• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

POLL: eCS 2 on "Tab/Pad" 's - useless or usefull

Started by Sigurd, 2010.09.23, 15:39:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurd

Hi,

the work with the new Stylus Driver for my Lenovo "X200T" project I am still working on leads me to the following question:

Do you think it makes sence to install eCS2 on such a Tab or Pad (whatever they are called)? May it be impossible (because of hardware/Driver restrictions) - or may it be possbile but useless (no way for a reasonable onor effective use) or may it be....

Every suggestion is welcome!

For sure the i-pad is not a candidate for this, but it may be a Tab like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeTab that is based on Netbook (Intel technology).

What might be possible:

- Installation itself: it does have a USB connector, so might be via USB CD
- Virtual keyboard (already existing)
- Big Icons (already existing)

- and essential: Touch Screen support - but because the new Stylus Driver is already designed as a part of a new Touch screen driver - see: http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/index.html this might happen, but Multitouch may be impossible but not needed at all for eComStation.

What's your opinion?

Blonde Guy

I think it would be useful. While we won't have an app store, this is the way computers are headed, and it would be key to have this working. I found your ideas interesting.

Just getting the non-tablet X200 computer fully working would be interesting, as I am already selling X41 with great function, and the X60 with pretty good function. I was pleased to read about your experiment with replacing the WiFi card and modifying BIOS. I think you were the first to report success with that.

I'm considering trying one myself. I feel that I must run the machine myself and see what happens over a long term before offering one for sale.

For a tablet, it would be interesting to see VoiceType running. I'm trying to imagine typing this message on a tablet computer, and it's not clear how that would work.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

melf

It's an interesting question. I just thought about something similar as I've noticed that ereaders are becoming more popular. I never thought I'd use one but now I can imagine that one day I will. I think the format on ereaders and pads will prove to be quite useful for ordinary things that people do with their computers, surf, mail, write and so on. So yes, it would be good to hang on to that train. I saw your film and i seemed to work quite well really!
/Mikael

Sigurd

Hi,

thanks for your suggestions!

@ BlondeGuy - Yes, it is in fact not to hard to change the WLAN Adapter and to replace the BIOS, it takes about 15 MInutes at all, 10 screws have to be moved - BUT: I think one will lose the Lenovo warranty once you do this. That is the main problem I guess. Typing can be done via the Virtual keyboard program once Touch is enabled - see - http://de.ecomstation.ru/projects/vkeyb/ . For me unfortunately Voice type is not working , I guess because of the use of UNIAUD (the speakers do work, but the microphone not, have to test the microphone jack though), same with Virtual PC.

@ Melf - compared with the video it is even much better now! Wim does a great job - the right mouse click is working now (press the middle button of the Stylus), movement is very smooth and exact, even in WinOS2! It is really incredible, how much this Stylus support improved the use of EcomStation to me! Especially while surfing....

Robert Deed

Quote from: Sigurd on 2010.09.23, 15:39:34
Hi,

the work with the new Stylus Driver for my Lenovo "X200T" project I am still working on leads me to the following question:

Do you think it makes sence to install eCS2 on such a Tab or Pad (whatever they are called)? May it be impossible (because of hardware/Driver restrictions) - or may it be possbile but useless (no way for a reasonable onor effective use) or may it be....

For sure the i-pad is not a candidate for this, but it may be a Tab like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeTab that is based on Netbook (Intel technology).

What might be possible:

- and essential: Touch Screen support - but because the new Stylus Driver is already designed as a part of a new Touch screen driver - see: http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/index.html this might happen, but Multitouch may be impossible but not needed at all for eComStation.

What's your opinion?

I defiantly like the idea of using a 200 Tablet..  I'm wondering if you have the issue of the fan turning off and the system getting really hot that I have on my T500.  I'm investigating the best way to rectify this myself.   I think it would be interesting to use eCS on a full tablet, and the performance is bound to be better then win7.  Would be cool to get multitouch working, or atlleast an on screen control buttons for things like zoom etc, though considering the resolution of most tablets zoom is pointless (zoom out may not be).  Really my question would be how many resources would need to be moved from other projects to allow this to happen.  I for one do not believe that tablets are the "future of computing"  I believe that while they may become popular they are mainly for media consumption, as soon as our tv manufacturers and cable companies get on the ball and give us that consumption through our media center, using a tablet will then become mostly for portable media consumption, which right now is being done by cellphones, and carrying a tablet as well might not really catch on.   

edurrant

Hi Sigurd,
  I do believe the future includes the long overdue tablets but the ones that came out a few years ago had one major flaw, they ran an operating system from a desktop PC - MS Windows in those days. The recent success of the Apple iPAD, I think comes from the fact that it uses the simpler operating system found on the iPhone, the iPhoneOS (please do not shorten to iOS as some people do - iOS is an IBM midrange operating system previously known as OS400).

