• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Current Status of the ODIN OS/2 Project

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2007.10.05, 03:17:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Hi, I am not sure if this has been said before, I got into eCS not too long ago. What is the current status of the ODIN project for OS/2? It looked very promising and very, very useful to me atleast. I have happy dreams of running MS Office and WMP and Steam and a bunch of other win apps I cant live without on an OS that for some reason, I cant leave behind. I see that the last build on netlabs is from august of 2006. What happened since then? Is the project dead? Does it need funding? I would really like to see it continue if at all possible. Someone, please enlighten me.

BigWarpGuy

Saijin_Naib

I have checked those places... I was wondering if there was any sort of unofficial/official news that was not posted? Or has this just sort of fallen by the way-side.

DavidG

Check out the newsgroup

gmane.org.netlabs.odin.user

Saijin_Naib

Been there as well :p
That post about Photoshop 7 and office XP is me.
So, Im guessing that Odin is an as-is thing from now on? Its a dead project? Im asking because I may wish to start a bounty to get that and Everblue back in active development. We need to pull a larger community to OS/2 and with the win32 API capabilites of Odin at a WINE level and a true linux sub-system that is native to the PM ala Everblue, OS/2 would start to look more and more attractive to tech geek types, like myself, and possibly the many linux freaks at my college.

herwigb

Well, most of the people who worked on Odin have quit using eCS (OS/2). The last people who contributed and compiled Odin where Andy Willis and Dietrich Teickner. Both are still active eCS (OS/2) users, although now busy with other projects.

Odin is very difficult to compile and very difficult in general.

The source is available at netlabs, in case you want to start working on it.

Kind regards,
Herwig
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

Saijin_Naib

Well, seeing as I have no knowledge of programming what-so-ever, and dont even know how to set up an environment within eCS for compiling things, I would say that I would not be of much use. Would starting a bounty and getting enough funding help to get the Odin project back under active development?

BigWarpGuy

http://www.os2world.com/cgi-bin/ultraboard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=79&TID=46&SID=
I hope it does not go the way of WAPE.  :( It showed promise but did not really go anywhere.

8)

Saijin_Naib

Damn :( I really think eCS needs this, be it through Odin or WAPE. Is WAPE officially dead? For that matter, is Odin officially dead? Which is the best method of getting windows32 API support? Which is the easiest to develop for? In short, which one should be funded and resurrected?

BigWarpGuy

The best bet might be ODIN since it is open source. There is some doubt about WAPE being open source. WAPE seemed to have promise but it did not seem to go anywhere.  :(

Saijin_Naib

Do you think this will be supported by the community? Is there a way for us to gague whether people want to see the Odin project continued? I do want to help in some way, and I will start a bounty, but can someone post a front-page poll or survey so we can see what the response will be?

cytan

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.10.08, 18:29:10
Do you think this will be supported by the community? Is there a way for us to gague whether people want to see the Odin project continued? I do want to help in some way, and I will start a bounty, but can someone post a front-page poll or survey so we can see what the response will be?

I would certainly like to support a bounty for ODIN. However, because it is a very complicated programme, I think the bounty should focus on one app that all of us think is critical which is not open source. This should make it  doable  or else it becomes too nebulous.

My vote is for an Odinized version of  RealPlayer or FlashPlayer.

cytan

Saijin_Naib

Id have to contend. Paul Smedley is working on Gnash (open source Flash) as a stand alone player and a plugin for Firefox family of products, so no need for flash player there.
Realplayer is okay, however, WarpVision plays most formats of audio and video, and PM123 could have a plugin written for it to play your real-audio files. This sort of negates these programs as needed to be run through Odin. Of course, there are probably other features/reasons you wish to have these applications through odin, so I can not say for sure.

I think the Odin API should be a complete solution akin to WINE so people have the ability to run whatever they wish. This is an incredibly attractive feature of a non-MS operating system for those people who have a pole up their ass about using Windows for whatever reason, but still wish to use Windows software. Myself, I dont mind windows, and I want Win32API support for eCS because its cool and I like working in eCS. Id also like to see eCS/OS2 stay alive, and if it can keep up with the Linuxes a little better, this will become more of a reality.

Myself, I feel that Microsoft Office can not be without. OpenOffice is okay for free software, but I am paying a subscription to it and it, im my opinion, is not worth any ammount of money.

cytan

Unfortunately, warpvision has never really worked as a streaming player for me at all! And I believe it is dead.

I think I'd like to hear what our community wants. It would be fantastic if ODIN can run 99% of all the win32 apps out there. However, this is unrealistic because there are so few developers out there for os/2. I still think a modest, realistic, medium time scale project would be feasible as a bounty rather than some unreachable goal.

cytan

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.10.08, 19:35:48
Id have to contend. Paul Smedley is working on Gnash (open source Flash) as a stand alone player and a plugin for Firefox family of products, so no need for flash player there.
Realplayer is okay, however, WarpVision plays most formats of audio and video, and PM123 could have a plugin written for it to play your real-audio files. This sort of negates these programs as needed to be run through Odin. Of course, there are probably other features/reasons you wish to have these applications through odin, so I can not say for sure.

I think the Odin API should be a complete solution akin to WINE so people have the ability to run whatever they wish. This is an incredibly attractive feature of a non-MS operating system for those people who have a pole up their ass about using Windows for whatever reason, but still wish to use Windows software. Myself, I dont mind windows, and I want Win32API support for eCS because its cool and I like working in eCS. Id also like to see eCS/OS2 stay alive, and if it can keep up with the Linuxes a little better, this will become more of a reality.

Myself, I feel that Microsoft Office can not be without. OpenOffice is okay for free software, but I am paying a subscription to it and it, im my opinion, is not worth any ammount of money.

Saijin_Naib

This is true... I never said this had to happen at once, I just think that it should come back into active development and that a Odin wiki site with a ton of info on how to get set up for Odin and info on how to help compile the .sym files and whatnot should be made. I wouldnt know where to start to try and help even if I could program. I think the ultimate goal should be a Win32 API implementation on the same plane as WINE, but it does not need to be immediate. Perhaps a little at a time, just incremental improvements that over time can become a complete solution.