• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SMplayer version 0.6.9 beta 3

Started by diver, 2011.11.28, 11:28:03

Previous topic - Next topic

diver

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/21209/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Monday, 21 November 2011

A beta 3. .. .

just as a small addition. the b3 from the zip is not beta 3. It's build 3 of the 0.6.9 series.

regards
Silvan

Pete

Hi Silvan

Maybe it should have been a beta as playback using this build can only be described as exceedingly jerky.

Back to the previous build for me.

Regards

Pete

diver

there must be something wrong on your side. i can't reproduce it here sorry. and others can't also.

regards
Silvan

miturbide

thanks for the feedback. I had corrected the news.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Pete

Hi Silvan

Well, whatever is "wrong" here only affects this build; 0.6.9b2 works fine without any of this jerkiness.

I guess there could be some sort of configuration/setting that 0.6.9b3 requires to prevent the jerky playback but see nothing to suggest that is the case in the readme.

However, I have tried setting cache values of 100Kb for Local Files and DVDs (Default is 0) which has not helped. In fact it has made things much worse:-

Playback is still jerky

smplayer does not exit after playback if starting playback by doubleclicking a video file and cannot be closed by clicking any of the smplayer exit buttons

Killing smplayer in the Process List - have my keyboard windows Start key set to display Process List - does remove the playback window from screen but leaves smplayer - and mplayer -  in the Process List.

Attempting to kill smplayer using TOP results in TOP stating that smplayer cannot be killed.

Looks like I have to reboot to remove smplayer from the Process List - then I'll get to read the log generated and see if there is any obvious problem(s).

If you have any suggestions as to how to make smplayer 0.6.9b3 work properly here I'm interested.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi Silvan

I doubt I'll be reading the smplayer log as it is nearly 26Mb in size:-

29-11-11  2:34p    26,595,125    124 a---  smplayer_log.txt

That seems to be an excessively large log file.

Regards

Pete

DougB

I just installed this, to two systems. Both work very well. Thanks...

Pete

Hi Doug

Glad to hear it works for you...

I'll have to try 069b3 again and see if I can get a reasonable size log file that may shed some light on why it does not work that well here.

Regards

Pete

diver

Pete,

are you sure you don't have a missconfigured Qt. And be sure you use the latest smplayer with Qt 4.7
If i remember correct from your log you sent me i saw some Qt4.6 reference in it.

regards
Silvan

Pete

Hi silvan

I hope I don't have a misconfigured qt installation. The few qt apps that I have installed seem to be working fine - as was smplayer 0.6.9b2

I used Warpin to uninstall the qt 4.6.3 installation before unzipping qt 4.7.3; However I guess there is always a chance that I missed something that has not affected any qt apps until smplayer 0.6.9b3

I no longer have a copy of the log sent to you so cannot check that for mention of qt 4.6 but the current log does not mention qt 4.6 at all.

I'm currently trying various tweaks to the smplayer settings and will report back if I find a way of getting this app to work reasonably well.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi silvan

Still no luck with smplayer.

I can play a video using mplayer successfully and then try to play the same video using smplayer. About 3 to 5 seconds after playback starts smplayer hangs; no response to mouse or keyboard and no playback. After a short period of time the Window List appears and I can close the onscreen smplayer window - but smplayer and mplayer remain in the Process List and I cannot open the smplayer log file as it is in use.

As the video file plays when using mplayer but not when using smplayer I tend to suspect the problem is smplayer related.

Will see if there are any smplayer/mplayer logs to look at after I reboot.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi silvan

In the smplayer log of a session where smplayer hung while trying to play the file successfuuly played by mplyaer a little earlier I see :-

[19:27:51:575] Core::changeCurrentSec: mplayer reports that now it's playing
[19:27:51:614] Core::finishRestart: --- start ---
[19:27:51:614] Core::newMediaPlaying: --- start ---
[19:27:51:614] Core::initializeMenus
[19:27:51:614] BaseGui::initializeMenus
[19:27:51:614] MplayerVersion::isMplayerAtLeast: comparing 25391 with 33491
[19:27:51:614] MplayerVersion::isMplayerAtLeast: comparing 29407 with 33491
[19:27:51:614] MplayerVersion::isMplayerAtLeast: comparing 25391 with 33491

The lines

19:27:51:614] MplayerVersion::isMplayerAtLeast: comparing 25391 with 33491

are repeated ad nauseum - with time stamp changes being the only difference - until the end of the 17.34Mb log file. These lines start at line 405 and finish at line 236164 - presuming ae.exe managed to load the complete file.

Looks like smplayer is getting stuck in a "check the version of mplayer" loop. Could that be why smplayer hangs after a few seconds playback here?

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

Hi Silvan,

I am also having trouble with this new version of SMPlayer - I cannot set the MPlayer executable path setting. When I try, SMPlayer disappears from the screen. If I set it manually in the smplayer.ini file then I cannot open the preferences - SMPlayer again disappears. It seems having 'C:/' at the beginning of the 'mplayer_bin=C:/Programs/mplayer/mplayer.exe' line in smplayer.ini is what is causing this. If I remove 'C:/', then this does not happen. Either way I cannot play any DVDs.

MPlayer by itself works fine...

Regards,

Dave McKenna

diver

did you try with os2 like path? why do you use nix like?

c:\......\.....\........ should work. at least on my system all works fine.

Michaelhz

... same behaviour here. Everything works well on beta2.

My smplayer.ini definition:
mplayer_bin=c:\\programs\\mplayer\\mplayer.exe

(a single backslash in ini-file was not recognized by smplayer.exe)

Best regards
Michael