• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Graphics card

Started by Raiko, 2011.11.30, 18:36:19

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Quote from: Andi on 2011.12.11, 21:05:58
- size of Notebooks and Folders AND Objects inside are stored as fraction of screen width it seems. So your carefully placed Objects in Folders and Notebook sizes have to be positioned once again.

Windows seems to have an issue with this as well - albeit a different one. It'd simply regroup everything that extended past the edge of the screen - so if the screen went from 1280x1024 to 800x600, then anything past 800 or past 600 gets dumped "wherever". I prefer OS/2's method - usually. I only had problems with its method when I jumped down a lot of "resolutions" - like 1800x1600 to 640x480. Though, for "momentary" resolution switches, it was nice - I could just "deal with it" and when I switched back to the higher resolution, things would be the way I left them. Used to come in handy with a projector I used to use occassionally that only operated at lower resolutions.

- some dialoges are at the center the PM which means they span across both monitors. Clearly 3 monitors would be better than. Anyone knows a card which is supported by snap and can drive 3 displays?

In my setup, there was a setting someplace... I cant remember whether it was in SNAP or something else I was running (xWP... Styler/2... WPSWidgets... ???). It would center dialogs onto one panel. It didnt work with everything, but it seemed to work with most things.

- when the cursor is on the second display the arrow also appears at the very left side of the primary display

That's odd. Never seen that before. Sounds like a slight incompatibility of some sort.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

abwillis

Quote from: RobertM on 2011.12.11, 22:15:20
- some dialoges are at the center the PM which means they span across both monitors. Clearly 3 monitors would be better than. Anyone knows a card which is supported by snap and can drive 3 displays?

In my setup, there was a setting someplace... I cant remember whether it was in SNAP or something else I was running (xWP... Styler/2... WPSWidgets... ???). It would center dialogs onto one panel. It didnt work with everything, but it seemed to work with most things.

That is a SNAP setting... there were a few apps that had problems with that but I don't recall which ones.

RobertM

Quote from: abwillis on 2011.12.11, 23:06:48
Quote from: RobertM on 2011.12.11, 22:15:20

That is a SNAP setting... there were a few apps that had problems with that but I don't recall which ones.

Nor do I... I think some portion of MPTS perhaps...

A lot of "normal" stuff (folders and such) would simply remember their place - as expected. Many true OS/2 apps would also remember their places automatically, even for stuff like file dialogs... while other true OS/2 apps (such as Embellish) would gladly remember such if one put things where they wanted and chose "Save window positions" from their menu. I think some of the older dialog stuff (leftovers from v1.3) are what largely failed positioning themselves in the wanted place.

Anyway - for those trying to get such a setup working, on the "Multihead" tab, the option is labeled "Center windows on head" which needs to be checked, followed by selecting which head (1 or 2, etc) or leaving at the default (I think #1).

Also on that page are the setting to change from "side by side" to "Above/Below", but as noted, no settings to change which is #1 and which is #2.

Of course, as interesting a placement as it is, one will also find the "base resolution" setting here. Anyone having trouble with finding the correct resolution multiple on page 1 ("Screen") should check the "Multihead" page first, set the "base resolution" for a single viewport, then go back to the "Screen" tab and look for the resolution multiple they want.

Inotherwords, if each LCD is 1280x1024, go to "Multihead" and select a base resolution of 1280x1024. After that go back to "Screen" and select the resolution "multiple" (assuming 2 LCDs and "side by side" mode) of 2560x1024. Now, you may get lucky, and it may already be listed in the resolution list on the "Screen" tab once you enable multihead - but if not, now everyone knows where to find the base setting to ensure it's there on the "screen" tab.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi

Quote...Samsung 27"...
Would suggest to buy a 16:10 model instead the cheaper and smaller 16:9 ones. Which means 1920x1200 instead 1920:1080. 10% smaller height (y resolution) really matters. Even would prefer a 24" 16:10 over a 27" 16:9. Nowadays inch values for displays alone are similar useful than GHz for processors... Check that out side by side before buying.

And again although stated above - for MultiHead applications you need 2 displays with the same resolution with OS/2. Best would be 2 times the same display brand and type.

RobertM

Agree with Andi... the taller the screen real-estate, the better - especially until someone figures out how to take advantage of some of the monitors that allow orientation flipping (ie: portrait to landscape). In some ways, for anything but watching movies, I actually prefer 4:3.

Oh, and side note: on my earlier comment on locking dialogs and windows to a certain screen, I may be in error on the file open/save dialogs. I've just remembered (in reading another thread I'm about to comment in) that I am running xFile for all my file open/save dialogs, and it (unlike the OS/2 dialog) is somewhat WPS aware, and is designed to be able to remember its size and position. Mine pops open on head #2 instead of centered on both or on head #1, even though my multihead setting is set up to use head #1 - thus I suspect my results are a feature of xFile's OS/2 WPS awareness and not of the setting in SNAP.

