• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Poll about Faxworks disappearing

Started by kim, 2007.04.24, 03:18:41

Previous topic - Next topic

With or without Faxworks disappearing - do you feel the need for a new, "contemporary" freeware fax solution for OS/2, maybe with scanner & network-fax capabilities?

Yep - something new would be nice
41 (73.2%)
No - I can live with what's still available
7 (12.5%)
No - I don't need fax software in OS/2
8 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Terry

Two items...

[1]  5-in-1:  Brother Fax Machines, to the best of my knowledge, have the only fax hardware solution built into their hardware/drivers for Win or Mac platforms as 5-in-1 => not the typical 4-in-1.

My HP-printer also just quit.  I then bought an HP-4200 3-in-1 without the fax option due to my recent Brother Fax Model #MFC-7220 purchase.  I am also ordering a parallel port PCI-card from newegg.com to use the parallel cable connection instead of the USB connection.

Under my new barebones desktop configuration there will be...

- Parallel motherboard connection for HP-4050 Black Laserjet.
- Parallel PCI-card connection for Brother Fax MFC-7220.
- USB connection for HP-4200 Color 3-in-1 (no fax 4+5 functions).

I bring up this "tid-bit" for the programmers out there in OS/2-land since a Brother Fax already has some of the capability built into their hardware.

[2]  PMFax:  Many years ago I purchased a FaxWorks upgrade through (not yet addressed in this thread) Global Village Communications.  There were two sources of FaxWorks upgrades, and; I remember that there were a few minor differences between Global Village and Keller upgrades.  So, it is Global Village Communications - FaxWorks Pro for OS/2 upgrade - to version 3.0 (copyright 1996).

John

Hi All,

I bought Faxworks Pro many years ago and used for only a short period of time until my modem was struck by lightning, the only available modems I could get after that were USB type modems or internal Winmodems so never really got a chance to make serious use of the software.

With a range of combination Printers, Scanners and faxes available on the market I'd like to see an updated Faxing solution. I personally find that a lot of people and companies still respond to a Fax faster than via email. Optical Character Recognition would also be a "must have" with the software.

Cheers,

John.

Sander

Quote from: BigWarpGuy on 2008.05.20, 22:16:16
With cable modems and DSL connections and other high speed internet connections, how many people still have an analog modem that the FAX software would connect to? Most can send it as an attachment to an e-mail.  ;D

Fax is an essential tool for much of the business world.  Try doing non-local financial, or real estate deals without fax.  Without fax you wouldn't get far in distribution, or most sales catagories either. 

Here we use the Brother MFC-8660DN networked multi function duplex laser Print, Copy, Scan, 33.6 Fax. Most small business use similar multi function machines.  The sad thing is that while all of the features are available to Windows, Mac, and all versions of Linux, they are NOT available for OS/2.   While the printer works under OS/2, and it works fine as a stand alone fax, and copier, it can not fax or scan directly from OS/2.

I would LOVE to see a fax solution for multi function machines like this. 

Dave Palmer

Quote from: Bill Scarlett on 2008.05.22, 21:09:07
Thanks for replying but I AM logged in. I have let the cursor roam all over the area at the beginning of the item where the Poll result is shown but, nothing makes the cursor change to a 'select' icon. Please, where do I vote?

need help too.  Like Bill, I can't find out or select anything to 'vote' on or with.

RobertM

Hey gang,

Try it now... if you see an option that says "Remove Vote" now, that means you already voted (which would be why you were not seeing a voting option before).

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Dave Palmer

Robert
Thanks - guess senility has hit me sooner than I wanted it to.
Though it would be fun to vote twice.
Dave

Bill

:-[  I must have voted as I see the 'remove vote' sign also.   Sorry about that but I have no recollection of voting. It must be put down to the approach of senility I fear.

Thanks for sorting it out,  Bill

RobertM

Quote from: Bill Scarlett on 2008.05.26, 01:32:52
:-[  I must have voted as I see the 'remove vote' sign also.   Sorry about that but I have no recollection of voting. It must be put down to the approach of senility I fear.

