• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

good icq/aim/yahoo chat client?

Started by os2monkey, 2007.09.22, 09:48:15

Previous topic - Next topic

os2monkey

Hi, I have been looking for a good os/2 all in one chat client for icq/aim & yahoo at least. I haven't found any native programs, only a few java based apps like jeti/2.
Do you know of any native programs?
How do you install a java program? I downloaded jeti2-inst.jar and double clicked on it, and it just tries to open it into a text editor. I also ran from command prompt "java jeti2-inst.jar" but it just gave some error about not being able to find classes.
I'm running ECS 1.2R, and it seems to have java 1 and 2 installed.

Thanks,
David

ehtron

Hi/2

you can look on my tipps and tricks to configure your java system. eventually use babelfish.

the call for a java executable is -jar   
this from my page:

Installation run automatically using the Java Installer.
Download available from this page and "Open with" Java, or execute with doubleclick the jeti2-inst.jar -file or type the command javaw -jar jeti2-inst.jar or java -jar jeti2-inst.jar.

why don't use the jeti/2 support WDC?

But Jabber/XMPP is not a system to use Propietär IM Systems.
you can search for a server with open Transport (gateway) to the other systems (see jeti2.pdf)

Regards Ehtron

os2monkey

Hi, I actually had read those instructions earlier but they don't seem to work with ECS 1.2.
running from command line java -jar jeti2-inst.jar returns "-jar: illegal argument" , "open with java" from the web browser does not seem to be a download option with mozilla at least, and double clicking just tries to load a text file.

miturbide

Hi

I use  Psi/2 Jabber client version 0.10.1, and I connect to Jabber, AIM, ICQ, MSN and Google Talk at the same time. It is a very simple app to chat.

Download it from netlabs.
(ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qtapps/psi/psios2-0.10.1-os2/psios2-0_10_1-os2.wpi)
(fixed link)(you require WarpIn for make the wpi file run. Installation is simple)

You can check some screenshots of several platforms at:
http://psi-im.org/
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

ehtron

Hi/2
you are running java 1.4x ? Innotek or golden code?

Seems your java configuration is not ok.

Regards Ehtron

ehtron

Hi/2

try into the jeti2-inst.jar save dir

X:\java142\bin\java -jar jeti2-inst.jar

Java is case sensitive

Regards Ehtron

RobertM

You may also try SIM for OS/2 which is a "native" (ported) IM client, supporting numerous protocols.

http://eros2-dev.blogspot.com/2007/03/sim-for-os2.html

It supports: ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, Jabber IM protocols and also can post into your LiveJournal journal and communities.

It also has plugin support [dont know where to find plugins, but it comes with numerous ones, including weather, message and user notification pop-ups (in "transparent" mini-frames on whatever desktop you are on) and a variety of other features.]

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

adamr

I would second SIM for OS/2. It is a pretty good port and I have been using it for months with ICQ and
so far it has been working great on my system.

Adam

RobertM

Another good option (if all you need is AIM support), but without the added bells and whistles of SIM (no fancy weather, etc plugins) is Mr.Message:

http://mamodeo.dyndns.org/MrMessage/

A new version was just posted with some fixes. In addition, Marty has a bunch of new features planned and in the works.

Additionally, it has a few advantages over SIM in a few respects, such as it is a native OS/2 app, and supports REXX scripting throughout.

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

MrMessage also has the marked advantage of properly sending/receiving IMs, and not butchering your buddy lists on the AIM server or MSN server. Beware of SIM, I have never used or disliked a single piece of software as much in my life. And its not just the OS/2 version, the windows port sucks as well. There are pages upon pages of bug reports and issues on the SIM development page, and most of them are un-answered. Think on that. Make sure you have a working backup of your buddy lists somewhere, and get them ready.

MrMessage does have many new features planned, and should be set to be the best AIM client for OS/2, given time and some work.