• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Qt version 4.7.3

Started by miturbide, 2011.09.18, 06:48:58

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

Thanks everyone.

The fact Pete said he could see JPG listed started me looking at the differences between the old and new Qt4.

The old didn't have the path in Path and Libpath but had it listed in qtsys.conf in MPTN\etc.
The new has the path listed in Path and Libpath and there was nothing but two dots for the path in the qt.conf in the qt4 dir.

As an experiment I removed one of the dots in path line of qt.conf and now SIR 2.1.1 has started to work again.

I don't know enough about how linux likes the conf files or even what should be in them - I suppose I'll have to try and find out ;)

Thanks for the offer Tellie but I do have one question.  Do you think it would be possible for someone whose last programming was in assembler some 30 odd years ago to port the latest version of Sigil -0.4.3 to OS/2 and if so what would I need?

As I said rudi it was an extra dot in the path statement in the conf file for the new Qt4 version, a conf file I took as being correct but it wasn't for our situation.

So again thanks to all - I can have some sleep tonight and not have any grumbles from anyone in the morning about 'having to do things the hard way'.

rudi

Quote from: ivan on 2011.10.12, 23:38:50
The old didn't have the path in Path and Libpath but had it listed in qtsys.conf in MPTN\etc.

%ETC%/qtsys.conf is no longer used. It was an OS/2 specific invention that - AFAIK - is valid only in 4.6.x version. Here is, how it works now:

The file qt.conf is searched in the specified order in following locations:

1.) in the (Qt-) resource data of the executable
2.) in the current directory
3.) in the directory where QtCore4.dll was loaded from

Then the "prefix" value from qt.conf is appended to the directory where qt.conf was found. This becomes the base directory for all the other stuff like "plugins", "translations", "imports", etc. Note that the names for these subdirs can be overridden - even with absolute paths - in qt.conf as well.

In case no qt.conf could be found, the directory where QtCore4.dll was loaded from will become the base and the subdirs will be assumed to use their default names.

The standard setup uses a directory structure like this:

%QTDIR%/bin
%QTDIR%/plugins
%QTDIR%/plugins/imageformats
%QTDIR%/translations

The Qt DLLs reside in %QTDIR%/bin. Thus qt.conf located in the same directory and found by rule 3.) must contain ".." as prefix value.

Quote from: ivan on 2011.10.12, 23:38:50
As I said rudi it was an extra dot in the path statement in the conf file for the new Qt4 version, a conf file I took as being correct but it wasn't for our situation.

So I assume you have changed the directory structure without knowing the implications. This is exactly the type of problems that this new RPM/YUM/FHS stuff is supposed to avoid. Not sure if it does...

ivan

Hi rudi,

Thanks for that explanation, it should be in the readme.

Our setup puts the Qt4 dir in OS/2\apps and we have the qt.conf in OS/2\apps\qt4.  The directory structure is as you list.

If I am understanding correctly what you have written then, in fact, there is no real reason to have the Qt4 dir listed in Path and Libpath at all.

No comment on the RPM/YUM, we had that in another thread.

ivan