• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

IBM xSeries 226 (8648ECG)

Started by Raiko, 2007.07.06, 23:58:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiko

One dealer claims he has a IBM xSeries 226 available, specs below.
Does anyone have any ideas if OS/2 Warp Server would be happy with
this hardware?
Would appreciate comments.

xSeries 226 Express Seller Model

Model Name: 8648ECG
Part Number: 8648ECG

Architecture   
Orientations allowed:     Vertical
Slots x bays total (free):     6(6) x 9(7)
Form factor:     Tower
Hot Swap Bays - Standard:     6/6
Cooling System:   

Processor   
SMP processors std:     1
SMP processors max     2
BIOS type:     Flash
Processor (CPU):     Intel Xeon Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology, EM64T
Processor internal clock speed:     3.00GHz
Front Side Bus:     800MHz
Processor manufacturer:     Intel
Internal L2 Cache Size:     2MB

Memory   
Memory (RAM) std/max:     512MB / 12GB
Optional RAM configuration:     256:512:1024:2048MB DIMMs (should be installed in pairs)
RAM slots total:     6 DIMM
RAM slots available:     5 DIMM
RAM speed supported:     400MHz
RAM type:     PC2-3200 DDR2 SDRAM

Hard Disk   
Number of installed hard disks:   
Hard disk size1:     GB
Hard disk controller:     Integrated Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI
Hard disk type:   
Max hard disk capacity:     1.8TB

Graphics Subsystem   
Video RAM std/max:     16MB/16MB
Description:     ATI RADEON 7000M
Graphics Data Width:     32-bit
Video RAM Type:     DDR SDRAM
Resolution (max) with Standard Video RAM:     1024x768 16777216 colors
Max resolution (with max video RAM):     1024x768 16777216 colors
Max colors (with std video RAM):     16777216
Graphics Bus Interface:     PCI 2.2

Optical device   
Floppy diskette size:     3.5" 1.44MB
Optical device type:     CD-ROM
Optical device speed:     48X Max
Device interface:     EIDE
Average transfer rate:     --
Average access time:     80ms
Transport:     Front tray loading

Communications   
Network interface:     Gigabit Ethernet
Network speed:     1000Mbps,100Mbps,10Mbps

Power Management   
Heat emissions:     --
Sound emissions:     61dB
Power:     530W
Power supply type:     100-127V and 200-240V auto-sensing

Weight & Dimentions   
Weight:     25.8Kg
Height:     467.4mm
Width:     165mm
Depth:     660mm

Security   
Security features:     Keyboardless and displayless operation
Selectable boot
U-Bolt anchoring feature
Mechanical locks
Power-on password

Limited warranty   
Type of service:     Onsite Repair
Warranty period:     One year parts and labour

Expansion Options   
Plug and play support:   
SMP Capable:   
Parallel port type:   
Ports:     Mouse
Keyboard
RJ-45
Video
Parallel
2 Serial
2 USB 2.0 (back)
2 USB 2.0 (front)

RobertM

Hi Raiko,

According to IBM, yes, it will work. I am attaching a link to a PDF... if you look at the "Operating Systems Supported" section, you will find OS/2 listed. If the other IBM Servers I have tried are any indication, that machine will fly with Warp or eCS on it. The only issues you may have are configuring multiple NICs (if it comes with them) - which is actually easy. You may just need to specify the slot ID for each - which the drivers will list for you.

This model seems like the replacement series for the 2 CPU Netfinity and Intellistation models - which I have used and previously owned. The machines were true workhorses... you should be quite happy with it... and Warp should be very bored (with all that CPU power it doesnt need).  ;)

If you run into any problems, or need help setting it up, make another post and I'll see what I can do to help you.

-Robert

http://www-5.ibm.com/shop/si/servers/xseries/pdf/x226.pdf

NOTE:
Dont bother with having more than 4GB of RAM in it.

NOTE 2:
If you are using Warp Server... WSeB is the better route to go...

NOTE 3:
Also, I suggest finding the Service Manual - it will come in handy if you ever need to get parts or figure out exactly what is in the machine.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Raiko,

I have the Hardware Maintenance Manual, Users Guide, Option Install Guide and Installation Guide for this model if you want them.

-Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Raiko

Thanks Robert,
I will place an order for this one, and hopefully my IBM reseller can provide one
as they have stated. (Might take some time though.)

