• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

1 tb Hard Drive problem

Started by klipp, 2011.10.21, 20:34:13

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

Ineed to move many files larger than 2gb from a 1/2 tb drive to a 1 tb drive to make more available space on the smaller hard drive. I've tried copying using the different available file managers and they all "crap out" when approaching 2 gb. Is there hopefully a way of doing this that I don't know about? The 1 tb hard drive is partitioned with 3, 200gb fat 32 partitions.
  thanks for any help with this problem

klipp
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx

RobertM

Three solutions come to mind:
(1) Newer versions of File Commander supposedly support >2GB
(2) xcopy (which should work with larger files, assuming large file support is available in the particular version of Warp/eCS you are using)
(3) You can FTP them using Peter Moylan's ftpd, which has large file support enabled.

If you don't have a client that supports larger than 2GB files, you can use a Windows or Linux machine as an intermediary:
(Step 1) With ftpd running on the 1/2TB machine, ftp to a Windows/Linux machine
(Step 2) With ftpd running on the 1TB machine, ftp from the Windows/Linux machine

FAT32 is supposed to be limited to 4GB files, btw.

If you are still running into issues, the problem may be in eCS/Warp's FAT32 support, which may not have >2GB support. If that's the case, there is no way around this other than by someone updating the FAT32 drivers.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: RobertM on 2011.10.21, 21:06:39
FAT32 is supposed to be limited to 4GB files, btw.

If you are still running into issues, the problem may be in eCS/Warp's FAT32 support, which may not have >2GB support. If that's the case, there is no way around this other than by someone updating the FAT32 drivers.

...or not using FAT32.

But, I also thought of something else. IF the FAT32 driver does support the full 4GB file size per the FAT32 spec, then perhaps it's possible that the programs you are using are having issues with realizing that FAT32 will allow greater than 2GB files (ie: they are looking for JFS volumes only and won't copy files greater than 2GB to anything else). If that is the case, you should be able to set up a JFS partition as a "transfer/copy conduit" and use the tools/file managers you are using to copy the stuff there, then from there xcopy to the FAT32 partition, till each is full (clearing the JFS partition after each batch so you only need a JFS partition the size of one FAT32 partition).

Not neat or quick (especially with the double copy), but if that's where the problem lies, it should at least work.

-R

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

klipp

Hey Rob, I think you're second idea is the one that will "bail me out", with the exception of several 4+ gb .iso files I want to transplant (guess i'll have to re-download them! ).

thanks again,  klipp
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx