• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Graphics card

Started by Raiko, 2011.11.30, 18:36:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiko

Comments about using these 2 cards under eCS are welcome.
Planning on buying a Lenovo ThinkStation E30 7824 - Tower - 1 x Xeon E3-1235 / 3.2 GHz - RAM 4 GB - HDD 1 x 1 TB
(Model no.SZD43MN), will install eCS to a SSD disk.

NVIDIA Quadro 600 - Graphics card - Quadro 600 - 1 GB DDR3 - PCI Express 2.0 x16 - Dual link DVI / VGA and DisplayPort
NVIDIA Quadro 2000 - Graphics card - Quadro 2000 - 1 GB GDDR5 - DVI, 2 x DisplayPort

Tks

Pete

Hi Raiko

Well, you are going to be running those cards in VESA mode (Panorama driver or SNAP set to VBE fallback) so don't expect the same level of performance as they would deliver if they had accelerated drivers.

Regards

Pete

Raiko

Thanks Pete,

Yes, that's what I expected, but at least there is no obvious reason that they shoudn't work with Panorama?
I'm also planning on buying a Samsung 27", not sure what model cause there are quite a few to choose from,
so it would be nice to know if anyone has tried this combination of hardware.

Rgds Raiko

abwillis

There is no wide screen activator for the Nvidia cards so you would likely not get wide screen capabilities (can't say that for certain as it is dependent on the Video BIOS).

Raiko

So I can forget about nvidia bundled. This particular model also comes with integrated graphics,
Intel HD Graphics P3000 for Intel Xeon E3 Processor Family. It's not clear to me if this one is supported
by the wide screen activator, any experiences? Will probably be good enough for eCS, but occationally I
also use W7 and would like to have a better card.
http://en.ecomstation.ru/projects/panorama/?action=hardware-widescreen
The above site hasn't been updated since 2010/02/27 so I wonder what is the actual status today?
The cards listed are not available in any stores where I live, so does anyone have a suggestion for
something newer that works, wide screen and preferably up to 2 monitors?

abwillis

If by two monitors you want an extended desktop (one desktop extending across two monitors) then you need a card that is fully supported by SNAP (yes, old cards at this point).  If you just want to clone both monitors (same thing on both monitors) then Panorama is fine. 
Recently Paul Curtis posted this:
*ATI Radeon X300 series Dual Head video cards
I have some in stock

His site if anyone is interested:
http://www.curtissystemssoftware.com/

EugeneGorbunoff

The site seems dead. They are selling eCS 2.0 RC and beta.

RobertM

AFAIK, there are very few cards that will work in dual card configuration. And the nVidia cards are poorly supported by SNAP - watching paint dry is faster than the refresh rate you'll see using a SNAP/nVidia combination.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: EugeneGorbunoff on 2011.12.03, 22:07:20
The site seems dead. They are selling eCS 2.0 RC and beta.

Or simply not updated... I think he's been busy supporting a few big OS/2 clients.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

abwillis

Paul recently reported on the eCSTestTeam list that he had the inventory of those cards (within the month or so).  He has primarily started selling preinstalled eCS running in a VM running on Linux because of hardware support issues.

Raiko

Desktop extending across two monitors is what I'd like to have, but for now I'll just buy a Radeon of some sort and see if I can make it work with widescreen resolutions.

RobertM

Quote from: Raiko on 2011.12.05, 08:50:52
Desktop extending across two monitors is what I'd like to have, but for now I'll just buy a Radeon of some sort and see if I can make it work with widescreen resolutions.

Pretty easily done on most of the Radeons. I use SNAP for that, though haven't tried it on the newer and newest Radeon lines. I've got two wide screen LCDs hooked up and working (in wide screen mode of course). BUT, of course, the panels should be the same resolution, since SNAP will use the same resolution for each. In reality, it's creating a desktop twice as wide (or twice as high, depending on how you configure it) of a single LCD panel, and "splitting/spanning" it across both panels.

Once multi-head is enabled (assuming you're using SNAP - which may not be the solution to use on the newer/newest Radeons), simply pick the correct resolution (for instance, for a left screen/right screen setup with two 1280x1024 screens, you'd pick the 2560x1024 resolution). At least, that's how I think it went. I can always check if you run into problems.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Raiko

Got a Samsung SyncMaster S27A950D - LCD - 3D ready TFT - 27 delivered today, just plugged
it in and booted and I got to a desktop with the res 640/480. Highest resolution I could pick from
the list, using Panorama and nvidia 9600GT, is 1280/1024 which of course is not good enough,
but I'll soon get a new ATI graphics card and will report the outcome of that.
(I used to have a ViewSonic 2235 widescreen that worked well with 1680/1050 and the 9600GT.)

ivan

Hi Raiko,

You should get the resolution you are looking for from an ATI card.  I have a Hanns-g HH281 28 inch LCD @ 1920 x 1200 running here on an ATI card.  All I did was to select the correct resolution in the SNAP dropdown and it was up and running.

ivan

Andi

Just attached a second 24" 1920x1200 monitor to my ATI X300. Although the X300 does have only one DVI out the second monitor on the analog RGB out works amazingly well. Nearly invisible that it's an analog connection and I'm very picky when it comes to picture quality. I'm using the cable delivered with the HP monitor. So now I've 3840x1200 resolution.

Things worth to mention
- with SNAP the second monitor has to be placed at the right side, primary at the left. What the graphic card enumerates as primary and secondary I don't know. With the X300 it seems if there is something connected at the DVI interface it uses this as primary. But AFAIR it switches primary/secondary depending on what is attached at boot up. Unfortunately you can not freely flip images as you can do it with Win.
- size of Notebooks and Folders AND Objects inside are stored as fraction of screen width it seems. So your carefully placed Objects in Folders and Notebook sizes have to be positioned once again.
- some dialoges are at the center the PM which means they span across both monitors. Clearly 3 monitors would be better than. Anyone knows a card which is supported by snap and can drive 3 displays?
- StarOffice5.1 displays correct only with 4:3 display ratio. On a 32:10 workplace it's unusable. Luckily we've OpenOffice...
- when the cursor is on the second display the arrow also appears at the very left side of the primary display