the opportunity to "clean up" donated work.

QuoteTo make some more universal boot, there would need to be some kind of preboot work

True, if bootAble was designed to be more "universal". It is designed to be specific to an individual machine. The eCS boot CD is almost the same idea, but it is designed to be "universal". Unfortunately, "universal" keeps changing, so they do have problems keeping up.

With a bit of work, you could copy the eCS boot CD to a folder, remove the eCS install stuff, and add your own. A change to the STARTUP.CMD should be sufficient to change the operation, after it gets booted to eCS. Then burn the new setup to a CD. I haven't done a lot of research about that, but it should be relatively simple. You could also leave the eCS installer stuff, and add your own software, then burn it to a DVD (so there would be room). Some sort of selection in STARTUP.CMD would be able to switch to any package that you have installed to the DVD. It could be an interesting project.

The eCS installer approach basically runs a simple program to detect what devices to select, then gives the user the opportunity to change some of the selections. That ends up changing the CONFIG.SYS (and probably the INI files) to build the desired system. BootAble selects the CONFIG.SYS entries, and INI entries, that already exist, and builds a system to match. The two approaches are very similar, but not compatible. However, bootAble can be manually defined, and with some careful selections, it can be made pretty generic, and it will run on a lot of machines (possibly with a couple of boot errors, which can normally be bypassed). Just make your selections as generic as possible, and you should be able to make it work.