• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Arachnophilia version 5.5

Started by Pete, 2011.10.05, 00:30:54

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

Pete, I know this might be a silly question but do you have <drive>\odin\system32 in your path and libpath in config.sys?

I ask because I can run Aracnophilia from a program object without problems - well OK it does say that drive A: isn't ready because I don't have a floppy in it.

Also I only have java 1.3 in there because I've never bothered to take it out.

ivan

Pete

Hi ivan

Yes, j:\programs\odin\system32 is in both path and libpath.

I have not installed java 1.3 for years...

Regards

Pete

ivan

Hi Pete,

I don't think java 1.3 has anything to do with it - it just happened to be on the image I used when I set up the new computer.

Just checked on another computer that has only openjdk6 and it works from the program object and I can open files.

The only difference with my setups is that odin is in the root directory of drive E: although I wouldn't think that would make any difference.

I first installed odin there years ago before it came as a warpin package and have told warpin to use the same directory.

The only other thing I can think of is that there may be some older odin DLLs hiding out on your system - just as I had some older qt4 DLLs on mine, but that is just clutching at straws.

ivan

Pete

Hi Joop

We have already established that stting Path and libpath does not help - and any dependencies in the jar file should be resolved by those or contained within the jar file.

However, I changed the cmd file used to start the app to:-

SET BEGINLIBPATH=J:\Java\openJDK6\bin;J:\Java\openJDK6\lib;
SET PATH=J:\Java\openJDK6\bin;%PATH%
J:
cd \Java\Arachnophilia
java.exe -jar Arachnophilia.jar

Result: No change, still cannot get the file open dialog to appear and the error log still shows the same error:-
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Could not get shell folder ID list

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi Ivan

My Odin directory has been in the same location for years and that is where newer builds of odin - whether warpin or zip package - get installed to.

So, no chance on duplicate odin files hanging around somewhere.

Regards

Pete

Joop

Quote from: Pete on 2011.10.10, 16:57:16
Hi Ivan

My Odin directory has been in the same location for years and that is where newer builds of odin - whether warpin or zip package - get installed to.

So, no chance on duplicate odin files hanging around somewhere.

Regards

Pete

Did you delete the old stuff BEFORE you installed the new version? Both Odin and Java? Because I'm running out of options your case.

Pete

Hi All

Problem resolved, Arachnophilia (amongst others) now working properly.

The cause of the problem was somewhere within these actions:-

1] Deleted the %HOME%\.Arachnophilia directory so that it would get recreated next time I start Arachnophilia

2] Unzipped Odin 0.7.1 to a temp directory then copied the files from system32 to the odin\system32 directory - I used the Prompt for action option to make sure that all 76 (or was it 79?) files got copied successfully; I had previously used the Replace option.

3] After copying files I ran the odin\system32\odininst.exe program

I then started Arachnophilia and had no problems getting the file dialog to display.

Of interest to Joop possibly: my Arachnophilia program object contains the following:-
Path and filename: J:\JAVA\OPENJDK6\BIN\JAVAW.EXE
Parameters: -jar J:\Java\Arachnophilia\Arachnophilia.jar

So, I am starting java and Arachnophilia from arbitrary locations without adding java data to Path and Libpath and without changing drive and directory to J:\Java\Arachnophilia

Other apps now working properly are JDiskReport and JPhotoBrush.

However, other apps such as Art of Illusion, ImageEditor and JEdit were working fine at the point in time that Arachnophilia, JDiskReport and JPhotoBrush were throwing the java error "Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Could not get shell folder ID list". This added to my confusion.

I am tending to suspect that when I first unzipped Odin0.7.1 not all the system32 files got copied successfully to the odin\system32 directory - although I did not get any errors reported during unzipping or copying.

I am sure that I remember running odininst.exe after updating to Odin 0.7.1 initially.

I doubt that deleting the %HOME%\.Arachnophilia directory made any difference - certainly should not have affected whether JDiskReport and JPhotoBrush worked properly.

Anyway, it seems the problem is resolved and I can go close my reported Odin and Java bugs.

Thanks for all your help and patience guys.

Pete

Joop

Quote from: Pete on 2011.10.11, 13:34:57
3] After copying files I ran the odin\system32\odininst.exe program
I don't know what it will do, I didn't run this program.

Of interest to Joop possibly: my Arachnophilia program object contains the following:-
Parameters: -jar J:\Java\Arachnophilia\Arachnophilia.jar

So, I am starting java and Arachnophilia from arbitrary locations without adding java data to Path and Libpath and without changing drive and directory to J:\Java\Arachnophilia
I did already know this because I wrote "I'm running out of options your case". In this case with Arachnophilia there are no other files and directories, so you can indead start everywhere. However as soon as you want a logfile (-jar J:\Java\Arachnophilia\Arachnophilia.jar 2>Arachnophiliabugs.txt) be sure to be in that directory otherwise that log could be saved anywhere on your system.

Thanks for all your help and patience guys.
Its good to read that its working now for you.

Regards,
Joop

Pete

Hi Joop

Not sure exactly what odininst.exe does but think it must update Odin configuration with current build data - possibly in the Registry.

I only run it when installing an update from zip package because the readme.txt file says to do so:-

Manual installation without WarpIn is not recommended. If you don't use WarpIn,
then you *must* execute odininst.exe in the Odin system32 directory. (the first
time Odin is installed or when the ChangeLog mentions fixes/changes in the
installer)

Regards

Pete

Joop

However, other apps such as Art of Illusion, ImageEditor and JEdit were working fine at the point in time that Arachnophilia, JDiskReport and JPhotoBrush were throwing the java error "Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Could not get shell folder ID list". This added to my confusion.
Still have to test Art of Illusion
I can't get ImageEditor working with ANY available Java for OS/2-eCS. I have tried everything.
Today I have installed latest stable version of Jedit and it does not give problems with Odin 7.1 and Java 1.60GA. However you can't use the REXX script called jedit.cmd. The script can't recognize Java 1.60. If you make your own Java startup cmd file all is fine. I used the jar installer file.

Regards,
Joop

Pete

Hi Joop

I start ImageEditor from a program object with these properties on the Program page:-
Parameters: -jar J:\JAVA\ImageEditor\imageeditor.jar

I don't think I ever used the jedit.cmd file to start jedit - if I remember correctly you need to have java in the path and libpath for that cmd file to work - I use a program object like the above but with J:\Java\JEDIT\jedit.jar instead of imageegitor.jar

Both work fine here :-)

Regards

Pete