• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Virtual Box port bounty

Started by kim, 2007.09.29, 19:30:43

Previous topic - Next topic

cytan

Hi guys,
   To those of you brave enough to try out Paul's latest build, how does it work? Is networking ok?

I'm curious about your experiences before I take the plunge. I'll probably be loading in FreeBSD or Redhat. I really don't want to spend any $$$ on a copy of WinXP to test this.

cytan

David McKenna

The latest is working great here - both Win2000 and Fedora 8. Pointer integration and shared folders works with both. I am using the VirtualBox.exe GUI and everything seems to work except I cannot save a snapshot - no big loss. There is still no TCP networking, CD-ROM (except mounted file), floppy (except mounted file), com port or sound in a VM though. Using VBoxBFE.exe I still have to 'triple-click' on icons to open them, and fonts are often chopped-off at the top - these don't happen using VirtualBox.exe.

I have started messing around with OpenVPN, and got it to connect through a tunnel from the guest to the host, but I haven't been able to get my head around all the routing that needs to be done to make it usable for internet browsing on the guest yet. Even following instructions on the OpenVPN website hasn't got me anywhere...

Anyone else try to set up OpenVPN in a guest yet?...

Dave McKenna

melf

Just a reminder about iso:s. Tonigy presents data CD:s as iso-files directly. I guess that would work , so you don't have to make them.
/Mikael

miturbide

The bounty prize for the VirtualBox port has raised to $302.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

os2monkey

I'm wondering if for bigger bounty projects like virtualbox, if maybe the bounty should be released partially with milestones.
For example, Paul Smedley did a good amount of work initially getting it started. Maybe he should have received a % of the bounty so he gets something for starting he project.

Just seems like it would encourage more work since people don't have to do everything to get something back.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: os2monkey on 2012.01.01, 09:32:49
I'm wondering if for bigger bounty projects like virtualbox, if maybe the bounty should be released partially with milestones.
For example, Paul Smedley did a good amount of work initially getting it started. Maybe he should have received a % of the bounty so he gets something for starting he project.

Just seems like it would encourage more work since people don't have to do everything to get something back.

FWIW I did very little actual work on virtualbox other than to compile it.  The OS/2 specifics were (at the time) available in svn.