Your notes:
1. Will have 2 GB RAM
2. I've got Warp Server and planned to upgrade it as much as possible.
Is all the stuff for ending up with WSeB available? (....or possible?)
Also, is there a tool for creating new CD's including latest drivers and fixpaks?
(Without being a computer scientist.....:-)
3. manuals are indeed interesting, and I hope I can get back to this when I
have the hardware on hand.

Another thing: SCSI etc.
This is all new to me and I welcome any advise with a setup solution.
(No need for huge disks though.)

Raiko

RobertM

Quote from: Raiko on 2007.07.07, 19:23:54
Thanks Robert,
I will place an order for this one, and hopefully my IBM reseller can provide one
as they have stated. (Might take some time though.)

Your notes:
1. Will have 2 GB RAM

Will work fine and be plenty of memory for virtually any eCS or OS/2 Setup. Installing and using something like Virtual PC may be the only type of thing I can think of (off the top of my head) that more memory might be nice (for the virtual sessions).

2. I've got Warp Server and planned to upgrade it as much as possible.

There are FixPacks available. If you are using Warp Server v4, you may have to update the install disks with newer drivers. There are plenty of instructions online (and with the Warp Server v4 package) that tell you how to do that... I think you may need Warp Server v4 Advanced to enable SMP.

Is all the stuff for ending up with WSeB available? (....or possible?)

Yes and no. By available, yes - if you buy WSeB - or eCS with the Server Kit. But "no" as something you can just upgrade by downloading fixpacks.

Warp Server v4 is Warp v3 with Lan Server v4 on top. So, WSeB (or eCS) is the next version... based off Warp 4.52 (eCS) or Warp 4.5, 4.51, 4.52 (for WSeB - depending on the WSeB release)... So WSeB and eCS are based off newer versions of Warp than either Warp Server v4 or Warp client v4 release.

Your best option may be buying eCS with the SMP upgrade, or getting eCS v2 when released (which includes it) - or finding a copy of WSeB on eBay or elsewhere. I personally exclusively use WSeB on my IBM Servers, and a combination of WSeB (as "Additional Server") or eCS on my client stations.

Also, is there a tool for creating new CD's including latest drivers and fixpaks?
(Without being a computer scientist.....:-)

Yes, for Warp 4 and eCS... for Warp Server v4, I dont know - but I dont think so. You can update the Warp Server v4 drivers though and re-burn the CD. Will take a little work though as you need to know what you are doing... and may need to incorporate some or all of the various FixPacks into the disk as well.

3. manuals are indeed interesting, and I hope I can get back to this when I
have the hardware on hand.

Well, I keep a decent repository of hardware manuals (usually service manuals, though on the IBMs I own or are interested in, I usually try to grab any manual about the machine)... so they wont be going anywhere if you need them. I like archiving them to my server because things like that tend to go missing for months at a time or become hard to locate on IBMs (or Lenovo's) site.

Another thing: SCSI etc.

SCSI should work fine with WSeB - and SATA... but they may need updated drivers. IBM saying that the machine works on Warp may mean "For those users who own a Software Choice License and can download the updated drivers" - or it may mean the drivers are in WSeB... I know my machine required 0 driver updates... (though I did update to SNAP Full Version).

Either way, SCSI and SATA are easy ones... the drivers are easily available - with SCSI probably being already on the WSeB and eCS disks, and SATA on the eCS disks - and a simple download of DANIS506 for WSeB.

This is all new to me and I welcome any advise with a setup solution.
(No need for huge disks though.)

Raiko

Huge disks are also supported... JFS for the large partitions, HPFS (or JFS) for the ones under approx 64GB. One note about using HPFS on anything over about 36GB... BootManager will report the drive as some weird negative value - but the drive will work fine. "Cosmetic" problem only.

Any questions you have along the way, just fire 'em off... I usually check the forums daily.

-Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Raiko

QuoteYour best option may be buying eCS with the SMP upgrade, or getting eCS v2 when released (which includes it) - or finding a copy of WSeB on eBay or elsewhere. I personally exclusively use WSeB on my IBM Servers, and a combination of WSeB (as "Additional Server") or eCS on my client stations.

I have several eCS1.2 and Warp 4.5 licenses, so do you mean I could install eCS1.2, SMP Upgrade and add
"server parts (+ fixes)" from Warp Server 4 ?
Thinking of what I've already got I feel that buying eCS server is far to expensive. If they had a reasonable upgrade
price I would consider that to avoid a complicated installation.
Anyway, I'll keep searching eBay for WSeB.