Thanks for sorting it out,  Bill

No prob gang! And now... you all can vote again, and again, and again if you wish!  ;D

Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ModZilla

RE plea for pollers! Yea, hey anyway its election yr here in the good ole USA - its good practice, I don't fax any more myself so I voted that I do not really need/use same, but its nice to be asked. I think its about time to query the crew as to whether or not it would be a good time to start an open project that in essence unloads an hastala_Vista like desktop and runs off a CD based on backtrak2 for os/2 eh? ;D ;D ??? :D :'(whatdya say?_?

MZ
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

ModZilla

ohk, faxwerkx long gone, whatever, the question wuz-and I paraphrase: "do we need an open os/2 fax project going on or not"? ie should it ]faxworks or pmfax or whatever it is that is defunct[ be replaced by something like it but more mod? I say no, but I am not really against the idea so maybe the poll should have had an "other" ambivalence column: neither yea or nea that way I wouldn't come off as being againt anything here...so if you even thought about voting, YES your vote really does count on Os2w-its a virtual poll, and its not senility software that gets your tinkers damn goin it Serenity. Seriously, interesting enough to me though, Kim and I quote you:

"Above mentioned activity was actually the reason why I started to use OS2 seriously; due to that Windows at that time really showed the limitations on how to handle hardware and software. We actually tried to build above solution around Windows and we just never got it to work and it also crashed all the time. Switching over to OS2, even a beta, everything just ran as it was supposed. At that time I also came from using the Amiga and I liked OS2 GUI with the combination of running command lines interfaces as well; just as we could on the good old Amiga." .. ..I find that very interesting... :-*

I am not surprised windows "crashed all the time" on you, hey, with four fax cards in a box, it may have turned out that persuing the project with one fax card only, tWinDose would have still crashed back then, due to all the problems with IRQs, eh, speaking of Amiga [as I drift even further off topic], I liked the old video toater in those machines, that was the hot setup...video in WINDOWS uh not so great, uh fax with windows, not so great, uh deskview or delrina fax uh, OhK, but NO TANKS!
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

RobertM

Quoteohk, faxwerkx long gone, whatever, the question wuz-and I paraphrase: "do we need an open os/2 fax project going on or not"? ie should it ]faxworks or pmfax or whatever it is that is defunct[ be replaced by something like it but more mod? I say no

My perceptions (as wrong as they could be) are that any fax solution for OS/2 should be easily scriptable, and as capable as PMFax and FaxWorks Pro (and like them, preferably with REXX).

I base that on the fact that all of my clients who need faxing solutions, all need them for automated things... one client needs fax-out capability where the faxes can be created and sent via an address book (part of the fax app, or from a database) to numerous recipients, all "personalized" - that was trivial with FaxWorks Pro.

Another client needs to be able to receive faxes, have them OCR'd automatically, call an external app (or preferably a REXX script) to parse the OCR'd text, and then insert the data into a MySQL database, and trigger a notification script/app that then sends out pages (ie: pager pages) and/or sends the data to various remote stations (or makes it available via polling from the remote station). Again, very trivial for FaxWorks Pro.

Other than a fancy GUI and support for newer modems, I dont know of anything that FaxWorks Pro is lacking - and it's a true, native OS/2 app (and performs as such).

For my second customer example, I plan on buying a bunch of old faxmodems to install, and run FaxWorks Pro. For the first, it's a "future plan" that they may never implement - but I need a solution for if they do. And as always, I'd prefer it's a "running on OS/2 or eComStation" solution. We have a support contract with each customer... and I thoroughly enjoy never having to come up to update/fix/de-virus the servers we have installed (all are running eComStation). I plan on keeping those servers that way - even if it means dusting off as many copies of FaxWorks Pro and buying as many old faxmodems as I can find. The only problem I have, is if we get as many of these accounts as we can (125 total potential ones in this area alone), I am sure to run out of available/findable copies of FaxWorks Pro and available/findable supported faxmodems.

IF we were guaranteed all of the accounts in this area, we would subsidize part of the cost to update FaxWorks Pro... but we dont know whether we will get one more account... or 120 more accounts... so we aren't in a position to want to do that, since spending such money (for what may be one more account) would be a stupid business move. We'd buy it for each if it were available, on an as needed basis.

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|