In running ANY version of OS/2, from eCS v1.2 or earlier, I've found xFile indispensable, and one of the first things I install on a setup. The few times I have actual work to do on a customer's setup and am forced into using the default dialog, I remember just how painful such is.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Raiko

Well, I already bought the 27" Samsung, and will see how it works before I decide to keep it or not.

Raiko

Installed a HIS Radeon HD 6770 and highest resolution with Panorama is 1400x1050 and not something I will use, also the movement of windows is a bit flaky. Tried SNAP and the pc hangs after it displays that the Scitech driver is loaded, last line of message starts with OEM....etc
ACPI is not yet installed and I wonder if that is necessary, any ideas?

RobertM

Quote from: Raiko on 2011.12.15, 00:02:52
Installed a HIS Radeon HD 6770 and highest resolution with Panorama is 1400x1050 and not something I will use, also the movement of windows is a bit flaky. Tried SNAP and the pc hangs after it displays that the Scitech driver is loaded, last line of message starts with OEM....etc
ACPI is not yet installed and I wonder if that is necessary, any ideas?

Boot to VGA using the boot choices (ALT-F! on boot blob), fully uninstall SNAP and remove all SNAP directories. Remove all additional SNAP files elsewhere. Reboot, then reinstall SNAP.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Raiko

Uninstalled and removed all SNAP stuff I could find, reinstalled SNAP and booting with ALT-F2 and the last thing I can see being loaded is pmshell.exe. At this point it normally would display the SNAP logo I guess, CAD works at this point though. Removed SNAP and installed Panorama and the widescreen activator and it works with 1920/1080, but the performance is too bad/slow painting. Unless someone has an idea how to make it work with SNAP, I think I'll have to find another graphics card.

RobertM

Quote from: Raiko on 2011.12.15, 13:44:39
Uninstalled and removed all SNAP stuff I could find, reinstalled SNAP and booting with ALT-F2 and the last thing I can see being loaded is pmshell.exe. At this point it normally would display the SNAP logo I guess, CAD works at this point though. Removed SNAP and installed Panorama and the widescreen activator and it works with 1920/1080, but the performance is too bad/slow painting. Unless someone has an idea how to make it work with SNAP, I think I'll have to find another graphics card.

Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush, and might not have been clear.

- Uninstall SNAP
- Reboot and select ALT-F1, then "Boot to VGA Mode" (or whatever it's labeled) on the boot choices presented
- Once the OS is booted, search for more SNAP components that were not deleted during the uninstall (SDDHELP.SYS and some others will remain, as well as possibly a SNAP directory or two - one sometimes in the root directory, and one someplace in one of the subdirectories under the OS2 directory)
- Remove/uninstall Panorama
- Reboot
- Reinstall SNAP

HTH,
Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Raiko

Tks, Rob, but I already did that, .........and did it again, still hangs at the same place.
By the way, I've also made a new installation of eCS21 and chose to use SNAP instead of Panorama and then it hangs after after phase1. Also tried with and without ACPI, still the same result.

RobertM

How different is it from the 7500? There's an additional driver to go along with it (the 7500) and SNAP.

Never mind... found the answer to that one. Sorry it didnt work. :/

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Raiko

In a few days I'll get a Radeon HD 5450 to test, however I'd appreciate if someone has an idea how to make the HD 6770 to work with SNAP, or to get better performance using Panorama. Recommendations for other graphic cards are also welcome.
Tks Raiko

RobertM

Quote from: Raiko on 2011.12.15, 23:49:29
In a few days I'll get a Radeon HD 5450 to test, however I'd appreciate if someone has an idea how to make the HD 6770 to work with SNAP, or to get better performance using Panorama. Recommendations for other graphic cards are also welcome.
Tks Raiko

On the "compatibility site" it seems most people are using the Panorama drivers for the newer HD series. You might want to check there to see how they're getting decent performance out of those drivers.

As it seems a bunch of the drivers were open sourced (for the Linux community), perhaps we can start some sort of initiative to porting them or incorporating the necessary code into Panorama or SNAP.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Raiko

Have checked the Panorama section at ecomstation.ru and many things there are a bit unclear to me, but I noticed this:

Q: Shadow buffer is enabled but it doesn't work (drawing is slow)     
A: * Try upgrade/downgrade motherboard BIOS of the computer.
   * Check x:\vbe2grad.log, It should contain: Write Combine caching enabled

My vbe2grad.log does not contain "Write Combine caching enabled" for the HD 6770. (It did for the nvidia 9600GT.)
Don't like the idea to downgrade BIOS, however although this is a new pc I'll check for a newer version.