• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Qt version 4.7.3

Started by miturbide, 2011.09.18, 06:48:58

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/21096/2/

I tried to install QT 4.7.3 with RPM.

- Removed the old QT with WarpIn
- Installed rpm-yum-bootstrap-1_3.wpi and the FHS structure was created in C:\.
- run on the command prompt "yum install libqt4". The instructions says it is not necessary, but I wanted to try how to install the libraries with RPM. I don't know if there is already an QT4 app on the rpm server to test how will install automatically QT4.

It seems to download fine the packaged but it get an error when installing it.

I was unable to find warpin-conflicts.exe file on the hard drive.

Any idea what is the reason for this error? was is something wrong uninstalling the old QT? or is some other procedure missing with RPM?
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

diver

It Seems your rpm is too old . after installing the bootstrap do a Yum update. this should update rpm And also installing the missing exe

miturbide

Hi

I had run "yum update".
It had downloaded something and process ok.

But after that I run "yum install libqt4" and I get the same error.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

diver

Try "yum install rpm" it help for others

miturbide

it worked that way. Thanks.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

Barbara

Needs also coreutils, failure.
Any suggestion?
Thanks.

ivan

Using the zip version, or should I sat trying to use the zip version, on our test machine.  Followed the instructions in the install.os2 file - directory of choice = e:\os2\apps\qt4.

Tried to run some of the 18 test applications we use, some give a little disk activity and that's it.

some give an error message as follows:
09-18-2011  16:45:05  SYS2070  PID 00f6  TID 0001  Slot 00b1
G:\QT4-APPS\SIGIL\SIGIL.EXE
QSVGIE4->QTCORE4.__ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii

The only difference between the applications is the second line - the name of the application.

To test that there wasn't something wrong with the applications I deleted the e:\os2\apps\qt4 directory and copied over the 4.6.3 version from backup - all applications work as they should.

Now what???

ivan

Tellie

hihi,

Thats when you have a version mismatch, due you had a older dll somewhere in path.
If you have qt 4.7.3, then you have to be sure there is no 4.6.3 dll in path or whatever, cause then you get that error.

ivan

Thanks Tellie, found qthelp4.dll in os2\dll - why it was there is a good question that I will try and find the answer to tomorrow because we used warpin to install 4.6.3 and I used warpin to uninstall it.

ivan

CDRWSel

Hello,

Where is the QT 4.7.3 WPI package ?  (one click to install)
RPM/YUM not working, not wanted not enough space on my SSD disk etc...
I already have previous QT installed through WPI and WPI is needed to maintain WPI db.   

ZIP package will not update current installed WPI packages and is not good in this case.

:-\

StefanZ

I would also appreciate WPI version....

DougB

I think they are not planning to supply a WPI version. There is a ZIP version, and the instructions are pretty simple (I haven't tried installing it yet). Basically, it says: completely uninstall what you have, unzip to some place on a drive, then add a couple of paths to your CONFIG.SYS. The whole directory structure has changed, again, so you would need to uninstall what you already have before installing the new one anyway.

It does mean that you need to manage it yourself, but that seems to be the goal of the RPM/YUM project. A second goal seems to be to fill up your hard disk (preferably on the boot drive) with useless junk. Somebody must own shares in a disk company.

In fact, it should be quite easy to build a WPI installer, but I haven't tried that either. It should be easier than trying to figure out RPM/YUM, especially if you already have some *NIX type programs installed, since they will have to be changed to work with the RPM/YUM stuff. When I tried RPM/YUM, SAMBA quit working because UNIXROOT got changed.

Pete

Hi All

With regards to the qt473 zip file: Am I the only person who thinks that the root directory for this software should be simply qt4 rather than qt4-4.7.3-1?

With the root directory as qt4 there would be no need to change the config.sys Path and Libpath to install a new version and no need to reboot afterwards to activate those changes: simply delete existing qt4 directory and then unzip the new build in the same location and you are ready to go.

I did create a Ticket about this in the qt4 bugtracker a couple of days ago but it looks like the ticket has been removed as I cannot find it listed in the current ticket list.

Maybe it is all a plot to make us use yum/rpm...

Regards

Pete

DougB

Many packages add the version number to the base folder name. Personally, i always remove that so that it is easier to replace it when the time comes.

Complaining about the way that a developer packages their work, is likely a waste of time. After all, as noted in the RPM/YUM thread, "the developer knows best" (yeah, right). Just fix it, and get on with life.

QuoteWith the root directory as qt4 there would be no need to change the config.sys Path and Libpath to install a new version and no need to reboot afterwards to activate those changes: simply delete existing qt4 directory and then unzip the new build in the same location and you are ready to go.

Unfortunately, that is probably not the case. A package like QT4 contains a lot of DLLs, some of which get loaded at boot time, and they stay there until the system is shut down. If you don't reboot, you will likely end up with a mix of old and new, until you do reboot. That could cause problems, and will probably end up forcing you to do a non planned reboot. It also appears that the new package has a different directory structure (again), so it may still require modifications to CONFIG.SYS, and a reboot, to make it work. That is just plain old fashioned poor programming, but it is what we get.

Pete

Hi Doug

No, qt4 dlls do not get loaded at boot - unless you have something in your startup folder that needs them.

If all the fgiles supplied in a later qt4 package are within the root directory for that package it does not matter if the directory structure within the package changes - unless some or all of the dll files get moved from the bin subdirectory.

Regards

Pete