• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Graphics card

Started by Raiko, 2011.11.30, 18:36:19

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Quote from: jdeb on 2012.01.26, 17:22:19
Quote from: sXwamp on 2011.12.22, 01:54:31
Or try a ATI Radeon 9250 256Mb PCI if you have an older computer.
Greggory
I have a like new ATI Radeon 9250 256mb or 512 (can't remember) AGP if someone needs it.

And SNAP (best edition you can get your hands on - though virtually any version will work - a newer edition IS required for SMP machines though). It will support dual monitors (LCD or CRT), 4:3 resolutions or 16:9 resolutions and VGA/DVI monitors via the standard DVI to VGA adapter that comes with some of the cards (as well as reportedly, various DVI monitors hooked up via their DVI cables).

Relatively snappy (no pun intended) performance.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi

The much better 16:10 resolutions too. Only problem with Multihead I found is with 'Center popups at screen..' and WinOS2. The WinOS2 popups are not moved to the center of on monitor and are not fully drawn too. Then you can not click on the partly drawn buttons and only kill this WinOS2 program with f.i. xcenter. So have to disable 'Center...' before starting WinOS2 and reenable afterwards.

Does WinOS2 work with Multihead and 'Center...' for anyone else?

RobertM

Quote from: Andi on 2012.01.27, 12:39:44
The much better 16:10 resolutions too. Only problem with Multihead I found is with 'Center popups at screen..' and WinOS2. The WinOS2 popups are not moved to the center of on monitor and are not fully drawn too. Then you can not click on the partly drawn buttons and only kill this WinOS2 program with f.i. xcenter. So have to disable 'Center...' before starting WinOS2 and reenable afterwards.

Does WinOS2 work with Multihead and 'Center...' for anyone else?

EDIT: I am discussing my experiences with WinOS2 Seamless on multihead - NOT my experiences with WinOS2 Full Screen. I cannot (easily) test my WinOS2 Full Screen experiences since I (virtually on day one) installed WPS4Win.

WinOS2 works fine here (ATI Radeon 9250 and SNAP full version, post SMP fix (don't know the build level, but I can check if necessary). Since in reality, they are really redrawn (drawn over) OS/2 folders/dialogs, it is weird that they would not work properly. Even their specific folder properties are derived from OS/2's default folder properties (border width, border colors, etc).

I have seen the drawing corruption you speak of, but that is usually because of a graphics or system component that is at a level mismatch for other components that are installed (or a video card driver issue). It usually happens in a failure during the "draw an OS/2 dialog... now paint a Windows-like dialog over it" stage.

I'm running multihead (2 LCDs) at 1280x1024 each, side by side orientation. My WinOS2 session is locked to the first head, and full screen (as expected) spans both heads. Un-maximizing restores the stored position on the first head (in the same fashion it would for any other OS/2 dialog box).

The only other time I've seen the redraw issue is on certain software on earlier versions of OS/2 (such as Warp 3... or possibly OS/2 2.1, and programs such as QuarkXpress 3.1, where it uses a toolbar with custom sized "sysmenu" and titlebar controls, and OS/2 doesn't properly scale the OS/2 equivalent, and then follows up with improper drawing of the Windows-like controls over it - but that was resolved a long time ago.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi

I've Snap build 505 which seems to be the last. Just installed 3.1.8 over it and identifies itself again with build no. 505.

I tested WinOS2 the same as you, on screen 1, maximize minimize works as expected. But WinOS2 message boxes (?) like the WIN-OS/2-Setup dialog in the WIN-OS/2-main group (Hauptgruppe) positions itself at the middle of the two screens but partly behind other OS/2 windows. Seems it is drawn first at screen center (middle of two screens) and then moved to the center of screen 1 as at that place there are redraw problems when moving OS/2 windows over it. And the WinOS2 dialog/window is not usable - does not react on mouse clicks neither at screen center (middle of the two screens) nor in the middle of screen 1.

It's eCS2.1DE with ATI X300 and otherwise works quite well. Please check your snap build level.

RobertM

Quote from: Andi on 2012.01.29, 20:07:07
I've Snap build 505 which seems to be the last. Just installed 3.1.8 over it and identifies itself again with build no. 505.

I tested WinOS2 the same as you, on screen 1, maximize minimize works as expected. But WinOS2 message boxes (?) like the WIN-OS/2-Setup dialog in the WIN-OS/2-main group (Hauptgruppe) positions itself at the middle of the two screens but partly behind other OS/2 windows. Seems it is drawn first at screen center (middle of two screens) and then moved to the center of screen 1 as at that place there are redraw problems when moving OS/2 windows over it. And the WinOS2 dialog/window is not usable - does not react on mouse clicks neither at screen center (middle of the two screens) nor in the middle of screen 1.

It's eCS2.1DE with ATI X300 and otherwise works quite well. Please check your snap build level.

I do get the window position problems with the ones you mention (and a couple others) - I doubt Windows 3.1 has a mechanism to store the window positions - or sizes it seems. I'm wondering if a standard GUI object ID is given to the windows for the seamless sessions... if that ID is consistent, maybe this is easily addressable. Otherwise, the answer may be to figure out how to ensure WinOS2's viewport is constrained to one head. Considering the mechanism it uses in drawing, that may be difficult.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Joop

Quote from: Andi on 2012.01.29, 20:07:07

I'm not sure if graphics has to do with your problem. Be sure that in your config.sys you have

DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VMOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\POINTDD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS

VMOUSE.SYS is necessary to use the mouse/pen in DOS/Win-16/Win-0S/2 sessions.
POINTDD.SYS is necessary for providing mouse-pointer draw support.
MOUSE.SYS is the OS/2-eCS physical mouse driver.

This setup is needed in THIS ORDER if you want seamless integration of your
mouse in OS/2-eCS, OS/2-eCS sessions, Win-16/Win-OS/2 sessions and DOS
sessions.

Joop

Quote from: RobertM on 2012.01.29, 20:41:30
I doubt Windows 3.1 has a mechanism to store the window positions - or sizes it seems.
Yes, it does.

RobertM

Quote from: Joop on 2012.01.29, 22:06:33
I doubt Windows 3.1 has a mechanism to store the window positions - or sizes it seems.
Yes, it does.

For programs, yes.

Do you know where such exists for folders?

Then, after that, I'd say the next thing is to figure out how to translate that into OS/2 specific information for the OS/2 windows drawn as WinOS2 windows.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi

Quote from: RobertM on 2012.01.29, 22:39:55
Quote from: Joop on 2012.01.29, 22:06:33
Yes, it does.

For programs, yes.

Do you know where such exists for folders?

Then, after that, I'd say the next thing is to figure out how to translate that into OS/2 specific information for the OS/2 windows drawn as WinOS2 windows.
Would be fine if it would work for programs. It's very nasty that the WinOS2 programs  I use  (PicturePublisher, Cadvance...) constantly starts nearly full screen (across both 24") and I've to resize it every time to the size I like to work with. Is there some setting to enable storing last window size I overlooked?

Anyway the bug I reported above is even more annoying...

RobertM

The mechanism for storing position and size must be in use in the program. Since the seamless OS/2 windows being redressed are not being treated (by OS/2) as OS/2 objects, I do not know of a way of using that capability. As it is, in the Win 3.1 world, it seems that ability was largely used to size and/or position sub windows or toolbars, which does work properly. Win 3.1 wasn't really written with dual monitor support in mind.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi

Quote- when the cursor is on the second display the arrow also appears at the very left side of the primary display
This is when hardware cursor acceleration is enabled. 'gaoption accel most' to switch off and the mouse problem disappers.