RobertM

You may be able to install the server components from WS4, but I am not sure... havent tried that. You could from WSeB onto Warp v4.52

Why do you need the server components? Other than SMP? There is a way to install the SMP support - which is primarily what you would need. You dont want to install those components from WS4 as the kernel (key part) and network drivers (as well as I believe the Adaptec U320 SCSI drivers) which use I20 if memory serves (which wont be in WS4).

First, I'd try installing Warp v4.5 and see if it gives you the SMP option during the installation... if not, eCS v2 will. Otherwise, look for WSeB. And next try finding the instructions on changing Warp 4.5x from UNI to SMP kernel and drivers. And then as a last resort would be buying the SMP pack.

As an addition, you could purchase the server components - but that is not necessary for SMP. Just to allow your machine to control an OS/2 Warp network.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Raiko

Well, it looks like I'll be quite busy for a while unless someone reading this could sell
me a WSeB  :)
No luck at eBay yet and where else to look for it?
If anyone knows please let me know.

Raiko

Turns out that the 8648-ECG wasn't available after all, but another company
has a 8488-ECG for sale.

Just one thing about the processor:
Read somewhere that SMP kernel could be used for a processor with Hyper-Threading Technology
so I tried that on another machine and it resulted in an incredibly slow system.

The 8488-ECG comes with one Intel Xeon processor with HT. If I add a second processor I have to use
the SMP kernel so what will then be the result?

mobybrick

Quote from: Raiko on 2007.07.25, 10:49:42
Just one thing about the processor:
Read somewhere that SMP kernel could be used for a processor with Hyper-Threading Technology
so I tried that on another machine and it resulted in an incredibly slow system.

The 8488-ECG comes with one Intel Xeon processor with HT. If I add a second processor I have to use
the SMP kernel so what will then be the result?

Adding another processor would, I think, be OK. Here is another myth of the Wintel world: Hyperthreading give you more logical CPUs. Well, it does, in a way, but the second core is not a real one. A 'hyper-thread' logical CPU exists to help the OS in task and thread scheduling. Windows 2000 runs very slow with HT enabled, because it does not 'realise' that the second logical core is not a real CPU (and as a pair are unable to work as efficiently as dual cores) and the task scheduling is not optimal.

I'd guess also that the (old) OS/2 kernel doesn't realise the second HT CPU is not a real one, and attempts to assign it tasks symetrically.

Windows XP, on the other hand, does know what an HT 'CPU' is and hence can schedule tasks optimally. However, it gives a very small performance boost anyway.

You are far better off turning hyperthreading off, and adding a 'real' second CPU...

Regards,
Moby.

Raiko

Unfortunately the 8488-ECG was not available either so it seems I have to go for one of the newest models.
And then I have some questions:
How does 2 CPU's perform compared to 1 duo core.......and what about quad core ?

RobertM

It really depends on a lot of factors... such as:

(1) CPU multicore design (interconnect bus on the plastic between the cores and the external busses)
(2) design of the single core, multi cpu system.

(1) For instance, some CPUs have a somewhat less capable bus between chips which can slow down processing compared to some of their competitors.

(2) Most of the "big" IBMs have a very high speed bus between physical CPUs - often with multiple bus controllers, and sometimes with a fiber interconnect.

Thus, option #2 on some IBMs is better than certain multicore setups. Option #1 on an IBM should be pretty decent.

I dunno if that makes much sense...

Either way, there are numerous xSeries 2-Way, 4-Way and more systems on eBay for very cheap... here's one for instance... (dual 3.6GHz CPU) - IIRC this is definitely supported by Warp Server for e-Business (I wouldnt try an earlier version though unless you wanted to spend a bunch of time updating disks and looking for drivers).

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-eServer-xSeries-346-x346-SCSI-RAID-Server-2x3-6GHz_W0QQitemZ280156884589QQihZ018QQcategoryZ11215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a beautiful machine...

And while that one is kind of expensive, this one isnt (dual 3.06GHz):
http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-xSeries-345-DUAL-P4-XEON-3-06Ghz-1024Mb-2U-Server_W0QQitemZ290165731628QQihZ019QQcategoryZ11215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are tons more in many price ranges...

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|