I expect the market to be flooded with cheaper Android based tablets by Christmas, again Android is a phone OS, not a desktop OS. I believe the Dell tablet is to be called the "Tab" others may be called slates.

These devices are an example of making technology simple for the average user, something the IT industry should have been doing for the last 20 years - the technology has been there but industry and commercial considerations have stopped it happenning.

As well as using scaled up phone OSes, these tablets tend to use the same phone processors - the A4 in the case of the Apple product and the snapdragon in the case of Android tablets - neither of these processors run x86 instructions and so will not be able to run eComstation. 

So while we have a few tablets like the Lenovo X200T that use an Intel processor, these will be very rare in my opinion.

What these tablets do deliver is a simple machine where the user doesn't have to be a "geek" to understand how things work. Even Microsoft with their upcoming new Windows Mobile Phone 7 OS have based this on their Zune music player OS not on the desktop Windows 7 OS, so the tendency is away from desktop OSes for mobile devices onto simpler, more locked down proprietary OSes.

If we want to run eComstation on these devices, the simplest solution is to use an RDP or VMC "app" on the device back to a system running eComStation. I have already done this with my Apple iPOD touch (the Apple iPAD is simply a jumbo sized Apple iPOD touch) and it works well, except the iPOD touch's screen is too small to really use eCS - the tablets may well be an acceptable size - and yes touch translates into mouse movements when you use one of these devices, without any changes being needed to eComstation.

well, there's my 6 penneth!

Ed.

Sigurd

Quote from: Robert Deed on 2010.09.23, 21:40:47
Hi,

What might be possible:

What's your opinion?

I defiantly like the idea of using a 200 Tablet..  I'm wondering if you have the issue of the fan turning off and the system getting really hot that I have on my T500.  I'm investigating the best way to rectify this myself.   I think it would be interesting to use eCS on a full tablet, and the performance is bound to be better then win7.  Would be cool to get multitouch working, or atlleast an on screen control buttons for things like zoom etc, though considering the resolution of most tablets zoom is pointless (zoom out may not be).  Really my question would be how many resources would need to be moved from other projects to allow this to happen.  I for one do not believe that tablets are the "future of computing"  I believe that while they may become popular they are mainly for media consumption, as soon as our tv manufacturers and cable companies get on the ball and give us that consumption through our media center, using a tablet will then become mostly for portable media consumption, which right now is being done by cellphones, and carrying a tablet as well might not really catch on.   

Hi Robert,

regarding the fan, please try this, worked for me at least not sure if it is the same with the T500 but worht a try I guess.

Go to BIOS

Change the "Performance mode" to balance and "Battery optimized" for the Engery states at SpeedStepTechnology, even for AC powered.

Cheers

onlineuser2

Sigurd,
as much as voice type is concerned look at
http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,979.30/
where there is a workaround trick

regards

Onlineuser2
(great work with stylus!!!, waiting for further news and directions)

Robert Deed

Quote from: Sigurd on 2010.09.24, 13:18:04
Quote from: Robert Deed on 2010.09.23, 21:40:47
Hi,

What might be possible:

What's your opinion?

Hi Robert,

regarding the fan, please try this, worked for me at least not sure if it is the same with the T500 but worht a try I guess.

Go to BIOS

Change the "Performance mode" to balance and "Battery optimized" for the Engery states at SpeedStepTechnology, even for AC powered.

Cheers

Battery optimized will fail to boot.
Booting on battery power will fail to boot as well..  hangs right after the logo is displayed.

Sigurd

Hi Robert,

can you please give me the excact part number of your Laptop then I may can take a clooser look. (i.e.: mine is 7450-65G)

RobertM

WITH support for GPS cellular modems, very useful in some of the industries I support. There are cell/GPS modems that any eCS machine with USB networking support should be able to use (and the specs to how one can access the GPS data, which some of the hardware comes with).

They'd make a far better alternative than the current setups in place.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Robert Deed

Quote from: Sigurd on 2010.09.30, 16:15:41
Hi Robert,

can you please give me the excact part number of your Laptop then I may can take a clooser look. (i.e.: mine is 7450-65G)

2081-CTO.  It is a T500, C2D T9400 w/ 3gigs ram, AtherOS 802.11b/g  (may switch out for intel), Intel/ATI switchable graphics (currently forced to ATI drivers since Intel is crap), and 1280x800 LED display. 

eCS runs flawlessly on it, except that ACPI turns off the cpu fan.   I have disabled ACPI and the fan issue goes away, but then my audio has issues, I can only use 1 core, and there is no chance to getting lan to work.