• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SMplayer version 0.6.9 beta 3

Started by diver, 2011.11.28, 11:28:03

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKenna

Silvan,

I used c:/.../.../ because that is what SMPlayer puts into smplayer.ini when I browse for the mplayer location. If I manually try to use C:\...\...\... in SMPlayer preferences it also crashes.

I tried Michael's suggestion of C:\\...\\... in smplayer.ini and that got me farther - Open DVD from drive searched the DVD, but eventually crashed (disappeared from screen). If I try to open preferences though, it also crashes.

I get the impression there are problems reading/writing smplayer.ini... could someone post a known working one I could try (accidentally deleted the one from the previous version)?

Regards,

Dave McKenna

Pete

Hi David

There are certainly some problems with reading/writing smplayer.ini using the 0.6.9b3 release here. Below is the email I've just sent Silvan about this.

If you are having similar problems Please report them to him.

Regards

Pete

The problems I see with smplayer 0.6.9b3 seem to be smplayer.ini related.

I had smplayer 0.6.9b2 installed and working well.

I deleted the files in the \PROGRAMS\MultiMedia\smplayer directory and then unzipped 0.6.9b3 into that directory.

I started smplayer and found Playback very "jerky" compared to the 0.6.9b2 release...

Later attempts to play video files usually (nearly all attempts at playback) resulted in smplayer hanging. It was possible to "close" the gui displayed onscreen from the Window List *but* this did not close smplayer and mplayer; both remained in the Process List and trying to start smplayer resulted in the Window List being displayed. The only way to kill those apps was to reboot.

After trying various tweaks to the smplayer settings and many reboots later due to the failure to resolve the smplayer problem(s) I decided to simply get rid of 0.6.9b3 and reinstate 0.6.9b2 as that had worked well.

So, I deleted the files in the \PROGRAMS\MultiMedia\smplayer directory and then unzipped 0.6.9b2 into that directory.

I then tried playing a video to check that all was working well. It was *not* - seems 0.6.9b2 now has the same problems as 0.6.9b3 ... but how?

Thinking about it the only file both builds have in common - apart from common support libraries (libc, qt) that are working fine with other apps - is the %HOME%\.smplayer\smplayer.ini file.

After the necessary reboot to clear smplayer and mplayer from the Process List I decided to delete the existing smplayer.ini file which is now fairly old having survived various smplayer updates and then started smplayer, which created a new smplayer.ini file, and setup smplayer Preferences.

Every video I tried played well, no problems and no hangs.

I then thought I'd try 0.6.9b3 with this new smplayer.ini file. After deleting the 0.6.9b2 files and unzipping the 0.6.9b3 files in their place I started smplayer and found that playback was working.

Initially playback was very "jerky" and closing smplayer and restarting seems to have got rid of that "jerky" playback. I've now played several videos ranging from 7 minutes through to 95 minutes with no obvious "jerky" playback and no hangs.

The above suggests there is something wrong with smplayer 0.6.9b3 in respect of reading/writing the original smplayer.ini file in use here. Note that 0.6.9b2 only had problems with the original smplayer.ini file that it had been using happily *after* I had tried the 0.6.9b3 release.

However, I seem to have found some problems with smplayer 0.6.9b3:-

1] Clicking the "Stop (Media Stop)" button causes smplayer to Exit - ie smplayer disappears from screen and is not in the Window or Process lists. This is obviously not the correct behaviour for that control, it should simply stop media playback.

2] Volume adjustments do not "stick" - ie I increase the volume, finish playback, close smplayer, restart smplayer and play the same video but the Volume level is the same as when I first played the video, not at the increased volume level.

3] Clicking the Options, Preferences causes smplayer to Exit.

The above could be ini file related.

There could be more problems to be discovered...

David McKenna

Hi Pete,

Sounds like you are having the same issues as me.... although I have not been able to get any playback yet. I'll report as you suggest. In the meantime, it's back to the second version...

Regards,

Dave McKenna

Pete

Hi David

The only reason I had playback at all - for what it was worth - was the fact that I had an smplayer.ini file with the mplayer path already set.

When I deleted the smplayer.ini file (after making a backup) I found the same problem you have - I can enter the mplayer path in Preferences  but when I click Apply smplayer Exits.

Silvan has not been able to reproduce any of the problems I see with the b3 release. However, I am still waiting for a response to my suggestion that he delete the smplayer.ini file and see if he can then set the path to mplayer without problems. Hopefully he will be able to reproduce that.

Yes, I've "reinstated" the b2 release and have that working fine - which, I think, blows out Silvans theory that because I did *not* install qt4.7.3 using yum/rpm the qt installation/configuration is wrong.

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

Pete,

Well, FWIW I did use YUM/RPM to install QT4.7.3 (wondered if that was the cause) so we definitely can count that out I think...

Regards,

Dave McKenna

rudi

Quote from: David McKenna on 2011.12.07, 00:25:21
  I tried Michael's suggestion of C:\\...\\...

Qt 4.7.x (not only on OS/2) has some changes with respect to the handling of INI files. Especially, the use of single backslashes is deprecated and may yield unexpected results. Forward slashes or  - as mentioned above - double backslashes should be fine.

Pete

Hi rudi

The problem is smplayer.ini 0.6.9b3 is crashing when trying to save the mplayer path in Preferences to a new smplayer.ini file and does not work properly with an existing smplayer.ini file that worked fine with smplayer 0.6.9b2.

As smplayer 0.6.9b2 does not have these problems I suspect smplayer 0.6.9b3 is the cause. Note: qt 4.7.3 was/is in use with smplayer 0.6.9b2 without problems despite any changes in the way qt handles ini files.

Regards

Pete