• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Current Status of the ODIN OS/2 Project

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2007.10.05, 03:17:53

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

There seems to be some activity with the ODIN mailing list. I have received e-mails from the it.  ;D I hoping that this is a good sign. I look forward to future development of ODIN.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/win32os2-wai   (win32os2-wai@yahoogroups.com)
Here is what seems to be the Odin programmers mailing list.

http://odin.netlabs.org/en/site/news.xml

Saijin_Naib

DUUUUDE! Theres a new odinxp32 zip file in netlabs incoming! Its HUUGE (35mb), and contains WINE, OpenGl, Mesa3D Stuff! Its not compiled, but my god am I excited :D Please, if anyone knows something about it, let me know! This looks very, very good!

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.02.02, 18:25:38
DUUUUDE! Theres a new odinxp32 zip file in netlabs incoming! Its HUUGE (35mb), and contains WINE, OpenGl, Mesa3D Stuff! Its not compiled, but my god am I excited :D Please, if anyone knows something about it, let me know! This looks very, very good!

Well, *I* know something about it... not much - but something. I read a post about this not too long ago. It was here:
http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,431.msg3831/#msg3831

Sorry... too little coffee and too little sleep. Nonetheless, I too am excited!!!  :D

-Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

haha, I thought the link was broken for a second.

Dude, if I could reach through the screen and grab your shirt collars shake you and yell "WEEEEEEE" I would. This is like, WOOOOOW. Can you imagine? WINE? Dude, thats office, and damn near every other app! And OpenGl/Mesa3d? QUAKE!?!?! I am about to like, pop. This should inject MAD life into OS/2. Now we needs codecs, but maybe not. Hell, I will just run WMP or VLC or Sonique or Tuniac or.....

MUAHAHA!

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.02.02, 18:41:46
haha, I thought the link was broken for a second.

Dude, if I could reach through the screen and grab your shirt collars shake you and yell "WEEEEEEE" I would. This is like, WOOOOOW. Can you imagine? WINE? Dude, thats office, and damn near every other app! And OpenGl/Mesa3d? QUAKE!?!?! I am about to like, pop. This should inject MAD life into OS/2. Now we needs codecs, but maybe not. Hell, I will just run WMP or VLC or Sonique or Tuniac or.....

MUAHAHA!

Indeed!!! While I prefer true OS/2 apps over Odin-ated apps or WinPorts, I also *LOVE* the ability to have one OS to rule (errr... run) them all!! This should be very neat. Soon, OS/2 will once again be the "Better Windows than Windows" - while still being OS/2!

-R

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

^ And not being yet another linux :) Now, we need an updated X enviro and window manger, and OS/2 should place itself in the ready to bitch-slap everyone who said it was dead.

cytan

If there is a great improvement in the current ODIN, I'd be ecstatic. But I'm going to remain calm and collected :) until there is an official announcement about what the 35MB file is all about.

cytan

hermi

Unfortunately it seems that this file only contains the contents of the cvs-tree.
Most likely without any new changes since september 2006 :-(

Saijin_Naib

Aw :( Thats kind of disappointing. I thought it was new because of all the things it contained like OpenGL, Mesda3d, WINE, etc, which AFAIK dont seem to be in the odin compiled binaries I am using now.

Joop

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.10.11, 11:17:46
It takes windows XP 42 seconds to get to my desktop. OS/2 takes a minute 23 seconds.
Its not done to omit the minutes with XP.

Windows XP can decompress and move files much faster than OS/2 seems to be able. It also deletes files faster, and I dont have to worry about is my trash can going to actually delete it, or will I have to reboot, put in blackhole and try again? Trashcan may just be an eWP/xWP issue. In terms of phyiscal memory usage, both OS are running almost EXACTLY the same ammount of RAM, and XP manages to look nicer while doing so (subjective of course).
You forget a few things. If you move a file under Windows with a link, then the link won't work because it isn't updated. This is not the case with OS/2-eComStation. The same for your trashcan. You can delete a file, but again, all programs and links to this object aren't aware of your action, in OS/2 it does. Concerning memory, OS/2 never stops, I only had one time when it ran out of memory and it came with the question what I wanted to do. Put in another hard drive, memory or stop the process. This message almost never pop up, it did on my OS/2 2.1 machine with 4Mb and a heavy load of pictures. Never saw that message again, but its there. In this case Windows will show you the famous blue screen.

That aside, OpenOffice on my Xp box (I have it for the odd document format that Office XP cant recognize) is waaaay faster.
Seems you didn't see the latest for eComStation, I saw a setup with eComStation and Windows XP next to each other. To get short, don't blink with your eyes.

In terms of long-term performance, I have had this XP install for almost 2 years without incident or noticble degradation in performance. However, OS/2 gets re-installed very often due mostly to my lacking OS/2 skill and also partly to its tendency to get bogged down and just generally slow for, to me, unbeknownst reasons. Id love to see a JFS degrament utility to see if this is the issue at hand, or if its .ini bloat or some other OS/2 weirdness that may very well be my fault.
I don't know what your doing, my latest setup dates from 03-08-05 (setup eComStation 1.2), before that is somewhere I believe in 1996 with OS/2 4.0. So long term its rock solid.

As for the hardware issues, you cant blame MS for hardware vendors not having current drivers. Im fairly certain hardware drivers for OS/2 Warp 3 do NOT work for OS/2 Warp 4, and I dont think this driver issue is exclusive to MS operating systems.
You are wrong again. I use a Calcomp Ultra Slate. The driver is written for OS/2 2.1 and I'm still using it under eComStation 1.2. Matter of fact, its even better then the Windows counterpart which is at version 10 something. Seamless integration between OS/2, DOS, Windows (whatever for that matter), X11.... Every time with a new update of Windows the drivers are different because they don't use a strict driver model. That is also the reason why some hardware with drivers don't work. May be you can explain to me why I need all kinds of drivers for every USB attachment in Windows while in OS/2 you just plug in, without installing a driver?

Windows ME and 98se when I had them. I (personally) have NOT had issues with windows backwards compatability, and I think (to me) its better than apple launching the classic emulation environment when you want to load something.
As long as you do what was on the MS list you won't have problems, but try a DOS program....

RobertM

It takes windows XP 42 seconds to get to my desktop. OS/2 takes a minute 23 seconds.

I do have one XP machine that boots very quickly. About 40-50 seconds to the desktop. But once again, it isnt ready for real use till about a minute or two later. When I see the OS/2 desktop, it is ready.

Comparing when the desktop appears is not a valid approach.

Though, on some hardware, booting under OS/2 can take a LOOOONG time. My Netfinity takes a few minutes... and that doesnt count it's own startup and diag time.

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.10.09, 04:50:48
I dont see the point in working piece-work to get only certain applications to work. I feel like that would be counter-productive in a way...

Nothing of the sort... once you get one app working 100% it means that various other apps work a little bit better (up to 100% even).

A few people focusing on getting a few apps to work in Odin may mean a LOT of apps working.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Well, it'd be great to see something with Odin or even WINE but I've pretty much given up any hope what-so-ever on this front.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.11.17, 05:24:27
Well, it'd be great to see something with Odin or even WINE but I've pretty much given up any hope what-so-ever on this front.

So have I...  :(  :'(

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|