• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

HLT driver

Started by abwillis, 2011.09.19, 01:42:52

Previous topic - Next topic

abwillis

Came in and found that 3 1/2 hours after I had left it had hung again.

herwigb

Found that running the .exe (does not matter which one) massively interferes with USB communication to my scanner....
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

abwillis

I have seen the same thing, I think, when copying large amounts of data to a USB drive. 

abwillis

I uploaded a new version... it still hangs my T410 but it went 12 hrs before it did (not had a chance to test it much more than that).  There is a slight chance it may help with the USB issue (not a strong one but possible).  The change this time is to idlehlt.sys.

miturbide

Hi

I want to test out this driver on a Thinkpad R51 and other machine, but I have problems with the Reactor Widget. It doesn't show a real temperature. I had read the readme file, but I do know what I'm missing to make the widget work.

Any tip, pointer, link will be appreciated.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

DougB

QuoteI have problems with the Reactor Widget. It doesn't show a real temperature

The Reactor widget requires support from ACPI. ACPI is far from complete on many machines, and one of the more common deficiencies is that the Reactor widget can't get the temperature.

I assume that you have ACPI running, so you should be able to use the Thermal.exe program to see if it works, or not.

QuoteI uploaded a new version

I ran it for a couple of hours, with no hang, but it was very slow, and jerky, when I tried idlehlt-th.exe. It was also running all four processors at 99%. idlehlt-af.exe works much better (so far), and the processors are staying at about 5% usage. Since this machine doesn't work with the Reactor widget, it is difficult to tell, for sure, that it runs cooler, but my impression is that it does.

DougB

I had another hang. It seems that if I start Pronews/2, then tell it to refresh all of the news groups, it just barely gets started, and hangs. This seems to be consistent (as in every time). After restarting, the news groups are messed up. I didn't try to figure out why, I just restored the whole Pronews directory from my backup. Another thing that happened, was that my router appeared to be hung after reboot. I tried it with another system, and it wouldn't work with the router either. All was well after rebooting the router.

This seems to indicate that the problem may lie in the TCP/IP area, but others are seeing problems with USB. That puts the problem into the I/O area somewhere. Is there, perhaps, a "back door" that I/O can use, that HLT is not aware of?

abwillis

There is a possibility of something IO related being an issue...  that being said the work of the hlt driver is:
asm{
hlt}
or the latest I did:
asm{
hlt
sti}
the sti to explicitly turn on IRQs in case the USB and hangs were related to IRQs somehow being disabled by the HLT.  The ones that had the really bad slowdowns had several hlt calls instead of just one. 
I don't have Pronews/2 on the T410, I do on this machine and have no problems with it but then it doesn't hang anyhow... I'll see if I can get time to put Pronews/2 on the T410.

DougB

Quoteasm{
hlt}
or the latest I did:
asm{
hlt
sti}

Hmmm. I am not really a programmer, but I do know how computers work. It seems to me that enabling interrupts AFTER you halt the machine, is really not going to help, since the STI would not be executed until after the HLT is ended. If interrupts are, somehow, disabled, the HLT would never end (which seems to be what we are seeing), so the STI would never execute. Then, there is the problem where enabling interrupts might mess up whatever disabled them. Is there some way to determine if interrupts are disabled, and if so, don't use HLT?

abwillis

If it doesn't help the USB then the STI should definitely be removed and might ought to be removed anyhow in case something else is needing to call a CLI (stops interrupts).  I don't think being after the HLT though is an issue because the HLT lasts about 1ms from what I can tell, that is why I am having to put the tight loop calling the thing so often causing the CPU meter to read 100%.  Even putting a DosSleep(1) which stops the CPU meter from being pegged stops any effectiveness from calling the HLT.  My guess is that it is not an IRQ issue causing the hang or I think the STI would have been able to prevent it.