• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

AVxCAT - ClamAVGUI

Started by CDRWSel, 2011.10.03, 16:57:40

Previous topic - Next topic

CDRWSel

Hi !

Since RPM/YUM is now imposed by developers which changes a major part of eCS apps installation rules and this package do not work on my system and many other problems it will generate under my eCS (on a small SSD partition). I plan to drop using eCS at next release announcement.

Are you still interested into AVxCAT and ClamAVGUI (without RPM/YUM test) updates and improvements ?
(only WPI packaged)

Kind regards
Remy

Pete

Hi Remy

The rpm/yum installer is desired by some developers to make porting *nix apps easier.

However, it seems that some(all?) of these apps will be offered in a zip file as well as rpm packages so it is not necessary to install yum/rpm at all.

I'm not that impressed by rpm/yum either and if it does become necessary will probably drop eCS myself at that point.

I'm sure we will all continue to appreciate software supplied in wpi or zip files  :-)

Regards

Pete

abwillis

I am very much interested in AVxCAT continued development and prefer wpi myself for it.

melf

Same here Remy. Especially AVxCAT, but also ClamAVGUI.
/Mikael

Ben

I'll toss my hat in for that being continued.

AVxCAT performs a useful service here and I hope that it does so for a good while longer. 8)

Thanks for what you have done so far, Remy.

ivan

Remy, we aren't all eCS users, neither are we all ready to bow down to the rpm/yum band wagon.

As far as I'm concerned it will be warpin or zip for any program install on the servers and computers here - even if I have to set up a dedicated linux computer to the files out of a rpm package.

Keep up the good work you are doing for as long as possible.  Our WSeB servers and AMD smp based workstations run everything we've thrown at them hence I've never seen the need to change to eCS.  Maybe if they improved ACPI so that it worked on all motherboards I might be interested.

ivan

CDRWSel

Many thanks all of you.
I'll continue to update both GUI as WPI distribution for now.

Once a gain thanks you.
If you have some whishes to formulate about GUI facilities or functions (remember, both are GUI), please post it here.

Kind regards,
Remy

Blonde Guy

I'm liking rpm/yum, but I also really like ClamAVGUI. It's my intention to get them to play nice together. I've already automated most IBM installer, Feature Installer, WarpIN and others into Suntan Special, and rpm/yum automates really well, too. So next version, they are all going to be supported together.

Keep up the good work, Remy. You should get to use your computer any way you like.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

jep

Hello Remy,

your tools are very useful and I especially like and use the capabilities of AVxCAT to edit video clips.

I'm not either throughout happy with "do it the Linux way" (duplicate the same code in several places and versions) instead of improving the OS/2-eCS-way-of-doing-things or share code, run by several apps in parallell, but it do allow us to get several apps.

The lack of rexx awarnes is annoying, but understandable.
That's why I propose to add rexx functions in dlls so one can use them in OS/2-eCS applications as well.

//Jan-Erik
Bomb away.